our father Debian

Chat about Linux in general

our father Debian

Postby Anditsu on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Greetings Mint Community, in light of my growing frustrations with Ubuntu I've decided to look for a new distro. The battle is between Debian and Mint. A Karate teacher once told me, the further you get from source the weaker the art becomes. Do you think this is the case with Mint? Are there features that make Mint stand out on it's own? I'm really hopeing Mint is more then Ubuntu's pretty sister with the addtion of cinnamon. If that's the case I might as well try to install cinnamon on top of Debian, and install all the other programs I like. I would also like to know why you picked Mint. Thanks in advanced Anditsu!
Anditsu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: our father Debian

Postby Zorba on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 pm

My southern kung fu teacher told me "what matters is that you win the fight", i.e. be pragmatic. Linux Mint did the exact thing and won the fight. it has been ranked number one on Distrowatch since 2011 with a clear margin ahead of Ubuntu. So I recommend Mint because it is very stable, elegant, pragmatic and more. I don't wanna waste time on fixing things all the time and that's why i stick with Mint. Mind you, i'm starting to hate it because it never breaks down :lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes i even cluster it with software to push it to the extremes but this thing never breaks down man. So go for Mint and you'll stop hopping distros :D

Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Lingula on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:21 am

Would be less of a culture shock moving to Mint.
We're obviously biased here. I chose Mint because I needed to build a finicky router firmware that won't build in many distros OOTB. Compared to Ubuntu, Mint also suited my preferences for UI, refining the desktop metaphor, and listening to its users instead of trying to dictate to them. Others may feel differently.
Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Postby passerby on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:48 am

It depends entirely on what you want to do with your PC, and what perks you prefer.
With Mint you'll get more support for PPAs, it comes with newer software (than Stable/Testing) and drivers, has more of the stuff the average user might need OOTB, etc.
Debian (Stable, at least) is less subject to change and is arguably more "pure". Better yet, it's rolling (depending on your setup) so you don't need to reinstall.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Anditsu on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 am

Shortly after posting my quistion I read about LMDE. It looks to be the best of both worlds. I have also enjoyed this fourm so far. I look forward being part of it ,and will share what I know. Wish me luck on the install!

P.S Good point about winning the fight! I Think Mint Just did! fingures crossed I hope this works.
Anditsu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux