An Office Suite as an example of how an install should be.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whatsupagn

An Office Suite as an example of how an install should be.

Post by whatsupagn »

Using Linux is quite a learning curve and installing software can be a nightmare. I have settled on Mint 16 32 bit, KDE and find it impressive. I have used Open Office Org for some time but had reason to look at other options. The default Linux LibreOffice is good, same thing really. However as an example of friendly installation I have yet to find anything better or easier or faster than Softmaker Office Suite. It really is a delight and also reflected in the final software product. Download initiates an email instruction detailing clearly which version is needed for your OS. An installation file is selected and about a minute later there are three icons on your desktop. And the software WORKS. It just about restores faith in Linux and certainly Mint 16. If all software showed such intelligence we'd be home and hosed.
The free version is comprehensive enough, the paid up version adds a great mail merge too. I am on the verge of forgetting MS exists.
In my opinion the Softmaker Office Suite is so good that I must pass it on to enjoy. All we need now is a decent easy to use Linux WYSIWYG html editor like Sitespinner.
yeldraw

Re: An Office Suite as an example of how an install should be.

Post by yeldraw »

Bit late since this is an old post but Sitespinner works well in Mint 17 and 18 and earlier with WINE and WINETRICKS installed.
With winetricks you can install the following win dll files.
MSLS31
RICHED20
RICHED30
RICHTX32
VB6RUN
VCRUN2005

Do that and Sitspinner should run no problem.

Return to “Chat about Linux”