Aus Ubuntu Laptops being advertised by Majors.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Aus Ubuntu Laptops being advertised by Majors.

Post by Orbmiser »

ASUS 1015E-DS03 10.1-Inch Laptop ( Black ) Ubuntu OS
http://www.amazon.com/1015E-DS03-10-1-I ... asus+1015e

Also being sold at Staples for $30 more.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Aus Ubuntu Laptops being advertised by Majors.

Post by cwsnyder »

I purchased an ASUS 1015E from Amazon. Ubuntu 12.04 was installed on this machine and seemed to work fine, but Unity is not my choice in desktop.

WARNING: If you are thinking of buying and then installing Mint, be aware that this notebook has UEFI installed and working by default. You may have problems, or you may not, if you completely erase Ubuntu 12.04.

My experience: I haven't explored enough to find the daily builds for the main edition Mint developers, so I thought I would install the Xubuntu Trusty Tahr alpha to check out the experience of replacing Ubuntu 12.04 with another distribution, possibly to be replaced by LMDE or Mint 17 at a later date. I downloaded the daily build of Trusty Tahr from the (X)Ubuntu site, checked the MD5sum, used Xfburn to burn it to DVD-RW, rebooted the ASUS and got to the GRUB screen with no problems. First, I selected the menu selection to check the disk prior to installation. This completed successfully.

It took me two tries to install properly (an intermediate unsuccessful installation seemed to be in Arabic?/Hindi?/Pharsi? I did not recognize the characters and am somewhat familiar with the Korean, Japanese, and Mandarin characters as well as the Latin-based alphabets and Cyrillic characters), but the installation seems to have installed properly with UEFI and runs well. Display is 1366x768. The touchpad I personally don't like, as there are no distinct buttons: two areas at the bottom of the pad are designated for buttons, and they do 'click' somewhat, but the surface is what tilts, and even the button surface is touch sensitive. Someone else may like this, but I seem to have trouble selecting with the touchpad. The pointer seems to move just as I am trying to press the 'button'.

I can post further specifications if requested.

Return to “Chat about Linux”