Excited about Spicebird

Chat about Linux in general

Excited about Spicebird

Postby ronnoc on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:03 pm

I wanted to share with the Mint community a project I am very excited about – Spicebird. Spicebird is a Mozilla based application that is a full–fledged portal for email/ RSS / calendar / tasks / and IM that looks amazingly promising. Best of all, since it is based on Thunderbird, users can take advantage of many of the awesome plug-ins available from the Thunderbird add-ons website. Version .04 is currently a buggy beta, but .07 is due out around the 15th of the month. There will be an auto-update feature to keep Spicebird up to date as Thunderbird and the other open source parts of Spicebird dictate a faster update delivery method.

The calendering functionality looks to be worlds ahead of Lightning. For example, if someone emails you a casual meeting request, the application is smart enough to recognize the text in the email and offer to schedule an appointment automatically! Also drag and drop all over the calendar appears to work well already. Of course, online sync including to Google calendars is there as well.

Many other smart features are there, too. For example, you can directly IM any contact in your address book from the program. An online/offline status light appears on incoming emails as well as the contact's address book card if they are online. Wow.

Now I must say that I am not currently using this application, just keeping an eye on it. The .07 release is nearing and I am very excited about this project. I feel this truly could help propel Linux into the prime-time on the desktop for normal computer users as well as small to medium sized businesses.

The current .04 release is available on getdeb.net if you are brave enough to dive in...
http://www.spicebird.com/ is the project's homepage.

Take a look and let me know out there if anyone is as excited as I am for this project.

Cheers,

ronnoc
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Excited about Spicebird

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:16 am

Ah - I read Spicegirl first :lol:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 am

Have had a package the day it came out.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10369
Have been using 0.7 Pre RC and it's looking better.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby ronnoc on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:07 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:Have had a package the day it came out.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10369
Have been using 0.7 Pre RC and it's looking better.

Thanks! I'm going to install it now. BTW I read the .07 release is due out in earnest around the 15th of October... I am also very interested in the part of the software roadmap that lists 'document management'. A bit vague...but I have some needs for this I'm hoping this feature can assist with. I just wish development for Spicebird was a little faster... :(
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:12 pm

ronnoc wrote:Thanks! I'm going to install it now. BTW I read the .07 release is due out in earnest around the 15th of October... I am also very interested in the part of the software roadmap that lists 'document management'. A bit vague...but I have some needs for this I'm hoping this feature can assist with. I just wish development for Spicebird was a little faster... :(

Where did you get the release info?
I haven't seen it, but will make sure to make a debian package of it.

Yes, it does seem quite slow. :?
They did add Google provider which is nice and some locales.
I like the google applets they added, too.
Only thing not working for me is the IM.
Every time I try to add an account it crashes, might be my profile.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby ronnoc on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:39 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:Where did you get the release info?
I haven't seen it, but will make sure to make a debian package of it.

http://www.spicebird.com/en-US/spicebird/roadmap

Look under the 1.0 release notes. Lot's of cool-looking things there.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5315120

This is the post from the head developer with the release date info. :)
ronnoc
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux