Plymouth Boot Loader

Chat about Linux in general

Plymouth Boot Loader

Postby Old Marcus on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:33 am

Apparently it is going to replace Usplash in Ubuntu 9.10: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NjkzNQ

This is probably a tad stupid, but could someone tell me what it does, and is it an equivalent to GRUB or similar? I looked around, but either I can't find much useful info or I'm lazy. :P
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Plymouth Boot Loader

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:01 pm

It's a replacement for usplash.
The part that is shown when loading the system.
Videos of the Plymouth boot loader:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... outh&num=3
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm

I guess I am just a curios old man that likes to see what is happening behind the splash screen. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:28 am

Fred wrote:I guess I am just a curios old man that likes to see what is happening behind the splash screen. :-)

Fred

Just remove quiet from the boot options and have both. :D
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:33 am

I did. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby shane on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:34 pm

I saw a video of Plymouth a while back (Fedora solar theme) but I didn't look into it much... Today I checked it out a little more... It looks really good. But the process of making themes seems to be a lot harder than Usplash... or different at least.

If we are going to switch to Plymouth for Gloria+1, I think we should add it to the community or testing repos so that the community can cook up some nice themes by the time we're ready to ship.

Also, in all the videos Plymouth transitions to GDM... I wonder how well it will work with other display managers.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby exploder on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Something else to consider is that Plymouth does not work with all graphics cards yet. On my Intel system for example, all I see is three different colored bars moving and it looks like crap.I do not see why anyone would want to use a feature that is not mature yet.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby shane on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:55 am

Well Ubuntu is looking to have it workable by August before they give the final say of whether it will be in Karmic or not. Hopefully that is enough time to get compatibility up to Usplash levels. It does look great and it does offer limitless options for themes. I hope they it makes it to Karmic.
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Postby exploder on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Well Ubuntu is looking to have it workable by August before they give the final say of whether it will be in Karmic or not. Hopefully that is enough time to get compatibility up to Usplash levels

If Ubuntu is working on Plymouth then it certainly will not work right for several releases! More realistically, Ubuntu will wait for someone else to fix it and say that it is an "upstream" issue when it fails to work. Keep in mind that these are the same developer's that included non working versions of Brasero in two releases! How long has it been since we had all of the system sounds working? Ubuntu development has actually worked on their messaging system and some of it works, well sometimes...You know where I am going with this! I do not think that we should follow Ubuntu, we should do things our own way.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux