Plymouth Boot Loader

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Plymouth Boot Loader

Post by Old Marcus »

Apparently it is going to replace Usplash in Ubuntu 9.10: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NjkzNQ

This is probably a tad stupid, but could someone tell me what it does, and is it an equivalent to GRUB or similar? I looked around, but either I can't find much useful info or I'm lazy. :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Plymouth Boot Loader

Post by merlwiz79 »

It's a replacement for usplash.
The part that is shown when loading the system.
Videos of the Plymouth boot loader:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... outh&num=3
Fred

Post by Fred »

I guess I am just a curios old man that likes to see what is happening behind the splash screen. :-)

Fred
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Fred wrote:I guess I am just a curios old man that likes to see what is happening behind the splash screen. :-)

Fred
Just remove quiet from the boot options and have both. :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

I did. :-)

Fred
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I saw a video of Plymouth a while back (Fedora solar theme) but I didn't look into it much... Today I checked it out a little more... It looks really good. But the process of making themes seems to be a lot harder than Usplash... or different at least.

If we are going to switch to Plymouth for Gloria+1, I think we should add it to the community or testing repos so that the community can cook up some nice themes by the time we're ready to ship.

Also, in all the videos Plymouth transitions to GDM... I wonder how well it will work with other display managers.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Something else to consider is that Plymouth does not work with all graphics cards yet. On my Intel system for example, all I see is three different colored bars moving and it looks like crap.I do not see why anyone would want to use a feature that is not mature yet.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Well Ubuntu is looking to have it workable by August before they give the final say of whether it will be in Karmic or not. Hopefully that is enough time to get compatibility up to Usplash levels. It does look great and it does offer limitless options for themes. I hope they it makes it to Karmic.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Well Ubuntu is looking to have it workable by August before they give the final say of whether it will be in Karmic or not. Hopefully that is enough time to get compatibility up to Usplash levels
If Ubuntu is working on Plymouth then it certainly will not work right for several releases! More realistically, Ubuntu will wait for someone else to fix it and say that it is an "upstream" issue when it fails to work. Keep in mind that these are the same developer's that included non working versions of Brasero in two releases! How long has it been since we had all of the system sounds working? Ubuntu development has actually worked on their messaging system and some of it works, well sometimes...You know where I am going with this! I do not think that we should follow Ubuntu, we should do things our own way.

Return to “Chat about Linux”