Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Why Mint is better for Windows XP Users

Postby Crewp on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:34 am

My 2 cents is, if Ubuntu is advertising that's good. I cut my Linux teeth on Ubuntu, like allot of Linux user's have. Once you learn a little about Linux, and all the distro's, you start the distro hop, and when you find your comfort distro, well your home. :mrgreen:
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Eggnog on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm not sure what's better for XP users, truthfully. I would posit that there will be quite a number who have no plans to move away from it any time soon, particularly those who don't use their PCs all that often except to check email and browse the web for some information. Others may just lock down and ride out the predicted apocalypse proposed by the hysterical. Some probably aren't even aware of the whole support cutoff thing, and may not have any idea what it might mean even if they did.

I'm surprised at the number of XP users I actually know. I've helped two of them when they've asked. For one I installed SolydX and the other SolydK. I got them all set up and haven't heard a peep out of either one so things must be running all right. I settled on Solyd because of the update cycle and not having to completely reinstall every time some distro wants to upgrade to a new release. That bit of process will put any number of people off. I could have waited and used Mint 17 LTS but Solyd will work just fine for those two folks.

Microsoft is starting to stress over it, it seems. I read where they will offer $100 off any Win 8 PC bought through the Microsoft store to anyone "upgrading" from XP, so long at the PC costs at least $699, I think. I would bet XP users won't be abandoning ship in droves, though, and probably not to Win 8 in large numbers. It will take a while for them to migrate, and likely won't be the stampede toward Win 8 Microsoft is praying for.
Eggnog
Level 2
Level 2

Postby InkKnife on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:00 pm

The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade. This alert will pop up once a month, apparently forever.
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pierre on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 am

"The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade"

just remove KB2934207, check the box to not prompt again.
Easy fixed.

- disable updates & keep the AV up2date.
good for another few years, or so .. ..

- barring any H/W failures, that is.
Pierre
Level 7
Level 7

Postby KBD47 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I think that warning might scare some users into buying new computers, which of course is what Microsoft wants.
I think XP has been unsecure for years. XP viruses are what brought me to Linux. I can't imagine the situation will get any better without the security patches. Just sad to think how many of those useful old machines will end up in landfills. I've already received two such machines in the past few months and have them happily running Linux.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby InkKnife on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 am

Pierre wrote:"The last XP Windows update that will install a script that pops up an alert telling users to upgrade"

just remove KB2934207, check the box to not prompt again.
Easy fixed.

- disable updates & keep the AV up2date.
good for another few years, or so .. ..

- barring any H/W failures, that is.

Sometimes experts forget that what we know is not universal. The very people most likely to keep using XP are the very ones least qualified to keep it secure.
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux