Linux ready laptops

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RacerBG

Linux ready laptops

Post by RacerBG »

Week after week I'm checking our weekly shop newspapers which tells you what is there and for what price. There are not very interesting but I found something interesting: At the laptop section more and more laptops avoid ready to run Windows and instead they put either FREE DOS or Linux (most probably Ubuntu). However there are laptops with Windows 8/8.1.

FREE DOS laptops: HP, Lenovo
Linux laptops: Acer
Windows 8 laptops: VAIO (they claim that they have laptops with Windows 8.1 but most of them should be upgraded manually)

Interesting thing which can be followed is the development of their thinking about shareware software. Before a few years they offered only Windows 7 Home Premium laptops and very rare FREE DOS laptops. Nowadays like you can see they even offer Linux laptops. Result: their price is about 15%-20% lower! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Linux ready laptops

Post by passerby »

I hope the trend continues. Over here (Australia) I don't think I've ever seen a laptop with Linux pre-installed.
Many stores are offering Win7 again, since Win8 drove customers away, and there's the occasional mention of a Chromebook, but mostly it's just Win8(.1) and OSX.
A Lenovo laptop with Free DOS seems like a good option for anyone looking for a Linux laptop. Can't speak from experience with Acer.
anandrkris

Re: Linux ready laptops

Post by anandrkris »

I remember reading about Dell's efforts on manufacturing a Linux laptop - "Project Sputnik". Not sure if it available in all regions except US / Canada.

Return to “Chat about Linux”