Mint + Wine = ???

Chat about Linux in general

Mint + Wine = ???

Postby whare1 on Tue May 08, 2007 4:01 am

Hi sorry about the cryptic subject here guys.

Right what I would like to no is how well does wine handle Microcraps DirectX as I do enjoy playing sames like "Need for Speed Carbon" etc that needs DX9c just to install now I was looking as using Cedega but I am currently unemployed and carnt afford to pay the subscription

so as my original question how is wine at handling DX9 or is there something else that I should consider using that may serve my needs better?

Thanx
Will
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Tue May 08, 2007 5:12 am

Depends on the application / game you try to run. Some do OK under WINE while others don't work at all and indeed need something like Cedega. It's not possible to give a general comment such as "Yes, DirectX9 apps work under WINE" ... Some do, others don't. General rule of thumb used to be that DirectX apps work better under Cedega, but I am not sure if this is still true or not.

BTW, Cedega isn't that expensive ... And please check your private message that I sent to you. :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby whare1 on Tue May 08, 2007 6:16 am

thanx for the reply scorp I just want to get some of my fav games need for speed, sims 2, sim city 4 etc and just trying to find that right app that will help me do this

BTW check pm ;)
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 pm

havent tried cedega, but I play counter strike source under wine and it works --- okay... with a lot fewer FPS i.e. 1/3 and the graphics are a lot crappier...

One of this days I'm gonna make me a completely stripped down xp installation just for running games... since native is native...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hairy_Palms on Thu May 10, 2007 12:21 pm

checking their appropriate sites, sim city 4 runs under wine ok, need for speed and sims 2 however need cedega.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux