[SOLVED] Lxde on Mate^

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garzy69

[SOLVED] Lxde on Mate^

Post by garzy69 »

I read that XFCE 4.10 uses more Ram than Mate 1.6, so I thought of installing LXDE on Mate Debian Edition for my netbook.(ram=1Gb)
Then remove Mate so I have a semi-rolling LXDE-Debian.
But also in this case surely there would be dependences with Gnome, so then which files remove then?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Lxde on Mate^

Post by nomko »

You an install LMDE+Xfce first and after installation installing the LXDE desktop environment and remove the Xfce components.
Last edited by nomko on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Why first xfce?
Can I remove really all the xfce components then?
And what about Mate then?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

While what you propose can certainly be done, I think it much easier, and cleaner to just choose a Debian based distro that uses LXDE as it's default desktop. Or, build you own from a Debian net install.

Either way, I see no reason to install XFCE only to un-install it.
nomko

Post by nomko »

garzy69 wrote:Why first xfce?
Can I remove really all the xfce components then?
yes, it's easier to remove all Xfce components than removing Gnome components or KDE components.
garzy69 wrote:And what about Mate then?
Mate is also a nice DE. It's a fork of good old Gnome2 with some improvements. You can run it on older systems as well.
Neil Edmond wrote:While what you propose can certainly be done, I think it much easier, and cleaner to just choose a Debian based distro that uses LXDE as it's default desktop. Or, build you own from a Debian net install.
Either way, I see no reason to install XFCE only to un-install it.
Ofcourse you made a point here. But then the topic starter has to find an distro which he/she likes and is familiar with.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

instead of fully removing mate I would suggest to uninstall only the desktop components. there are a lot of packages depends on gnome-mate components.
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Yes kurotsugi that's my target! But which are the things to remove? :?
I just want only the LXDE desktop. :wink:
nomko

Post by nomko »

garzy69 wrote:Yes kurotsugi that's my target! But which are the things to remove? :?
I just want only the LXDE desktop. :wink:
Just a question: why not installing Lubuntu? With Lubuntu you have only the Lxde desktop.

To delete Mate (components) try this:
  • open synaptic
  • search for mate-metapackage
  • mark it for removal (and with this all other selected packages which are dependencies)
  • click Apply
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Because I want long support only, and Lubuntu is not LTS.
:wink:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that's not true. lubuntu also has LTS.
I rarely use synaptic but if that trick above didn't work you can use 'sudo aptitude purge ~nmate' this command will purge everything with 'mate' in his name. you might also need to run 'sudo aptitude $(deborphan --guess-all)' combined with 'sudo apt-get autoremove' several times until there's no packages removed.
nomko

Post by nomko »

garzy69 wrote:Because I want long support only, and Lubuntu is not LTS.
:wink:
Ubuntu and it's "family members" Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu do have an LTS version:
  • 6.06 LTS - no longer supported
  • 8.04 LTS - no longer supported
  • 10.04 LTS - no longer supported
  • 12.04 LTS - supported till April 2017
  • 14.04 LTS - supported till April 2019
Linux Mint 13 Maya is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin"
Linux Mint 17 Quinta will be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Thar"

All other version in between have a 6 months schedule with a 9 month life cycle.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Unlike Ubuntu, Lubuntu 12.04 is not a LTS, this version will be supported for 18 months.
- http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1204-now-available
Lightweight LXDE-based Lubuntu will issue its first ever Long Term Support release in April 2014. As with Xubuntu and regular Ubuntu, it comes with a guaranteed five years of security patches, critical bug fixes and maintenance.
- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/expe ... -14-04-lts
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

I know that only Ubuntu is LTS.
Lubuntu,Xubuntu,Kubuntu are supported only for 18 mouths.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the 18 month support is from lubuntu devs. you still could get all security patches, backport, and upgrades from canonical as good as ubuntu LTS. in my point of view the differences between ubuntu and his childs are the default installed package and DE. there would be no significant differences between ubuntu and his childs.
nomko

Post by nomko »

garzy69 wrote:I know that only Ubuntu is LTS.
Lubuntu,Xubuntu,Kubuntu are supported only for 18 mouths.
Not completely correct:

Xubuntu does have a LTS version: check here

Lubuntu will have their first LTS version when Lubuntu 14.04 will be released.

Kubuntu does have a LTS version: check here

All LTS version have 5 years support.
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Yes I see.
I was interested in Lubuntu LTS version. Until now there was no such version.

Thanks a lot.
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Ok let's wait for to see the 14.10 release of Lubuntu with Qt. :wink:
nomko

Post by nomko »

garzy69 wrote:Ok let's wait for to see the 14.10 release of Lubuntu with Qt. :wink:
Lxde-QT and the developers of the Razor-QT desktop environment are now co-operation together. I think this is a very positive development for Lxde in general. As i already played a bit with the Razor-QT desktop environment, emplementing such desktop environment will surely benefit Lxde and it's users. It looks much modern than the "good old" Lxde environment. And beside that, with Lxde-QT you can run QT applications.

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1046
Last edited by nomko on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
garzy69

Post by garzy69 »

Yes...let's see what happens... :D
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Except that Lubuntu 14.10, even with Qt, will NOT be an LTS version. If you want LTS and Qt on LXDE, you will have to wait until Lubuntu 16.10.

At present, there is NO LTS version with the LXDE desktop as its base, period, AFAIK. Debian Wheezy supports LXDE, but is not per se an LTS release, although it will probably be supported for more than 5 years from this date with backports and security updates for server based software. RHEL/CentOS/*BSD, again, AFAIK, don't actively support LXDE (although you might find a supported version with GNOME 2.x).

You could install Lubuntu 14.04 Alpha from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily/pending/ (note, this is a temporary link) and just keep updating until April 2019, if you wish.

Return to “Chat about Linux”