Linux Needs Critics

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Linux Needs Critics

Post by lexon »

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/2009 ... edscritics

You can make your own assumptions.

lexon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Linux Needs Critics

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Darn good article, and I agree.

What sets me off is not the criticism, it is the motivation/viewpoint of the person doing the criticizing. Linux has many problems and could stand improving in many places. There are people who will jump up to defend Linux when faced with this fact. But I think it has become a pavlovian response to constantly dealing with people who do not understand the first thing about Linux unfairly criticizing the OS because it is not what they are used to/expect. They do not get the fact that they will actually have to learn something to use it. 9 times out of 10 their complaints are foolish and could be easily solved if the person was not too stubborn to open a terminal and copy and paste a supplied bash command. Then, without fail, they go off on a tangent and start spewing how Linux is just not ready and will never beat Windows. Then, when the Linux user patiently tries to explain their point of view the critic slaps the 1337 geek label on them and goes off on how Linux needs to become easier for normal people to use.

I do not mind a good critique of Linux, I have tried to put my 2 cent in many times myself. What I look for is that it is coming from someone knowledgeable who understands what FOSS is all about. The author of that article sounds like someone who's view I could respect.
AK Dave

Re: Linux Needs Critics

Post by AK Dave »

Every intelligent undertaking needs some intelligent criticism. Linux may need critics, but it doesn't need the kind of critics that it currently attracts.

Return to “Chat about Linux”