Stupidest reasons for not using Linux over Windows

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Stupidest reasons for not using Linux over Windows

Postby 93jam on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:51 pm

I have set up a elderly family members computer and have xp and mint installed, but told them to use mint for everything. They called me and demanded to remove linux next time I was over because they saw on 20/20 or 60 minutes or one of those shows that "There computer will get hacked into by using linux because that is what the goverment uses and they got computers hacked."
93jam
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Yownanymous on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 am

93jam wrote:I have set up a elderly family members computer and have xp and mint installed, but told them to use mint for everything. They called me and demanded to remove linux next time I was over because they saw on 20/20 or 60 minutes or one of those shows that "There computer will get hacked into by using linux because that is what the goverment uses and they got computers hacked."

Ah, so many people are afraid of the unknown... Poor fools.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection, and great dedication
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.
Yownanymous
Level 1
Level 1

Postby graeme on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Not given as a reason for using Windows, but I found this on the website of a company offering paid proxy servers "knowledge base":

I don't use Internet Explorer I prefer Ubuntu, will the proxy service work?

Sorry but we do not have any details for Ubuntu and can only suggest you search online for them to see if their browser is capable of working with proxy servers.

Perhaps it should be called a "lack of knowledge base"
graeme
Level 3
Level 3

Postby syred on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 pm

I'm working for an internet caffe and i meet a lot of people at times talking about OS'es. actually most of them, what they afraid of, or i should say what they think is that, it doesn't support hardware, localization, media support (codecs etc), programs for productivity (video editing/sound etc) and the Console or midnight commander. some of them probably used for a while (5 days lets say) a distro at 199's

Codecs sounds good for some distros, but even windows doesn't include those, (no matter if the users installs later without notice him self) about hardware i think its a 50%/50%, localization, apps and the rest,it is just their imagination... )

The reality: "You have a broadcom wifi card & an nvidia etc etc, did your wife, your dog, and/or your mother allow you to install those proprietary drivers today ?" [Yes] [No] Click! Installed.! Your system needs update, it will become 5% faster. / Package manager: Search / "Prog to hack nasa systems", found: 51 packages, click / installed. for gods shake, somebody have to punch them
Somebody said: i don't like linux, because there isn't any good anti-virus for it. <- and thats TRUE! 1-0!! QQ
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MariaRageBoy on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:31 am

I still need windows for playing games like Counter-Strike Source properly. For some reason its perfect in Windows but in Linux its much more laggy and is unplayable. Its like my ATI HD video card got super dumbed down.

Other than that its ok. Im trying to get used to gimp. Some games are the only things that I need Windows for

"omfzomgz Linux is prone to viruses and crashes because its kernel is more outdated unlike Windows Vista! Everyone use windows vista! latest kernel ever and Vista works for all operating system or OS. Linux doesn't work for any OS operating systems." - Random CS player in Steam chat
Im pretty sure he doesn't even know what a kernel or operating system is. Hes pretty much talking out of his a**
MariaRageBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Becca on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:47 pm

stupidest reason ive ever heard from my cousin
"Girls cant use linux, and you arent smart enough. you have to stick to windows. "
funny :P
x
Becca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kwisher on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:47 pm

I've been trying to get my employer familiar with Open Source Software and how it can benefit him with software costs. I haven't specifically been pushing Linux, just FOSS software. After many weeks of emailing him links to free software solutions that can replace our current proprietary software, I asked him personally what his thoughts were and if he and the other management personnel have investigated or discussed any of my suggestions. This was his exact reply:

"We have discussed this and we see no way that free software can benefit us."
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Yanz on Sun May 03, 2009 6:18 am

"Cause I need windows for iTunes for my iPod"
Er.. There's lots of programs that allow iPod management.. o.O
See through the master
Become the master
Yanz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon May 04, 2009 5:52 am

Becca wrote:stupidest reason ive ever heard from my cousin
"Girls cant use linux, and you arent smart enough. you have to stick to windows. "
funny :P
x

Becca - educate your cousin about woman's rights and tell him that if there is a difference in intelligence probably women are smarter :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby exploder on Mon May 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Becca - educate your cousin about woman's rights and tell him that if there is a difference in intelligence probably women are smarter :)

It is true, my Wife has told me so. :mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby sarahmarienc on Tue May 05, 2009 2:09 am

Things I've heard when I proudly mention I use Linux.

It doesn't have antivirus software. (NO it doesn't but we don't need it!)

It's different. (Well, duh. What do you want Windows under a different name?)

Its free. (Is that supposed to be a bad thing?)

I can't do ..... (Yes you can, you just need to find the FOSS alternative.)

But the one that made me laugh was from my husband:

"It's for geeks." (Apparently he thinks that Linux is some geek-elitist OS... I laughed and smiled all the way to the bedroom. Yep baby, I'm a geek, and you're the man who married the geek.)
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 05, 2009 2:25 am

exploder wrote:It is true, my Wife has told me so. :mrgreen:

Man isn't that the truth! Get that from my wife all the time!
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby syred on Sat May 23, 2009 7:20 am

kwisher wrote:I've been trying to get my employer familiar with Open Source Software and how it can benefit him with software costs. I haven't specifically been pushing Linux, just FOSS software. After many weeks of emailing him links to free software solutions that can replace our current proprietary software, I asked him personally what his thoughts were and if he and the other management personnel have investigated or discussed any of my suggestions. This was his exact reply:

"We have discussed this and we see no way that free software can benefit us."

Corps/Bussiness etc, usually don't need just a software, but they always need to REND a software with at least 5 human beings in the same package. coz they also need to change it with more or less or different features every 2 3 or 6 months depended on the size of the business, i believe its hard for them to get a guarantee that somebody will support them with on-site - services - every time they need, and some programmer will apply any modifications, as well there will be a person who can train the personnel.

Keep in mind that, when a team gets to used to use something its hard for them to change it, most of the people knows only how to do their specific job, and they even afraid to change their keyboard coz they are not sure if the new one will be easy/same as the old.

They don't care about open sure, they care about solutions if you come up with an idea that will cover all the goodies they have now with less cost, they may think about it. thats my opinion. even if we exlude the modifications which will require core programing skills, i don' think they will buy even a proprietary software that is "get it and screw you, post in the forums send an email and somebody will reply to you within the next week"
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby syred on Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 am

Also: People like to pay, sounds silly doesn't it? but they LOVE to pay, when they pay a lot for something when they see a huge price they tend to believe it has quality, not only in programs, in anything, thats why so many use cisco in cases you wouldn't even considering to put a small 5$ hub instead.
syred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LitBolt on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:52 am

"Because I'd rather use a mac..." :roll:

From an ex of mine, heh. (of course, deep in it's heart MacOS is an illegitimate child of Linux :P)
LitBolt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mitsuzero on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Yownanymous wrote:
AK Dave wrote:"Linux? Is that legal?"

Micro$oft (insert picture of Satan here) would like you to think not so...

there are a picture LOOL
Image :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fortunes diaries Pick >>> "You have an ability to sense and know
higher truth."
||| monkey based system |||
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Old Marcus on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:46 am

From an ex of mine, heh. (of course, deep in it's heart MacOS is an illegitimate child of Linux :P)

I see it more as an illegitimate first cousin twice removed of Linux, as it is based on UNIX, and Linux is UNIX-like, so. :P
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Mr. B on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:36 am

From what my old man once said in a discussion with me about Windows and Linux, to his believe: "Linux and all the stories, that it's safer than Windows, are a big fable." "So why use Linux?"

My comment on that was that i use Linux because viruses and other stuff can't harm a Linux OS like they do on Windows, so no antivirus program is needed. You don't have to clean up or/and defrag the harddrive anymore. In most cases you don't need to search for drivers and it works most of the time out of the box, it basicly plug and play. The most important thing for me is that you don't have to throw away your money on programs because it's already there in Linux and the download is just a few clicks away. All for free and they work great.

I can go on but then i'll be writing until the next morning. lol Too bad that is still couldn't convince my dad to switch over to Linux. So i thought let him be and believe whatever he want's.
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DrHu on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I am sure there are all sorts of dumb reasons that are used as to why Linux and not Windows

I am sure there are all sorts of dumb reasons that are used as to why Windows and not Linux

I don't know which is worse; the naive windows user, the naive Linux user

There are so many legitimate reasons why not windows, but saying it is crap is probably not one of them
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby trident on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:42 am

"If it wasn't for Microsoft, we wouldn't have computers as they are today, so we should respect Bill Gates's work by only using Windows"
trident
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux