Jaunty feature freeze !!

Chat about Linux in general

Jaunty feature freeze !!

Postby knuckles on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:40 am

Ok the 19.02.02009 was the Feature freeze for Jaunty. What will that say? here the text from the Ubuntu-Wiki
At this point we stop introducing new features, packages, and APIs, and concentrate on fixing bugs in the development release.

Exceptions have to be approved by the release management team. They should be granted if the new package or feature

contributes to high-priority ReleasenameFeatureGoals,
* is a reasonable fix for an important bug,
* other exceptional circumstances, as judged by the release managers.

See FreezeExceptionProcess for details.

Notes about particular aspects of features:

* Upstream microreleases of applications are usually fine after this point if they only fix bugs. This should be verified by reading the detailled upstream changelog and (cursory) reading the diff between the version in the Ubuntu development release and the new upstream version. If in doubt, ask the release team for advice.

ABI/API compatibility is a special case of a feature: If a library breaks backward compatibility (i. e. changes existing API/ABI and introduces a new SONAME), then this always needs approval from the release team, since all reverse dependencies need to be adjusted and rebuilt.

New packages need to be checked by archive administrators before they find their way into the archive. This process can take several days up to a few weeks. For the purpose of the FeatureFreeze, the upload date matters, i. e. all packages which are in the NEW queue by that time will be processed without the need for an exception.

at this point, I'm already happy the test the last daily-live version, and what to say, that will consider Gloria too:
-Jaunty boot very fast
-the installer has become some new options for the partition-choice, more login-option choices and a new Location Menu
-the possiblity to user ext4, what I suggest everyone :)
-a new Volume controle (that is in the version from 20.02.2009 not remooved, so I don't think they will return too the one from intrepid)
-all the packages are up-to-date, so OpenOffice 3.0.1, Gimp 2.6.5..... what is great
-with gnome 2.26 we got not a lot of new's from the point of features that a normal User will see, but with a lot of internal Improvement's, what make it more stable and faster.

What I do not like in the new version, or what is not done what was a wish from me:
a lot of Applications do not fit on a Resolution 1024x600, like the Installer or the resoltion changer... what is not so good I you will use Ubuntu with a Netbook.

After all my little conclusion: whit Jaunty wee become optical not a lot of new Stuff, but with a lot of internal Improvements, that will boost the performance a lot. So a great Version that try to fix the bad critics from Intrepid or Hardy.
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Jaunty feature freeze !!

Postby clem on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm concerned with the installer not fitting 1024x600.. I would even expect it to fit 800x600 including the gnome panel. If Ubuntu doesn't fix that I'll have a look to see if we can tweak the GUI.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Jaunty feature freeze !!

Postby knuckles on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

that would be nice, for the moment it do not fit but every bottom is accessible, so it is possible to install, if we already know what to click :)
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux