Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Chat about Linux in general

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 looks nice

Postby supergoo on Sun May 10, 2009 12:42 am

Hi have run ubuntu 9.04 on this MSI Wind Netbook which uses intel chipset with no issues, I of course use Mint6 with no issues. Video Mp4 file runs smooth without any problems. Mint IMHO is very polished and friendly to use, thats why I support and it. Mint does not have a huge money man, they operate of sponsors and donations, and from what do they use the money well, if you want more then consider donating, every dollar makes a differance.

supergoo
Linux Registered User # 522226
supergoo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby exploder on Sun May 10, 2009 1:40 am

Mint does not have a huge money man, they operate of sponsors and donations, and from what do they use the money well, if you want more then consider donating, every dollar makes a differance.

Mint does put donations to good use. Having a wealthy benefactor however has no influence of any kind where the quality of a distribution is concerned.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kaixi on Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 am

exploder wrote:
Mint does not have a huge money man, they operate of sponsors and donations, and from what do they use the money well, if you want more then consider donating, every dollar makes a differance.

Mint does put donations to good use. Having a wealthy benefactor however has no influence of any kind where the quality of a distribution is concerned.

Well, having more money means that you can pay more people for working on the project, so I think it does have an indirect influence on the quality.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header.
kaixi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Mon May 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Well, having more money means that you can pay more people for working on the project, so I think it does have an indirect influence on the quality.

What has Ubuntu's paid Developer's done? Lets see, there is a new message system but it is broken already.... They have changed the shutdown dialog three times now, not exactly revolutionary. They added a tab for Compiz, too bad Compiz needs turned on and off for games, videos, etc. Again nothing to get excited about. Lets not forget Computer Janitor, the app that wants to uninstall the things you add and doesn't clean anything. I am glad our unpaid Developer's do not follow in those footsteps!

I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Husse on Tue May 12, 2009 5:43 am

I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.

Ubuntu? :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby dlkreations on Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

exploder wrote:I honestly can't think of anything Ubuntu has done that is really that noteworthy.

Well to be honest, they have gotten Linux to the masses so to speak and have really put Linux in a whole new light. As for revolutionary changes and such, I'd have to agree with you there. They like to be bleeding edge, and frankly, I am not happy with Jaunty at all. The new messaging system is OK, it reminds me of a Mac which really isn't a bad thing, but nothing that I can't live without.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux