100 GB of unpartitioned space. What distros to try?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piratesmack

100 GB of unpartitioned space. What distros to try?

Post by piratesmack »

Just got rid of Windows 7
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: 100 GB of unpartitioned space. What distros to try?

Post by Fred »

piratesmack,

I would vote for sidux. It is my first or second favorite distro. It would be my personal favorite, I like to play. Mint would be my favorite for just about everybody else.

It is an interesting time for sid. Lots of changes happening. KDE 4.2.1 should be in the repos any day now so would make a nice comparison to the Mint implementation.

I know you are not a beginner coming fresh from Windows, so I don't feel bad recommending it to you. It is not a beginner's distro, especially now.

Fred
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I go along with Fred's recommendation. sidux is challenging and it is interesting in many ways. sidux is my second favourite distro because of it's speed and low resource usage.
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

I have tried a lot of Linux OS, the one's that work out of the box are: Debain,Mandrivia, Fedora, OpenSuse, & Linux Mint. OpenSolaris works good too..
Last edited by MatchStickMen on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

With 100GB of free space you could try one from each branch of the linux tree:
Fedora, OpenSuSE, etc.. And for debian I agree with what others have said here about sidux.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I concur with sidux as a research candidate. It is quite familiar and educational. For a walk on the wild side (for me anyway), I recently experimented with something different - Sabayon4. It was not what I want as my daily driver, but it sure was a change of pace from openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, and Debian. You may also wish to test out one of the BSD flavors. BSD is uncharted territory for me at this point. No matter which way you travel, it is going to be fun.
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

I personally recomend that you try out a bare-bones Linux. For example, Arch, which is command-line only and certainly not aimed for beginners. I find that it's a great way to learn how Linux works, especially with the terminal. Mostly because that's really where the power of Linux is, the command Line.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Thanks everyone.

I already have a Slackware/Gentoo dual-boot and a frugal install of Puppy Linux.
I think I am going to add Sidux and Arch.

But I still have room for more, so keep 'em coming :D
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Zwopper wrote:SliTaz Cooking

I actually tried that one out the other day.
It has a lot of applications for being only 30 MBs
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

For someone that might be just coming from windows,.....I think Linux Mint is great. Also,...PClinuxOS 2009 is now out,...and is considered to be one of the "friendliest" distros for those new to Linux from windows. I've tried the 2007 version,...and it did seem very easy to use. So I guess my vote goes with Mint and PClinuxOS for trying.
My personal favorites are Mint, Mepis, Dreamlinux, and Puppy.

EDIT: OK,..just re-read your post,....and see that you actually are probably NOT a "newbie" to linux. Anyhow,....give Dreamlinux 3.5 a whirl. Debian Lenny based, with all the codecs, and a nice "Mackish" Xfce desktop.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

nitehawk wrote:For someone that might be just coming from windows,.....I think Linux Mint is great. Also,...PClinuxOS 2009 is now out,...and is considered to be one of the "friendliest" distros for those new to Linux from windows. I've tried the 2007 version,...and it did seem very easy to use. So I guess my vote goes with Mint and PClinuxOS for trying.
My personal favorites are Mint, Mepis, Dreamlinux, and Puppy.

EDIT: OK,..just re-read your post,....and see that you actually are probably NOT a "newbie" to linux. Anyhow,....give Dreamlinux 3.5 a whirl. Debian Lenny based, with all the codecs, and a nice "Mackish" Xfce desktop.
Thanks
I didn't know PCLOS 2009 came out
I might check out DreamLinux as well
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Yep, I also recommend DreamLinux 3.5. Been running for about a week now and very impressed.
http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/

Return to “Chat about Linux”