I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Chat about Linux in general

I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby psycosmyth on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:54 am

I have been forthright in my quest to educate people about the "other" choice for OS'.
For three years I have felt like an idiot when people look at me like I'm a goof-ball or get
mad when the distro I give them does not meet their expectations.
In the last week or so, this has changed. I have had numerous inquirys reguarding Linux.
Most are new computer users, over 50, and beside themselves with Vista. I spoke with a fellow church member
today while I was adding some mins. to the Verizon phone and He went into this story about bogus anti-virus, hook!!!
He is in his 70's and does not have the patients or money to fool with proprietay crap.
This is just one, so is it our time to shine? Are you ready to teach?
Am I?
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby grimdestripador on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Although you have a good point that Linux Mint now meets peoples expectations.

I do see this as flame-bait.
User avatar
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:26 am

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby Pierre on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:12 am

Mint now awful close to meeting those expectations :D
Image
User avatar
Pierre
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby viking777 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 am

I thought when you reached an event horizon you toppled into a black hole :?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Image
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 5153
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby FedoraRefugee on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 am

viking777 wrote:I thought when you reached an event horizon you toppled into a black hole :?


heh heh, yeah!

Linux has been ready, it is all the state of mind of the user.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby Yownanymous on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm

FedoraRefugee wrote:
viking777 wrote:I thought when you reached an event horizon you toppled into a black hole :?


heh heh, yeah!

Linux has been ready, it is all the state of mind of the user.

And M$ preys on it... Where did that Bill Gates guy go? I found him rather funny.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection, and great dedication
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.
User avatar
Yownanymous
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: The Machine

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby FedoraRefugee on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Yownanymous wrote:And M$ preys on it... Where did that Bill Gates guy go? I found him rather funny.


Say what you will about Gates, I always liked the guy. I think his company slipped out of his control in the 90's and became the beast that it is today, but Gates was always a cool guy with a good heart.

Now Ballmer...He is a piece of work. A piece of something else too... :shock:
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby Decemberdoom on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Whenever a friend ***** over his computer with a virus, I always try to talk them into using Linux, especially if it is someone who doesn't play many games, and is looking for mostly a net-browsing/Movie and Music type computer.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
[url]decemberdoom.wordpress.com[/url] Check out my blog.

You know you want to.
Decemberdoom
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby Fred on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Decemberdoom,

Please be careful with the language you use. We have children in this forum too.

Thanks.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby badmotor on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 am

FedoraRefugee wrote:
Yownanymous wrote:And M$ preys on it... Where did that Bill Gates guy go? I found him rather funny.


Say what you will about Gates, I always liked the guy. I think his company slipped out of his control in the 90's and became the beast that it is today, but Gates was always a cool guy with a good heart.

Now Ballmer...He is a piece of work. A piece of something else too... :shock:


No, I think he is referring to the "Bill Gates" that is a user in this forum. And he was kinda funny ... (this is where he would pipe up and say that he IS the real Bill Gates).
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: New Zealand.

Re: I think we have reached the event horrizon for Linux

Postby FedoraRefugee on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 am

badmotor wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:
Yownanymous wrote:And M$ preys on it... Where did that Bill Gates guy go? I found him rather funny.


Say what you will about Gates, I always liked the guy. I think his company slipped out of his control in the 90's and became the beast that it is today, but Gates was always a cool guy with a good heart.

Now Ballmer...He is a piece of work. A piece of something else too... :shock:


No, I think he is referring to the "Bill Gates" that is a user in this forum. And he was kinda funny ... (this is where he would pipe up and say that he IS the real Bill Gates).


Oh, yeah. I have seen a post or two. We had the real fake steve ballmer join fedora forum. He was a trip until they banned him. :cry:

http://fakesteveballmer.blogspot.com/

Seems like an awful lot of work but this guy is good!
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Chat about Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests