Linux Mint upgrade vs. Ubuntu upgrade

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhenriday

Re: Linux Mint upgrade vs. Ubuntu upgrade

Post by mhenriday »

I intend to upgrade from (64-bit) Mint 16 (Cinnamon desktop) to Mint 17 as soon as the latter is released. When performing upgrades, I generally do a backup of all my personal files - photos and documents - and then re-install all PPAs, programmes, and applications from scratch, which latter takes quite some time. I understand that mintBackup, which I've never used, could help to significantly shorten this process ; could anyone here point to a guide to using this tool so that I can give it a whirl when Mint 17 is released in a few weeks ?...

Thanks in advance ! :D

Henri
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Hi Henri!

Look at that tutorial by Clem: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Backup is in section D.

It's quite old but still very true and accurate ;)
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

killer de bug wrote:Hi Henri!

Backup is in section D.

Thanks for the link, killer de bug ! If Clement's tutorial remains the latest and greatest, it looks like the best I can do is to persist in my rather cumbersome but trustworthy method of backing up documents and photos, doing a fresh install of Mint, and then re-installing my PPAs, programmes, and applications....

I'm really looking forward till Mint 17 !...

Henri
oscarus

Post by oscarus »

mhenriday wrote:
killer de bug wrote:Hi Henri!

Backup is in section D.

Thanks for the link, killer de bug ! If Clement's tutorial remains the latest and greatest, it looks like the best I can do is to persist in my rather cumbersome but trustworthy method of backing up documents and photos, doing a fresh install of Mint, and then re-installing my PPAs, programmes, and applications....

I'm really looking forward till Mint 17 !...

Henri

I hope it's still relevant (as Mint 17 hasn't been released yet), but I just wanted to point out that another thing that makes a clean install upgrade a little bit faster and more bearable is having a separate home partition. That lets you keep all of your files and settings in their own partition while the OS is installed in a different partition.
When you do a clean install, the process will only affect the OS partition and leave the home partition alone (i.e. it will not wipe all your files). You could (and probably should!) do a backup just to be safe, but if everything goes as planned, you skip the step of having to restore all of your files every time you do a clean install. You still have to deal with the PPAs and reinstalling all the applications, but that stuff simpler to deal with.

Return to “Chat about Linux”