Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Is Linuxmint really for seriously working people?

Postby hanspb on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:19 am

@Mike Acker: Darktable has local editing. Check out the current version 1.4.1 at www.darktable.org.
-----------------
http://hpbirkeland.com
hanspb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mike acker on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 am

hanspb wrote:@Mike Acker: Darktable has local editing. Check out the current version 1.4.1 at http://www.darktable.org.

that could be highly interesting. I just installed RECOLL which is a system search utility. as I have around 580GB on my hard drive these days I need a good search utility.

RECOLL indexed my entire hard drive. I took about 4 hours to do it but as that's done now it is supposed to keep itself up to date. I scheduled it to update at 10AM daily.

the interesting thins is RECOLL finds images immediatly as well for me -- if I have renamed the image with a suitable file name ( title ) .

I had kinda resisted data base type application programs for two reasons -- (1) I don't want it to hide my files in its own data base: i want to have the usual access via the folder program, and (2) added use of system resources

so it appears RECOLL is going to be a good addition here and I'll probably re-think the database thing. My brother is a Creative Suite addict; it would be interesting to see if this DarkTable could be an alternative for him. I really want to get him away from his Windmill.
Home assembled box using ASUS M5A88-M motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz cpu
mike acker
Level 4
Level 4

Postby linux_rules on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:01 am

You guys will probably laugh but the fact is I consider Windows as a "offline" OS meaning you are not suppose to browse the web with it !!!

The last time I used Windows was 2008. From 2009 - present I am a full time Linux user.

I had purchased a hp scanner and a cannon printer back in 2005. These two didnt work under Linux. The printer was really a cheap one and it went bad so its no longer an issue. The scanner still works but I dont need to scan that often anymore. I have tested this scanner under Virtualbox WinXP guest and it works fine so that issue is solved too. As I said before I dont consider Windows secure enough to face the Internet so I just disable networking for the WinXP guest.
linux_rules
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux