Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

A bit dated but just came across and wonder how relevant it is today?

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/l ... -back.html
Mr. Starks, I am sure you strongly believe in what you are doing but I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful. These children look up to adults for guidance and discipline.
And exactly what is there for the children to look up to?
Ignorance? Intolerance? Being a Tool?

Just scratching my head here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Post by DrHu »

I remember that article, it is just an an example of an overzealous bureaucrat to manage/control their charges (students..)

The trouble is that the bureaucrat is essentially correct in their opinion: windows is exactly everywhere
--you only have to watch political/tv/news or dramas on TV to see the windows flag logo draped across all computers being shown, either in a windows based screensaver or as a product placement with a stick-on at the back of a monitor.
  • And bureaucrats or indeed most people are not known for being open-minded, in fact the natural position is to be closed minded and value one's own opinion more than any data that should present itself..
Trying to force or somehow persuade someone to change their mind and look at other than MS OSs' and applications is almost a losing battle: like being stuck in quicksand and being slowly pulled under..

The only thing most; maybe all decision makers for these product placements recognize is that there is safety in numbers and just to go along with the standards in place whether it really makes sense (costs more in support or training) or not
--you don't get fired for agreeing with your boss.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Indeed it is dated (2008!) but surprising how relevant it still is.

At least we can take solace in the fact that Linux has indeed gained traction in the meanwhile (and only gotten better!), while m$ has shot itself in the foot with Win8, providing motivation to those on the fence to seek alternatives.

m$ itself sees the end of its reign as the desktop os monopolite, as it diversifies to gaming and mobile editions. Last I read, m$ office is far more profitable for them than any of their os's anyway. Too bad Libre Office is only 1/2 step behind m$ office - wait until THAT cat gets out of the bag.
passerby

Post by passerby »

No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful.
I don't know whether to laugh or facepalm.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

And so then there is also the Noose around educations collective neck.

Blame FUD for Microsoft’s Dominance in Schools
http://fossforce.com/2014/01/blame-fud- ... n-schools/
“It might even be illegal for us to remove Microsoft Office or Windows from previously purchased computers,
due to the vendor agreement the school district signed with Microsoft.”
What did I hope to gain from said glimpse? I wanted to know how much money AISD was spending on Microsoft software. Nothing more.

It seems they finally got tired of dealing with me.

After a three year battle I got a message on my cell phone informing me I could indeed get the information. I excitedly returned the call only to find that the person was out for lunch. I said I would call back. Before I had the chance to do so though, one of the administrators at AISD headquarters beat me to it.

Oh yeah, she said, it had finally been decided that I could look at that vendor agreement…for a $2,000 administrative fee.
FreedomOfTheOpenCode

Post by FreedomOfTheOpenCode »

I guess the teacher thought it would encourage piracy.
Last edited by FreedomOfTheOpenCode on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

The irony about both of theses stories is that Linux actually taught me MORE about my PC than Windows could ever do. After reading theses, I feel lucky that our school is beginning to phase out Windows/Office and replacing them with Chrome OS (Linux)/Google Docs.

Return to “Chat about Linux”