moonOS

Chat about Linux in general

Re: moonOS

Postby bgast1 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:50 am

I just put moonOS on my machine, but it appears that there is something wrong with their forums. I will be changing the theme real quick, if I decide to keep it. I kind of like the enlightenment.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby E17User on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:52 am

I just registered for two reasons.

1)I have not seen anything unusual in the traker. :shock:
2)E17 is very nice. :D

http://www.divshare.com/download/8478443-5fd

+1 Exploder , Thanks for their comments.

Greetings:
Agust
E17User
Level 1
Level 1

Postby waldo on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Trend Micro Internet Security also blocks the MoonOS site as "dangerous". If in fact the people running that site do not wish to have their site blocked by at least two main stream anti-malware programs, then they have to fix the problem immediately. In the mean time, I suppose it is safe to access with Linux, but at this point one can't be sure.

If anyone here has a Windows partition protected with another up to date AV program, it would be interesting to hear your results.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby E17User on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well , WinXP +Nod32 totally updated , MoonOS is Safe.
Downloads MoonOS "Linux Freedom" no problem!.

Anyway,waldo , I think that the problem is Windows :twisted: , or that the web is in Cambodia. :D
It can also be the problem that windows + AV, have envy of E17. :lol: :lol:

Greetings:
Agust
E17User
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lexon on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:51 pm

My stepson tried with his Vista Basic laptop running FF 3.0.12 with No Script, AVG free, 8.5. AVG did not say anything.

lex
Last edited by lexon on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Katzedecimal on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I thoroughly borked my laptop's Mint 7 XFCE installation by trying to install Enlightenment -- Do not do this, apparently they are moving things around on their repos and the dkpg script will get caught in an infinite loop looking for directories that are no longer there :lol:

So since I'd borked it anyways, I installed MoonOS 3 onto the laptop, because I was so enamoured of E17. The art and default set-up ...... It's like Mint's trashy little sister who wears too much make-up :lol: Yeah, I changed it in a hurry :roll: Rearranged the shelves to something I liked better and changed the theme.

Here's MoonOS 3 E17 on my laptop, wearing the "Steampunk" theme. The clock is part of the wallpaper and is animated, keeps time:

"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Postby waldo on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:28 pm

lexon wrote:My stepson tried with his Vista Basic laptop running FF 3.0.12 with No Script, AVG free, 8.5. AVG did not say anything.

lex

I don't think AVG Free checks for web site scripts. That is what they try to sell with the upgrade. Anyway, NoScript should stop it. BTW, your son needs to update to FF 3.0.14. There are a couple of security vulnerabilities that have been fixed.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Old Marcus on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:33 pm

I've noticed a few people at Ubuntu forums reckon that Mint is a ripoff of MoonOS that doesn't credit it, despite the fact that Mint has been going for longer than MoonOS. Just goes to show it's not just Windows idiots use.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:07 am

Old Marcus
What a boring signature you have :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Old Marcus on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I have a very boring signature. Glad you noticed. :)
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Colonel Schell on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Old Marcus wrote:I've noticed a few people at Ubuntu forums reckon that Mint is a ripoff of MoonOS that doesn't credit it, despite the fact that Mint has been going for longer than MoonOS. Just goes to show it's not just Windows idiots use.

They believe in time travel. That explains everything except why we are stuck here now...
Registered Linux User#497028; Registered Linux Machine #408808.
Want to get rid of old hardware? http://computersforcharity.webs.com/ or http://freegeekcolumbus.org/
Colonel Schell
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rippedcb on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:33 am

Trying it right now... must say i'm VERY impressed. Feels like home because its so much like mint in so many ways.. yet still different. I'm loving E17. Think i might have to install it on my spare harddrive and give it some more time..

CB
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
~Alice Roosevelt Longworth ~
rippedcb
Level 3
Level 3

Postby AK Dave on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Why use a spare hard drive or partition for playing with something like Moon? Just throw it into Virtualbox!
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lexon on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm

AK Dave wrote:Why use a spare hard drive or partition for playing with something like Moon? Just throw it into Virtualbox!

I installed moonOS to a spare drive to play with the os, so he is probably like me, I do not go to the church of, "We have never done it that way before". :D :D

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Colonel Schell on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I almost went with openGEU before I finally decided on Linux Mint.

Does anyone here know if their implementation of Enlightenment works? One of the reasons I decided against it was the complaints in the forum about Enlightenment 17 troubles. That, and that their community wasn't as tech savvy as this one.

Otherwise, I liked openGEU's look. But that is not the final measure of a distro.
Registered Linux User#497028; Registered Linux Machine #408808.
Want to get rid of old hardware? http://computersforcharity.webs.com/ or http://freegeekcolumbus.org/
Colonel Schell
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Enlightenment 17 troubles.

E17 used to be unstable but has become much more stable from what I gather
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby AK Dave on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:38 pm

OpenGEU... I remember them.

Yeah, I remember how I used to be registerd on their forums and used to use OpenGEU on dual-boot with Mint. I remember how one of the admins on their forums extracted all of the email addresses of their users, mine included, and farmed that for spam email for his business. Which might have been forgivable if he had the decency to use BCC instead of CC.

Tech savvy, not exactly. I gave up on OpenGEU when it would take 2-3 weeks to get help on their forums.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rippedcb on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 am

From what i've tried of Moon OS.. E 17 is simply beautiful and stable. I've only had a few hrs to play with it and i loved every minute of it. Now only if we could ask Mint team to make a community edition incorporating E17. Lol, i know thats asking a lot of time and major amount of effort..
but its just simply beautiful :)
CB
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
~Alice Roosevelt Longworth ~
rippedcb
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tenfoot on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 am

I've just tried the liveCD of MoonOS. It is beautiful, I agree, but I hate those large icons and can find no way to change them :cry:
tenfoot
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 am

Well we have a history with E17 and I think this will not be high on the agenda - we have main, kde , xfce, fluxbox and hope for a lxde edition - that's a lot
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux