What can be done with python in Linux?

Chat about Linux in general

What can be done with python in Linux?

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:21 pm

This may sound like a stupid questions so im posting it here. What can you do with python in linux? Can I customize my linux via python or do I need to learn some other languages? What is python used for in linux? Currently, my only experience with python is making games. However, I would like to start solving real life problems with python. Also, are there any good projects for a begginer to intermediate python programmer? I would eventually like to contribute something special to the Linux community, but not until at least 3+ months down the road. If anyone would like to talk to me about python one on one please let me know in this topic. I look forward to experiencing my programming potential to the fullest! :D
Running on ancient hardware and a mediocre laptop.
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What can be done with python in Linux?

Postby xenopeek on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:18 am

I answered a somewhat similar question to another poster wanting to do Python programming and contribute to Linux Mint here: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=149856#p784188. The Mint tools (Software Manager, Update Manager, etc.) are all written in Python.

The Python website lists several resources for finding Python projects: https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonProjects
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you very much, xenopeek. It looks like I will be able to contribute via the Mint Tools. I could start by fixing bugs, since I like to work off existing code. Is virtual box really required? I think that if I just backed up my Mint Tools to a flash drive before changing anything, and from there attempt to fix any bugs on my current install. I will be on the developer Xchat and go from there! :D
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:53 pm

VirtualBox is just a suggestion, also given because the other poster was new to Python. I prefer to use VirtualBox myself for experimenting but if you are comfortable without it, that's of course perfectly fine :)

Regardless of that, it can be handy to have VirtualBox around so you can easily test any fixes you do on a clean install of Linux Mint (or just boot the Linux Mint ISO into live session in VirtualBox), or test your fixes on different editions of Linux Mint, or for trying to reproduce issues with different versions or editions of Linux Mint than your own.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Okay, that sounds good. I made a GitHub account but am lost as what to do from there, lol. I'm on the Linux Mint Xchat right now, if you would like to talk that would be appreciated and if not thats fine too. Once I get setup and learn what to do then I will be good to go. :)
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm

If you click on a project on the Linux Mint GitHub page (https://github.com/linuxmint), you can see on the right the link to the list of open issues, open pull requests of changes submitted for review by others, and at the top right also the fork button to take a copy of the project to your own account. You work on a project with a copy of it on your own account, and you make a pull request to request the developers of the project to review your changes and possibly pull your changes into the main source. It's worth your time learning what git is and why :) I have some links on the other topic I linked you to for that.

Suggest you also take a look at the blog posts with Linux Mint 16 RC announcements, as the RC is currently publicly being tested before a final release is pushed out. Users post their findings there. Perhaps for any issues with the Mint tools you can pitch in.
MATE; http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2485
Cinnamon; http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477

The IRC isn't always busy, so depending on your timezone and availability during the week I'd try it on different times of the day also. If you want to help out, if you just start doing so by commenting on open issues on the various projects--whether you could reproduce them and possibly if you think you found a cause--that will be appreciated by the team. Saying hi to Clem and telling him you are a Python programmer and interested in helping out on the Mint tools is something you should do also. Get in with the team :wink: It might be a bit hectic and very busy right now, as the team is clamoring to go through all the findings and fixing things up before the final release later this month.

I'm closing down for today, so not meeting you on IRC today. Perhaps catch you another day :D
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Chat about Linux