Anyone try Steam OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone try Steam OS

Post by cornleader »

I did. Be warned it will erase your whole HD. I found out the hard way. :cry:
I Installed a new 1TB drive for my windows powerhouse gaming machine. Thought I would try Steam OS and figured during the installation it would allow me to select the drive to install it to. Everything went fine until the part where I saw " formatting /dev/sda".

...I lost so much stuff. Programming projects, Original music, pictures bla bla bla. Yes I know it's my own fault.I took it rather well. I installed Win 7 to drive A with room left over for another linux OS. Disconnected the power to drive A and installed Steam OS to Drive B. It uses the whole hard drive. Can't install it to a partition. Swapped drives and windows wouldn't start. bootmgr issue. easy fix. Now I have both drives installed, must use F12 during post to select physcial drive to boot from.

Need to figure out how to work with 1 boot manager. From what I read. Cant be done.

Anyone else have any horror stories to share?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Chat about Linux”