Gnome or KDE? and WHY?

Chat about Linux in general

Gnome or KDE? and WHY?

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:02 am

It's really bugging me and I just can't decide wether to stick with gnome or KDE... I'm about to change it on a daily basis... I've been using both for about the same time during this last year that I've started playing with linux.. maybe you guys can help me decide :)

since I don't have authority... clem could you maybe add a poll to this thread? i.e. gnome/KDE
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby faj3r on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:12 am

I use Gnome, because I like it's artwork. I don't know if KDE or GNOME works better. I haven't problems with both.
I simply chose Gnome because it looks better, there is more stuff for it, and I prefer apps which use gtk+

Trust your personal fillings. Any reason can't forced You to use for example KDE if You will simply don't like it.

Choose what You like more.
faj3r
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:05 am

that's why I started this thread... I just can't decide :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:23 am

You can use both.. :)
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:25 am

yes, but not at the same time... hence the big problem :D
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hairy_Palms on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 am

i personally like gnome, i can never make kde look as good as gnome no matter how hard i try, and its menus are sooo cluttered, and i find gnome faster
also all the best apps are GTK meaning they integrate nicely with gnome (the exception being k3b)
but if you like kde then you should use kde :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hippy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:14 am

I had always used Kde in the past and came to gnome through Mint, my feeling is now i love gnome everything seems to me to be that little more streamlined, good on the eye and not as chunky as kde, just my thoughts
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby veloct on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 pm

I've always liked the look of gnome and GTK+. It reminds me of Macs, which i've owned and loved. KDE and QT look more windowish to me. I've used it before and it's great and all but if given a preference I will choose gnome, without hesitation. It's simple and minimalistic but not to a fault.
veloct
Level 2
Level 2

Postby euthypro on Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:38 pm

I prefer KDE only because I like a clean desktop, nothing on it but any apps running and anything attached. (usb stick, CD, etc.) I can't quite get there with Gnome. I seldom use the menus. Everything I use often is on panels with hiding enabled. The problem with Gnome is that the panels don't hide all the way. Something is always peeking out, and then it looks unfinished, somehow. Right now I'm running Bianca on my testing laptop with both desktops, switching sessions. Haven't decided yet.

@veloct: It's funny, because I also love Macs. I'm writing now on a MacBook. But even though KDE starts out looking like Windows, I can get it to look and behave like my Mac much easier than I can with Gnome.
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mintero on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:33 pm

NiksaVel wrote:that's why I started this thread... I just can't decide :D

If you have an old computer (older than 5 years) opt for gnome for sure. It needs less ressources.
The rest is a question of preference. I personnaly like gnome because it is easier to manage.

You can always utilize applications from both desktops, but not all apps of a desktop work perfectly on the other one.
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

surprised by how much i like gnome

Postby jandy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm pretty new, but I tested MEPIS, PCLOS, and others before deciding on Mint. Coming from windows, I thought for sure that I would like KDE-based distros better. When I tried Mint, though, I immediately felt more at home than in KDE. Not sure why--I do like the artwork, and I think that everything feels a little more consistent in gnome.
jandy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kanishka on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:49 pm

I prefer Gnome because it's a lot less cluttered than KDE. I don't like the many panels you have to open when you are searching for an app in the K menu. It's confusing. KDE is also a little heavier than Gnome on the hardware, and it's too much Win-like for my tastes. Also, I hate all the K's spread around :wink:

That said, KDE has many good native apps and, when tweaked, it can be much better.

Anyway there is still the very light XFCE and the beautiful Enlightenment. I admit I have a soft spot for the last one :D
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:00 pm

btw.... what's are the main differences between gnome and xfce...?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kanishka on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:33 pm

NiksaVel wrote:btw.... what's are the main differences between gnome and xfce...?

Uhhh there are many... But the main one is that XFCE is really, really faster than the other ones :D
No bloat, no nonsense, very very responsive.
One weakness: if you want to edit the menu (add/remove launchers), it's not intuitive. Not at all. And I hate that, or I probably be using XFCE all the time :wink:

Suffice to say, you should feel at home coming from either Gnome or KDE.

It's best if you try a live cd. I suggest you Zenwalk or Dreamlinux. Not Xubuntu, I think it doesn't do justice to XFCE strengths.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zonamint on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 am

Maybe this can help you...

KDE: Min RAM 128MB to run, 256MB to work properly...apart from that, its more buggy than GNome but you have more options to optimize desktop...

GNOME: Min RAM 64MB to run, 128MB to work properly its light wight and things are easy...linus torvalds call says gnome is for stupids or something like that :P

XFCE: Min 32MB to run, 64MB to work properly...very light not so customizable and not so user friendly =)

I love Gnome...for me is the best :D, no matter what linus torvalds says about it
zonamint
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sanguinemoon on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:41 am

kanishka wrote:
NiksaVel wrote:btw.... what's are the main differences between gnome and xfce...?

Uhhh there are many... But the main one is that XFCE is really, really faster than the other ones :D
No bloat, no nonsense, very very responsive.
One weakness: if you want to edit the menu (add/remove launchers), it's not intuitive. Not at all. And I hate that, or I probably be using XFCE all the time :wink:

Suffice to say, you should feel at home coming from either Gnome or KDE.

It's best if you try a live cd. I suggest you Zenwalk or Dreamlinux. Not Xubuntu, I think it doesn't do justice to XFCE strengths.

What's wierd about Xubuntu is that it seems to insist on pulling a bunch of Gnome stuff to the point where its not really lighter then Gnome (and is possibly heavier) On other distros and on FreeBSD, XFCE is much lighter and less Gnomish
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby 900i on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:07 am

KDE for Tweakaholics, Gnome for people who want to chillout and don't see a need to CONTROL EVERYTHING, but you can if you want! :lol:
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby scorp123 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:22 am

900i wrote:KDE for Tweakaholics
It's better to have the option to tweak it but not need it than being in need to tweak something but not have the option to do it. :D

KDE rules. :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby 900i on Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:38 am

You have the option in Gnome, if you know where to look, it's just not in the control panel apps where every control freak expects to find them :wink:
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby scorp123 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:10 am

900i wrote:You have the option in Gnome, if you know where to look, it's just not in the control panel apps where every control freak expects to find them :wink:
If I wanted to mess around with a stupid registry of some sort I'd be using Windoze right away :twisted: Thanks but no thanks! :D

KDE rules :twisted:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Chat about Linux