Feisty vs Bianca

Chat about Linux in general

Feisty vs Bianca

Postby inigmatus on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:17 pm

I am curious to know what people think are the notable differences between Feisty and Bianca besides the fact that one is an adjective and the other is a proper noun.

What are the pros Feisty has over Bianca, and the pros that Bianca has over Feisty?
inigmatus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Feisty vs Bianca

Postby j1111c on Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:00 pm

First of all "BIANCA GNOME" should always be listed this way. Just a lot more respect. For me, thinks just work better.I just tried the new Live cd of Kubuntu, and I find I just do not like KDE. There seems to be a few more thinks that do not work without a little tinkering. I tried the LinuxMint rc2 kde and still prefer the Gnome version. So where is Cassandra,I want her now?
j1111c
j1111c
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sorensei on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:45 am

...Patience is a virtue... and ladies don't like to be rushed when preparing for their "début" in the world. Let Clem some time to make her look great! :D
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MintPad on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:57 am

I tried Feisty before when it was in Beta, and inspected the live CD of a nightly build about a week ago to make sure nothing major had changed before I formed my opinion. Overall, it's a fine distro, but it is very similar to Edgy. The only notable update, beyond those relating to GNOME, the kernel, etc, is the inclusion of an easy codec/driver installer. Mint already has this covered, and surpasses Ubuntu in design, installed software, and (most importantly) speed.

Keep it up Mint! I bet the Ubuntu team would love if you folded up shop, but the truth is that you take what makes Ubuntu great and combine it with what makes an operating system great.
MintPad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby manishk on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Bianca is ready-to-use whereas in Feisty you still need to install a lot of stuff to get the best of it. I mean, I just need one CD (of Mint) to install and then its ready to go!
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby zephyrus54 on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 pm

I've been trying out Feisty for the last day, and while it's an improvement over Edgy I don't feel like it's better than Bianca. Bianca is still a more complete out of the box system with great homegrown apps, and the only thing Feisty has over it is having the latest versions of everything. In my case, these upgrades actually seem a bit less compatible with my system, and my Feisty isn't running as smoothly as my Bianca. My laptop is over 4.5 yrs old, so maybe that's part of the issue. People seem to be raving about Feisty over at the Ubuntu forums, but maybe that's because they've never tried Mint :wink:
zephyrus54
Level 2
Level 2

Postby MintPad on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:34 pm

zephyrus54 wrote:I've been trying out Feisty for the last day, and while it's an improvement over Edgy I don't feel like it's better than Bianca. Bianca is still a more complete out of the box system with great homegrown apps, and the only thing Feisty has over it is having the latest versions of everything. In my case, these upgrades actually seem a bit less compatible with my system, and my Feisty isn't running as smoothly as my Bianca. My laptop is over 4.5 yrs old, so maybe that's part of the issue. People seem to be raving about Feisty over at the Ubuntu forums, but maybe that's because they've never tried Mint :wink:

People come from Windows and discover Ubuntu first and think "Exotic. Rebellious. Non-Windows!" before they learn that there are other very viable distros out there, a few of which are better. I did the same thing with my MacBook, but then bought a ThinkPad and installed Zenwalk on it. I distro-hopped for a while, finally landing at Mint which, as long as it remains healthy and current, will be stuck on my laptop. I reinstalled OSX on the other one...but enough with my tangent.

I was relatively unwowed by Ubuntu coming from the Mac world. I imagine that it would seem that amazing coming from Windows though...I had been using Edgy, and was so unimpressed by the Beta of Feisty that I decided I wouldn't wait for the release (I tried MEPIS and Etch instead) and finally took the bait and went for Mint. Mint matches Zenwalk's speed, Sabayon's looks, and Ubuntu's expandability, which is the only part that's at all "borrowed." It has the best theme I've seen for GNOME, and overall blows away other distros I've tried.

As a Mac user, Windows users always looked like sheep to me (comparing pay-for software). Now, as a Mint user, the same goes for Ubuntu users, whose choice I think is controlled by an ignorance about distributions. But if they're at all curious, they'll discover what's out there soon enough. The tough thing for Mint is its reputation as a "modified Ubuntu." As I tried the various distributions, I avoided Mint and MEPIS because of this reputation, assuming they would be lightly modified, rebranded Ubuntus.
MintPad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby carltonh on Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:40 pm

I've read some people who've upgraded from Edgy to Feisty were impressed that Feisty kept all of their old settings and configurations. Anyone do the internal upgrade from Bianca that the update manager lists? If it keeps all of the Bianca Mint elements, then it might be a great option.

So someone try it and tell us if it leaves Mint elements working.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:38 am

I've read some people who've upgraded from Edgy to Feisty were impressed that Feisty kept all of their old settings and configurations. Anyone do the internal upgrade from Bianca that the update manager lists? If it keeps all of the Bianca Mint elements, then it might be a great option.

So someone try it and tell us if it leaves Mint elements working.

It messes up Bianca more or less... don't do it... you are supposed to dist upgrade to Cassandra, not to Feisty.

I am sure this option in the update was overlooked in Bianca release and will be rectified in Cassandra.
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:09 am

It will be a dual-update because you'll have to upgrade edgy to feisty and bianca to cassandra.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby bernado on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:09 am

Hy

I tried to install Feisty KDE but it doesnst´t work. You see the screen and the progress bar stops at the beginning. Without that screen you see why. After a few seconds you see an error like "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off (initramfs)" . I did a fresh install no upgrade and I was pretty disappointed to receive that message. There are lot´s of workarounds but ........LinuxMint will make it better :wink:

Here a few threads concerning that problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... =initramfs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/106063
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408253

Bernado
bernado
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux