If I had the words.

Chat about Linux in general

If I had the words.

Postby s1l3n7x1 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:36 am

First off I would like to say Hello to the Linux World! This is my 3rd or 4th round at trying to get this up and going. And hopefully will be my last. Not at all the type of person who socializes or asks questions so this might be a good thing. So I was wondering if any of you guys ever experiance an annoying... Let me be a little more clear about this subject before I start looking like the annoying little whinny kid that doesnt know what he's doing because that could be the case. What I've noticed since I've tried to "navagate" my way around these new operating systems and the internet in general is an annoying individual or two that really makes the internet kind of difficult to enjoy. I feel or think this to be true because this is what Ive focused on for the past 1 1/2. People who envade your space or force there way into the network and hack into your computer/Ipod/ipad/iphone/tablet/ext. Of course I will not bring up any names or personal info of these individuals or members that I know are hacking into my stuff. I mean these people hacked into my router and are bold enough to just hang around and stay while Im trying to boot them off as much as I possibly can. But theres another side to this story and I just want to be fair even to these people that are just blantly rude and disrespecpful. Im not the type that likes to "share" or work off another computer or network. You stay on your side of the street and so will I if your gonna run the place. Thus answering a pretty big part of my question about understanding a little bit about networking and easing of the ignorance, but what do you do with individuals that are noticably toying and fiddling with your stuff? Im very new to the open source type community and did not think that it would be this way. On top of that its much easier in my opinion to see it actually happening. All in all I do have to admit that it's actually one of the most enjoyable things I do on the net is nudging away people that basically try and do take over your stuff. But theres times where you just want something to go smoothly for a change instead of using a virtual stick (excuse me) to nudge these people off of you. Now I dont know if theres an actual question here for anybody to answer. And well I dont expect there to be many answers either so I guess Ill just call it my intro to Linux. And something that I needed to get off my chest.
s1l3n7x1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: If I had the words.

Postby s1l3n7x1 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:56 am

Oh and if any of you guys know of a good place to go where the topics usually geared and focused more towards pen testing, security and or your ethical guys let me know.
s1l3n7x1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobafetthotmail on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 am

Thieves will be thieves. Open source does not stop evil. :mrgreen:

If you are talking of kiddies cracking your wifi router, then it's probably just because you either set it up wrong OR the router itself is a piece of trash and has vulnerabilities they exploit.

General advice is, set encryption to WPA2, use 30-char-long passwords composed by random letters, numbers and symbols, turn off the feature called WPS or Wifi Protected Setup which is a known vulnerability (some routers can't disable it or even if you disable it they still leave it enabled). And of course do the same for the router's password.
More extreme measures would be to turn off the DHCP server feature of the router and set up fixed IP addresses for all your stuff. This way anything not using a known device to connect to the router will be rejected.

For more serious needs, Kali Linux is a distro focused on pen-testing I sometimes use to show how bad is someone's setup, it's the successor of the well-known Backtrack, and probably the same distro the kiddies are using to crack your stuff. http://www.kali.org/
their forums (where you can find better advice) are here http://forums.kali.org/

Googling "kali linux crack wifi" will yeld tons of tutorials, so it does not take a genius to use it (which makes it easier to defend against most such attempts).
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby s1l3n7x1 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:25 am

Hey thanks Boba! I actually just got of the phone with a buddy of mine that really knows his stuff when it comes to this and he basically said exactly what you just posted. Thank you for replying. Going to bookmark this one. Out!
s1l3n7x1
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux