Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaixi

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Post by kaixi »

exploder wrote:
Mint does not have a huge money man, they operate of sponsors and donations, and from what do they use the money well, if you want more then consider donating, every dollar makes a differance.
Mint does put donations to good use. Having a wealthy benefactor however has no influence of any kind where the quality of a distribution is concerned.
Well, having more money means that you can pay more people for working on the project, so I think it does have an indirect influence on the quality.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Well, having more money means that you can pay more people for working on the project, so I think it does have an indirect influence on the quality.
What has Ubuntu's paid Developer's done? Lets see, there is a new message system but it is broken already.... They have changed the shutdown dialog three times now, not exactly revolutionary. They added a tab for Compiz, too bad Compiz needs turned on and off for games, videos, etc. Again nothing to get excited about. Lets not forget Computer Janitor, the app that wants to uninstall the things you add and doesn't clean anything. I am glad our unpaid Developer's do not follow in those footsteps!

I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.
Ubuntu? :)
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

exploder wrote: I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.
Well to be honest, they have gotten Linux to the masses so to speak and have really put Linux in a whole new light. As for revolutionary changes and such, I'd have to agree with you there. They like to be bleeding edge, and frankly, I am not happy with Jaunty at all. The new messaging system is OK, it reminds me of a Mac which really isn't a bad thing, but nothing that I can't live without.

Return to “Chat about Linux”