What is your favorite or least favorite desktop

Chat about Linux in general

Re: What is your favorite or least favorite desktop

Postby craig10x on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Unity is my favorite desktop....after i left windows, but before discovering linux, i used a mac for about a year and really liked it (but decided not to stay apple because of the high hardware costs) so Unity makes me feel right at home as that desktop is very "mac-like" :wink:

The Unity launcher (which is really just a dock) is easy and intuitive to use...i just put my favorites and most used apps on it for quick "1 click" access...couldn't be easier!
Then for those rarely used apps like the terminal, i just bring them up in the dash "search"...easy as can be... :D

I also like the global menu top panel....saves space!
craig10x
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby exploder on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:50 pm

Unity here too! Unity should provide the same experience across all devices at some point in the near future. Canonical is doing a better job than Microsoft and Apple at re-inventing the user interface and I like the fresh ideas they are coming up with. I like most every desktop environment and they all have their uses but I think that Ubuntu will end up on top in the enterprise in the near future.

Canonical has put more focus on quality since they started developing their own user interface. I see way less bugs in Ubuntu than I have in the past and their decisions to fork some packages rather than go with bleeding edge has made them a much better distribution than they have been in the past. I know things will change when Unity 8 enters the scene but then again that is why interim releases exist in the first place.

The focus on quality, stability and honest to goodness independent development has changed my view of Ubuntu. These folks finally have the right idea and I look forward to new versions of Unity. Some are always going to complain, that is just the way it is but Unity has some originality to it and it is really shaping up to be a nice modern approach to spanning across multiple devices.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby wanderer7 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Cinnamon - my favorite desktop
MATE - friendly enough for ex-windows users (just like Cinnamon), so it's good :)
GNOME in general - very good, but I prefer one of its forks (see above :wink: )
KDE - very good, this one is kool 8)
LXDE - I haven't tried it yet: distros I've installed, didn't have it and running from a live usb doesn't count. You won't know how good a DE is, until you try it in everyday computing.
Xfce - same as LXDE
Enlightenment - I like it, one day I might start using E
Unity - actually, it's not bad. For tablets and touchscreens it can be much better than the destop of windows 8. Now I imagined Unity without "Amazonware" (as one of the forum members called it) and it's good enough, I must say.

So, my favorite DE is Cinnamon, I don't have the least favorite one.

By the way, in my opinion, two distros which have the most beautiful desktops are: 1) Netrunner with a KDE Plasma and 2) Bodhi Linux with Enlightenment. Elementary OS has a nice desktop as well, but as a rule, OS X like environments aren't for me.
wanderer7
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cornleader on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:58 pm

craig10x wrote:Unity is my favorite desktop....after i left windows, but before discovering linux, i used a mac for about a year and really liked it (but decided not to stay apple because of the high hardware costs) so Unity makes me feel right at home as that desktop is very "mac-like" :wink:

The Unity launcher (which is really just a dock) is easy and intuitive to use...i just put my favorites and most used apps on it for quick "1 click" access...couldn't be easier!
Then for those rarely used apps like the terminal, i just bring them up in the dash "search"...easy as can be... :D

I also like the global menu top panel....saves space!
WOW! Unity? Just joking :lol:

Funny you say "rarely used apps like the terminal". I think that is the first app I open. I also amazed at the amount of XFCE lovers out there, I never really gave it a chance I guess. I installed it and I think I'll spend some time configuring it.

I am also amazed at the Ciniman lovers. I still perfer Mate, Love mintMenu :D
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Gimz on Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:33 pm

i'm new to Linux, my first distro was ubuntu 12.04 LTS with unity i found it sluggish and unresponsive.
i end up with linux mint 15 mate which i found comportable to use and configure. i've been trying a lot of
distros and de's but i always go back linux mint mate. Currently trying Mint 16 cinnamon on my dell 630 laptop
which seems to be fine also. But I still prefer Mint LMDE mate which i installed on my intel desktop. :)
Gimz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby craig10x on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

@cornleader: yeah...i am mostly a gui kind of guy...only use the terminal when absolutely necessary :wink:
Aside from unity (which i am fine with) i also like "slab menus" and when i use to run linux mint i really enjoyed the mint menu (the one you still have with mint mate)...

I never cared for the original Ubuntu desktop with the two panels and "fan out" menu...so that moved me to mint...but since i am also fond of a mac style dock, i moved back to Ubuntu again... :D

@wanderer7: Yeah, Unity is actually pretty cool and MUCH better then Windows 8 metro... it is easy to turn off the online "dash" searches in the privacy settings...so no Amazon stuff for me...
craig10x
Level 6
Level 6

Postby famicommander on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:04 pm

My favorite is either Xfce or MATE. I use them both consistently. I like traditional desktop metaphors with logically laid-out, text-based menus.

I don't use Cinnamon so I can't comment on that.

I hate Unity with a passion. It is counter-intuitive and in my way. I don't like the dock on the side, I don't like the top menu changing depending on what window you focus on, I don't like not having desktop icons. Basically, Unity has no advantages for me.

Same with GNOME. How they could go from the masterpiece that was GNOME 2.X to the garbage that is GNOME 3, I'll never know. Thank god for MATE.

I'm not big on KDE either. I don't dislike the look or feel, but in the 7+ years I've been using Linux I have NEVER had a KDE desktop behave or perform the way I wanted it to. I've always had speed or stability issues on Linux. The only good KDE experience I have ever had was with PC-BSD.

EDIT: Forgot about LXDE. I am a fan. It's lightweight, well laid out, stable.

So for me:
1. MATE
2. Xfce
3. LXDE
4. KDE
5. Dog excrement
6. GNOME 3
7. Getting punched in the face over and over
8. Unity
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MartyMint on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:32 pm

famicommander wrote:So for me:
1. MATE
2. Xfce
3. LXDE
4. KDE
5. Dog excrement
6. GNOME 3
8. Unity

That's pretty good, but I'd switch #6 and #7 around...

:wink:
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby austin.texas on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Unity would be toward the bottom of my list, as well.
Cinnamon at the top.
I probably should give LXDE a look...
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby cornleader on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:24 pm

famicommander wrote:
So for me:
1. MATE
2. Xfce
3. LXDE
4. KDE
5. Dog excrement
6. GNOME 3
8. Unity
Too Funny!! :lol:

I've been messing with XFCE because of this thread and It's not bad. I'm trying some themes and looks very customizable.
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 pm

It's really interesting seeing peoples choices and reasoning behind their choices. :) I like so many desktop environments and window managers. I guess I picked my favorites, Unity and Cinnamon because both Clem and Canonical went out on their own to build what they envisioned. I like seeing new and fresh ideas being developed rather than just following the crowd.

Canonical used to just follow the crowd, never really had much originality to offer but now they are designing their own user interface and it is fun following their development. The same thing goes for Cinnamon, Clem and most of the community wanted Mint to retain the classic desktop despite everyone else wanting to redesign everything. Cinnamon retains the traditional layout but offers a modern look and feel. Cinnamon and Unity have both been developed at a pretty fast rate and they are both a lot of fun to use.

KDE 4 has really come a long way since it's introduction, it keeps getting lighter and faster and it sure is packed with features! I do enjoy the lighter desktop environments too. Enlightenment is being actively developed again and I am amazed at how great it looks, has plenty of eye candy and yet still is very resource friendly. The PCLinuxOS Enlightenment edition is tons of fun to use, it is always current and they do an awesome job with it.

Fluxbox and Openbox are so much fun because you configure much of it by hand so to speak, it's light and very customizable. LXDE has proven to be extremely handy for me on low end computers, it has a familiar interface that anyone can use and it is a terrific replacement for people that have had enough of Windows XP. XFCE is also great for lower end hardware and is also very customizable. I use LXDE and XFCE a lot to keep old computers in use and out of the landfills. :D

MATE is also nice, it is pretty resource friendly, looks good even without compositing enabled and it really gets the job done! Mate is also very customizable and it is great that it is being actively developed. So many people liked the Gnome 2x interface and it is great that it was forked and people can still enjoy it.

Linux users really have it made! We have so many great choices and things are never boring!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Habitual on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:41 pm

cornleader wrote:I think Slackware still uses ncurses installer doesn't it?

Sure does.
My DorkBlog
Cirrhus9.com - Managed HA VDSs and Scalable grid solutions.
Habitual
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Previous1 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 pm

I've mostly tried Gnome 2 (Ubuntu 10.04, my favorite), XFCE (Mint 13 and now Xubuntu 12.04), MATE (Mint 16) and Unity. I liked some of Unity's elements but it was difficult to configure and unstable so I threw it out. The gnome shell/classic replacement was unusable. XFCE 4.10 was bugged for me, so I switched to Xubuntu which has 4.8. I like it a bit better overall than MATE, except for Thunar. So:

1. Gnome 2
2. XFCE
3. Mate
4. Unity
5. Gnome Shell
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cornleader on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 am

I'm installing 3 or 4 different distros on my desktop,its mainly for gaming but i messed it up trying to install steam os so i had to reinstall windows. 2 1TB drives. so far I got openSuse with gnome 3. Hate it. Slackware with KDE, meh. Totally messed up Arch linux so next few days I'm gonna install Gentoo. Not sure what desktop yet. I'm having fun trying the different distros and desktops. Still like Mate and I will admit I've been using XFCE on my laptop for a few days now.
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BlackVeils on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:13 pm

ok my turn.

i have tried loads of desktop environments, and xfce is the one for me, and not for old computer reasons.

when i started with linux, i didnt know you could change desktops and about the selection available. i chose the distribution Zorin because it said about being customisable, little did i understand that was because it had gnome 2. i really liked it at the time, then i discovered information that gnome 2 would become obsolete etc, so i went looking for another distribution, still not knowing about changing desktops.

i found xubuntu, and learned about xfce, it was my new favourite. the reason i prefer xfce over others, by a lot, is because its customisable in all the useful ways for me, including total freedom with panel management. the settings are quick to navigate. the fact that it is fast is a bonus. i prefer gtk, i dont want the hassle of a kde desktop and using compatible programs. i also discovered a few programs from the xfce desktop which i have stayed with due to preference:
thunar file manager
ristretto image viewer
xfce terminal (eventually switched to lxterminal)
leafpad text editor
gthumb picture manager
xfburn

i like things minimal, yet functional. i have stayed with/gone back to xfce for about 2 years, anything else was very short-term exploration.
me = objective, discerning, reasonable, private, introspective, philosophical, circumspect, misanthropic, loyal...
BlackVeils
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 3mutts on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 am

Favorites in general: Cinnamon, KDE, Unity (with some tweaking)

Favorite Lightweight: XFCE, LXDE

Least Favorites in general: Gnome 3, Windows 8 Modern UI

Least Favorite Lightweight: Openbox

Reasons:

Cinnamon: VERY customizable, easy to use, traditional

KDE: Same as Cinnamon but with more eye candy

Unity: Give the crap that you will but I actually really like Unity, I love the dock at the side, the dash, and the heads up display. Also with some tweaking, Unity can look really pretty.

XFCE: With the Whisker Menu, XFCE can look really good on old computers

LXDE: Not as nice as XFCE but it runs faster than it so...

Gnome 3: The Gnome developers must be on some kind of drug, Gnome 3 is dumbed down to much for my liking and takes many one or two step processes into multiple steps (opening a application, resizing a window, ect)

Windows 8 Modern UI: I don't want a stupid phone interface on my desktop and I also hate that you changed the BSOD to a mocking frowny face, thanks Microsoft....

Openbox: I just found it too difficult to use and set up
3mutts
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RacerBG on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:55 am

What? :shock:

I have Crunch Bang installed on my PC and I must say that OB is not harder than the others WM. Of course tweaking DE is easier but WM gives you real freedom.

Unity: Give the crap that you will but I actually really like Unity, I love the dock at the side, the dash, and the heads up display. Also with some tweaking, Unity can look really pretty.

I agree but it will be resource hungry.
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Previous1 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:44 am

I've tried Crunchbang the other day and quite liked it (though I didn't feel ready for it yet). It's great IF you can/want cope with the keyboard and terminal/text configurations. Amongst others there's less complexity/bugs from DE or GUI intermediaries.

If you can't probably save yourself the frustration and stick to XFCE.
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Postby 3mutts on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:14 am

RacerBG wrote:

What? :shock:

I have Crunch Bang installed on my PC and I must say that OB is not harder than the others WM. Of course tweaking DE is easier but WM gives you real freedom.

I agree but it will be resource hungry.

My first distro using was Manjaro so maybe that has something to do with it, but I do like the look of Openbox in Crunch Bang.
3mutts
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anandrkris on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 am

TL;DR...

Short answer - Cinnamon

I have been using Linux as desktop for a year or so. Started with KDE but been using Cinnamon for past 6 months or so.

Why Cinnamon?

1. Simple Traditional layout yet with Innovative features - Window Snapping, Window Tiling (very useful on my 24 ''' LED monitor)
2. Stable DE
3. Active development incorporating feedback from users (once on a real-time basis a suggestion of mine was implemented by Clem)
4. Fast evolving ecosystem of Applets / Desklets. (Not there yet in terms of variety, miss some KDE widgets)

Plus I find no major issues and work gets done. For instance, even the File Manager - Nemo is very functional - not as powerful as Dolphin, viz, copy queue, embedded terminal,etc but is evolving.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux