java update

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jrtroxell

java update

Post by jrtroxell »

Today Java interrupted a game I was playing telling me I had to update - no choice or options. Their links didn't work. I had to go to the java website. If I hadn't learned dos commands back in the 80s, I never could have made the update. Luckily I remembered you can change directories one step at a time, going forward and running dir to see what you have. The last step worked just as the help screen directed - an ln command. Basically I don't know what I did at the last step. Linus is a trip, for sure.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: java update

Post by mdavies5 »

You haven't mentioned which distro you are using. I have never been interrupted by Java, probably because I develop in Java and always install the latest version. Normally any software should tell you which version of Java is needed. As a developer, if I use a function that was introduced in version 7 and you are using version 6 then the software wouldn't know what to do when it came to execute that function. It is quite good of Java to handle that quite well. I agree that installing Java is not the simplest. It is easiest to search your distro's sources and install that version if possible.
Cheers, Mike

Return to “Chat about Linux”