Gnome or KDE? and WHY?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

imo, mono is a really good thing to happen to linux! Not only does it mean that we can write programs that windows users can also use (in some cases), it's also another step in taking high quality programming tools away from the proprietary markets grip!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I guess "Mono will die by proving itself without any use. You see, there's no "mature" mono application and there will never be, they don't have as much programmers as they need to."

All the mono apps got an alternative or a better app out there.

As someone said :D :
"Mono is irrelevant. Mono developers tried for years to do some kind of "revolutionary", full of marketing speech apps but they're just a useless bunch of monkeys. There is no NEED for any mono app"
high quality programming tools
High quality? my god!

Mono (or Gtk#, in the context) is like .NET (C#): something for the GUI, and even so, an architecture I don't like, I don't support and I don't use. And if you want to have lots of .exe and .dll files in your Linux box so you feel "at home" in linux, ok go ahead for Mono! :twisted:

Taken on the web because the guy speaks better than I :lol: :

"Mono is a ripoff of a ripoff of Java. Mono is slower than the HotSpot JVM and will always be because there's many great engineers that work on the JVM. The JVM is made by high caliber engineers, Mono is made mainly by people who really don't have the same kind of experience and competences.
And Java has two of the best Free IDE. Eclipse and Netbeans are years ahead of most of the others free software IDE.

Mono is freaking useless. Java does everything Mono does, but it has more apps, more free libraries, a bigger community, more good IDEs, a better VM, is made by Sun, the same company that brought to us OpenOffice, OpenSolaris and NFS. A company co-founded by one of the guys who worked on the first BSD os, Bill Joy. The same guy that wrote the VI editor.
The heads behind Java includes one of the creators of Scheme, the functional language, Guy Steele. And the guy who wrote the first Unix version of Emacs, James Gosling.
And it has the GCJ native compiler that's getting better months by months.

The guys who work at Sun are much more impressive than the Ximian guys and now, Java is free. What can we ask more ?
Even when Java was proprietary i didn't have much hate for it. It's one of the most open development platform from the proprietary world, and it's not surprising given who's at Sun. Why it's open ? just compare the BREW C++ development platform for mobile phones with Java. It's easy and very "cheap" (free as in beer) to start the development of a J2ME app. It cost you an arm and a leg to start development on BREW.

And even if you can't do everything you want with it, you had the sources of Java. You could compile it on your system, you just couldn't distribute it. Os that were unsupported like FreeBSD just required you to compile the sources.

That's years ahead of the Microsoft world, where everything is so closed."
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I removed almost every mono libraries and references from my system, but some are still needed. I did tis when I saw that TomBoy was using something like 18MB of RAM on my system ! Ok TomBoy looks nice, but I don't use it and if I had to use something like that, I think I would choose something lighter !
Also, the previous mono "bug" was Beagle, I think almost everyone agreed to remove it from Mint, it was such a resource hog...

BTW, I also removed JRE but that's another story. I don't use any java at all so...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

OK good GoustiFruit :lol:

You say about Beagle: "it was such a resource hog"... yes and an evil concept and a poorly-written app.
It's slow and it's full of memory leaks. It's written in a language designed for GUI application, not daemon running in your back. And the project Tracker, written in C, will make it irrelevant. (it already did!)

And the Beagle package includes 15 .exe files and 10 .dll files (see at http://packages.debian.org/etch/beagle/i386/filelist) - again (sorry if I repeat myself) exactly what you needed to feel "at home" in Linux! :twisted:

Java is another story but a better... :D
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

To see another view about Gnome and KDE (the subject of this topic): http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8745257437.html

The article concludes with
What, as desktop Linux users, do you think about this matter? Would you rather have an easy-to-use universal interface, like GNOME, which makes customizing the system harder? Or, the more power-user stylings of KDE?
Go to KDE! KDE power! :lol:
dracorX

Go to KDE

Post by dracorX »

Go to KDE! I second that ... Though I may be biased
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gnome or KDE? and WHY?

Post by belovedmonster »

NiksaVel wrote:It's really bugging me and I just can't decide wether to stick with gnome or KDE...
It will be interesting to see if KDE4 will sway you once its out. I'm really looking forward to it.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

kde4 will most probably convert me. I'm waiting for kde daryana to be released ( i know, i know, we're still in beta) since gnome is annoying me somewhat these days, although i prefer it to kde last time I checked, it's just that KDE lets you do more with your wm a bit more easily. PLus I didn't try emerald with kde last time, which is a huge plus. That and the fact that I love konqueror.
And that KDE4 has desklets as pat of the desktop environment, rather than as seperate apps, leading to a bit of a strain on RAM.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Unfortunately, I am not sure to like the way that takes KDE4. :roll:
Already, in view of the screenshots, I dislike Dolphin. :(

We will see how the final version will be ... :roll:
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

lets be fair though, KDE is one of the most customisable desktops, IMO, so if you dislike dolphin, you could always change it....
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

civint wrote:if you dislike dolphin, you could always change it
Yes of course civint I know that! :lol: even if not sure that this is the only thing... :roll:
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

well, if you don't like the kde philosophy/layout (where it puts config files is a little unintuitive..) then kde4 will probably only really be a major graphical overhaul, with some tweaking to the underneath bits and pieces, and how all the libfiles gel with the rest of the system. Gnome will proably remain a whole lot more stable...
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

civint wrote:kde4 will probably only really be a major graphical overhaul, with some tweaking to the underneath bits and pieces
It is precisely this "major graphical overhaut" and "tweaking" that I am afraid of not liking... :roll:
KDE 3.5.7 is good but KDE4 hmm... :roll: But waiting for the final version to really see and judge ... :wink:
civint wrote:Gnome will proably remain a whole lot more stable
In my PC KDE is very stable, no crashes at all. Absolutely perfect! :lol:
(and KDE is free of Mono. Gnome is polluted by Mono, it is Mono dependant :twisted: [except castrating it somewhat] I don't want Mono :wink: )

But yes KDE4 will probably not be stable and usable enough before 4.1 or 4.2
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

civint wrote:well, if you don't like the kde philosophy/layout (where it puts config files is a little unintuitive..) then kde4 will probably only really be a major graphical overhaul, with some tweaking to the underneath bits and pieces
If nothing else the fact its supposed to run 30% faster than KDE 3.5 means its more just new graphics with a few tweaks!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

its supposed to run 30% faster than KDE 3.5
Yes, 'supposed'... :wink: :lol:
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

well if it does, you can count me in as a convert! even gnome can be a bit sluggish these days (compared to, like fluxbox, lol)
kevmille

Re: Gnome or KDE? and WHY?

Post by kevmille »

Linux Mint made me like Gnome for the very first time.

On my FreeBSD box, I prefer KDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux”