Linux versus Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paleale

Linux versus Windows

Post by paleale »

Linux versus Windows.

Reasons

1- When you install an operating system like windows do you actually read the terms and conditions that you are asked to accept?
I know I didn't until a little while ago I read an article about lazy vendors putting out software that is supplied as is. These are the same vendors that expect to lighten your pockets to make rich people richer.
With that also comes the fact that they don't have to supply any updates or patches. Microsoft is one of those vendors and the only reason they supply the updates is because of the amount of money they stand to lose from major businesses. That is a scarey thought. With my linux I know that if a bug is found there will be someone tolling away fixing it and putting an update for it asap. Not because they stand to lose the kind of money that microsoft makes but because of their love of Linux. Even the major vendors like Suse and Redhat are busy doing their share of work making linux a pleasant and enjoyable experience. They still make their money.

2- Programs in windows are becoming a sore point for me. Trying to distinguish between good and evil makes it nigh on impossible. I keep getting friends asking me for my choice of programs and I have to tell them I cannot honestly recommend most of them. Possibly 7 from 10 are full of spyware and malware and not forgetting the occasional virus.
Fork out big $$$$$ Dollars to receive buggy software that does not have to be supported, sorry but that is not a good program in my books. With good old linux you only get software. Yes you might get the occassional bug but it wont be long before that gets picked up and sorted out. And what type of software, uhmm now that is an amazing choice, the amount is staggering and finding the better one is usually in the distro of your choice. But then what is stopping you from working on that program and making it better. NOTHING
Windows is all closed source and most programs supplied on the windows platform are the same. Unless you download windows versions of your favourite Linux programs from the open source portal.

3- Costs are usually not an issue to most because they want the newest and the greatest, the same applies to computers and most modern tech gear. When you start adding the costs of the OS and the office software and the photo editing software, the chat software and the skype phone software and everything else that matters, then costs start to become an issue especially when you have a family to feed or a gaming addiction that needs to be played for that matter (WOW needs a time unit that stops you from being online for more than 100 hours a week..... joking ok). Linux doesn't cost me money, the programs don't cost me money, the programmers make these wonderful programs for linux because of their Love for Linux. I can't say enough for these people because they make Linux what it is today. Strong stable secure and fun to use. Isn't that what computing is all about?

4- Can you share your Windows operating system?
Nope, but guess what I can share my linux operating system with anyone that wants it and I will never say no. WIndows is locked in and with a very strict licencing policy. If I made that kind of money I would do the same thing. Because people want to pay those fees, then let them be. I lost my windows installation because of some misuse. A quick reformat fixed most of the problems but I had the pleasure of finding out that my OEM key is no longer valid, basically because the cd got damaged (microsoft tech support asks for your credit card number before what the problem is? doesn't it). Because of this my system became entirely unstable and virus prone. Problem is easily fixed, it's called Linux and yes no licence fee.

5- Open source or closed source?
Which is better? First of if we start to put the positives and negatives as scores i am sure closed source will not rate a mention. Open source is there for everyone to see and for anyone to amend the code to make it better. Yes you can do what you like to that source and yes I have killed a few programs tinkering with them. The license agreement is the most important factor with Linux and that is why Linux will be just that A great operating system with the user in mind.

Closed source, yes some wonderful programs came out in the early days and they still do but the actual programs are sold as is and no tinkering is allowed. The biggest issue I have with this closed source programs is if the software causes your computer to crash and you lose important data. You as a license user cannot sue these people for the damage their buggy software did to you and your computer and all the coffee you used staying up to fix the damage. The license agreement is owner's software company friendly. You the user has one choice that is to accept or return the product back and get a refund, if they agree.
The software from closed source applications doesn't allow the user complete control, you cannot make amends tto the source by law.

All this leads to one thing. I love my Linux and I love the community behind various Linux projects which I can't thank enough for. If linux ever becomes mainstream then good on it, in my books I think we need to pressure the gaming houses to port their games over to Linux Once that problem is rectified then Linux will be the choice of Operating systems.

I still use windows for various programs and whilst windows has the monopoly on OS's the vendors will not jump the bandwagon too easily. I guess getting locked into a contract causes most of these problems. That is why most of these games do not get released on linux. (hey vendors you know who you are port them over, it will be a good income source)

By the way Clem and all the rest of the Linux Mint distro you guys and gals are doing a great job and all the kudos to you lot.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Linux versus Windows

Post by AK Dave »

Its not either-or for me. Its Mint, with Windows in Virtualbox.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

paleale wrote:Linux versus Windows.

Reasons

1- When you install an operating system like windows do you actually read the terms and conditions that you are asked to accept?
I know I didn't until a little while ago I read an article about lazy vendors putting out software that is supplied as is. These are the same vendors that expect to lighten your pockets to make rich people richer.
With that also comes the fact that they don't have to supply any updates or patches. Microsoft is one of those vendors and the only reason they supply the updates is because of the amount of money they stand to lose from major businesses. That is a scarey thought. With my linux I know that if a bug is found there will be someone tolling away fixing it and putting an update for it asap. Not because they stand to lose the kind of money that microsoft makes but because of their love of Linux. Even the major vendors like Suse and Redhat are busy doing their share of work making linux a pleasant and enjoyable experience. They still make their money.
Ahh man...I was expecting a Linux troll! You are pro-Linux, that is not as fun. :roll:

I hate Microsoft as a company and I went Windows free for over three years! Recently college forced me into using Office 2007 and since I could get Vista Ultimate for $17 and Office 2007 (the top version with all the added apps I will never use) for $15 I really cannot complain. Know what? I actually like Vista!

I reckon MS feels more of an obligation to support and patch their product then you let on. In fact, the few experiences I have had with proprietary, supported products argues this point. Most software companies are very cognizant of their reputation.
2- Programs in windows are becoming a sore point for me. Trying to distinguish between good and evil makes it nigh on impossible. I keep getting friends asking me for my choice of programs and I have to tell them I cannot honestly recommend most of them. Possibly 7 from 10 are full of spyware and malware and not forgetting the occasional virus.
Fork out big $$$$$ Dollars to receive buggy software that does not have to be supported, sorry but that is not a good program in my books. With good old linux you only get software. Yes you might get the occassional bug but it wont be long before that gets picked up and sorted out. And what type of software, uhmm now that is an amazing choice, the amount is staggering and finding the better one is usually in the distro of your choice. But then what is stopping you from working on that program and making it better. NOTHING
Windows is all closed source and most programs supplied on the windows platform are the same. Unless you download windows versions of your favourite Linux programs from the open source portal.
Good and evil? Spyware? I really only use freeware with Windows but I have not had any problems with Vista. Granted many of these programs will try to install other crap but you just tell it no. Maybe I just havent seen any bad ones lately? Admittedly I only really use Vista for Office 2007 and Linux for everything else. I have little else installed in Vista and the freeware apps I do use are quality vendors. Fork out $$$? Not on your life!

As far as the fuss everyone seems to make on a program being open source vs. proprietary, I say big deal! I am not a programmer, I couldnt give two flips about being able to see the source code. I would get this quite a bit in Fedora where they make a point of only using open source software. This is great for a distro, but I use the nVidia driver along with all the codecs available. Proprietary programs have advantages over open source programs too. There is a company and money behind the project. Reputations are on the line. There is also a tighter chain of command and much more guided direction. The old adage that you get what you pay for applies here. That said I really only use open source apps and then freeware. Very rarely do I find a need to actually buy software. But try comparing Office 2007 to Sun's OO.o. They simply do not compare, though I am just as happy using OO.o for my personal needs.
3- Costs are usually not an issue to most because they want the newest and the greatest, the same applies to computers and most modern tech gear. When you start adding the costs of the OS and the office software and the photo editing software, the chat software and the skype phone software and everything else that matters, then costs start to become an issue especially when you have a family to feed or a gaming addiction that needs to be played for that matter (WOW needs a time unit that stops you from being online for more than 100 hours a week..... joking ok). Linux doesn't cost me money, the programs don't cost me money, the programmers make these wonderful programs for linux because of their Love for Linux. I can't say enough for these people because they make Linux what it is today. Strong stable secure and fun to use. Isn't that what computing is all about?
Back in 2000-2001 when I used the new XP, before I even knew what Linux or open source were, I had all kinds of powerful programs on my computer. Ironically many were open source, but there were and still are many great, quality freeware programs out there. Again, I only paid for the OS and Office and a handful of games, though I am not much of a gamer. Does Linux win in the price war? Oh yeah baby! But let's not exaggerate the cost of running Windows in the average household.
4- Can you share your Windows operating system?
Nope, but guess what I can share my linux operating system with anyone that wants it and I will never say no. WIndows is locked in and with a very strict licencing policy. If I made that kind of money I would do the same thing. Because people want to pay those fees, then let them be. I lost my windows installation because of some misuse. A quick reformat fixed most of the problems but I had the pleasure of finding out that my OEM key is no longer valid, basically because the cd got damaged (microsoft tech support asks for your credit card number before what the problem is? doesn't it). Because of this my system became entirely unstable and virus prone. Problem is easily fixed, it's called Linux and yes no licence fee.
Point to you, no arguments here! I dont blame a proprietary company for the EULA and for their policies, strict though they may be. They are in business and they see millions of dollars lost every year due to piracy and other unscrupulous behavior on the part of the consumer. This is the main reason I run Linux on 6 out of 7 computers with the sixth being dual booted with Vista (my laptop) and the seventh running Vista only (my wife's laptop).
5- Open source or closed source?
Which is better? First of if we start to put the positives and negatives as scores i am sure closed source will not rate a mention. Open source is there for everyone to see and for anyone to amend the code to make it better. Yes you can do what you like to that source and yes I have killed a few programs tinkering with them. The license agreement is the most important factor with Linux and that is why Linux will be just that A great operating system with the user in mind.

Closed source, yes some wonderful programs came out in the early days and they still do but the actual programs are sold as is and no tinkering is allowed. The biggest issue I have with this closed source programs is if the software causes your computer to crash and you lose important data. You as a license user cannot sue these people for the damage their buggy software did to you and your computer and all the coffee you used staying up to fix the damage. The license agreement is owner's software company friendly. You the user has one choice that is to accept or return the product back and get a refund, if they agree.
The software from closed source applications doesn't allow the user complete control, you cannot make amends tto the source by law.

All this leads to one thing. I love my Linux and I love the community behind various Linux projects which I can't thank enough for. If linux ever becomes mainstream then good on it, in my books I think we need to pressure the gaming houses to port their games over to Linux Once that problem is rectified then Linux will be the choice of Operating systems.
Like the poster after you, I have lost all interest in comparing apples and oranges. Which is better? I have read many posts in this forum that would argue that Windows is still better for most average people. After using Linux for 7 years now I think I tend to agree. As easy as Linux has become, and as idiotproof as Mint is, people still have problems. Now, I will argue for the simplicity of Linux, the fact that someone with zero knowledge will learn Linux much faster than Windows, that Linux is much more intuitive, and that Linux is, without a doubt, the better OS. But it is a Windows world. Everything runs on Windows, the computer came with Windows pre-installed, the computer shop knows how to fix Windows, the Comcast guy never even heard of Linux...You get the point. Most people already know how to use Windows, they are used to that system and cannot be bothered to change. Why should they? Hey, if they are happy in a pile of...You get the point...
I still use windows for various programs and whilst windows has the monopoly on OS's the vendors will not jump the bandwagon too easily. I guess getting locked into a contract causes most of these problems. That is why most of these games do not get released on linux. (hey vendors you know who you are port them over, it will be a good income source)

By the way Clem and all the rest of the Linux Mint distro you guys and gals are doing a great job and all the kudos to you lot.

Thank you
Yep. :)
paleale

Post by paleale »

Thank you for your constructive critisicm. As a Linux mint and windows user i do agree with your thoughts and yes we are stuck in a windows world and the definate newbie will be able to pick up linux much quicker than a windows user. It wont stop the windows user from picking it up, so windows users do not be afraid.
The windows programs that are great software will always be updated and patched for instance photoshop, dreamweaver, reason, and quite a few others. These companies that make the software cannot afford to put out software that is not upto scratch. There will always be too much cash involved to lose. There is some rogue companies that do put out software that shouldn't be out. Some anti - virus companies produce some horrible scanners that can't even keep up with the open source windows alternatives and some freeware like clam, avira and bit defender. That was the major point.
All in all I like your points of view.
Thank you

Return to “Chat about Linux”