Smartest reasons to keep a Windows partition

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

Smartest reasons to keep a Windows partition

Post by willxtreme »

For Macromedia Flash & Dreamweaver in my case.
Post yours
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Solhatt

Re: Smartest reasons to keep a Windows partition

Post by Solhatt »

Non :)
Got rid of Windows for good about 3 months ago and i don't miss it :D
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Office. There is just no alternative to it. Of course Office can be run in Wine, or Windows can be run virtually, but for me it was easiest to just dual boot. I am glad I did because I have not only come to respect Vista but to actually enjoy using it. That said, it is no Linux and when I am finished with school I will happily go back to being Windows free again.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

MPLAB IDE.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

On this box - none. :D
on the other box - proprietary software. :(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

What is windowze?! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Linux FTW!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
mince'n'tatties

Post by mince'n'tatties »

The only reason I still have for a windblows partition is to play unreal tournament 3....I haven't even played it in months.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

I need to be able to have regular webcam and microphone chats with others, using the MSN protocol. Telling them to change to Skype is a non-starter.

As soon as aMSN gets their audio side going, so that I can talk rather than typing, it's goodbye XP.

Keith
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

willxtreme wrote:For Macromedia Flash & Dreamweaver in my case.
Post yours
Flash 8 and Dreamweaver 8/CS3 work very nice with Wine. I am not really a Flash user, but it runs, although I haven't tested CS3. Dreamweaver CS3 works flawlessly on my laptop via Wine. There are however alternatives for Dreamweaver, such as Bluefish, Screem and Quanta, but most web site "creators" like Dreamweaver because of its WYSIWYG interface. I say just got to hand coding; you have better control over what you actually put on the page.

I honestly have no reason to have Windows on any partition of my laptop. My desktop is another story because both my wife and kids use it and they hate change.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

FedoraRefugee wrote:Office. There is just no alternative to it.
For many people, OpenOffice is MORE than capable as an alternative. There is very little that MS Office can do that OOO cannot, but perhaps the most notable is the lack of support for advanced VBA macroing in OOO. Excel spreadsheets that rely on extensive embedded VBA macroing simply don't work right, at best, and at worst are totally useless.

Sometimes Ubuntu's rollout of OOO will introduce "quirks".

If you absolutely positively cannot survive without MS Office, some versions run well with Wine and XP itself runs very well with virtualization.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

dlkreations wrote: Flash 8 and Dreamweaver 8/CS3 work very nice with Wine. I am not really a Flash user, but it runs, although I haven't tested CS3. Dreamweaver CS3 works flawlessly on my laptop via Wine. There are however alternatives for Dreamweaver, such as Bluefish, Screem and Quanta, but most web site "creators" like Dreamweaver because of its WYSIWYG interface. I say just got to hand coding; you have better control over what you actually put on the page.

I honestly have no reason to have Windows on any partition of my laptop. My desktop is another story because both my wife and kids use it and they hate change.
Thanks for the info. I didn't bother trying it with Wine since last time I used Wine, it couldn't run a simple application like "Networkactiv piafctm 2.2"
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

AK Dave wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:Office. There is just no alternative to it.
For many people, OpenOffice is MORE than capable as an alternative. There is very little that MS Office can do that OOO cannot, but perhaps the most notable is the lack of support for advanced VBA macroing in OOO. Excel spreadsheets that rely on extensive embedded VBA macroing simply don't work right, at best, and at worst are totally useless.

Sometimes Ubuntu's rollout of OOO will introduce "quirks".

If you absolutely positively cannot survive without MS Office, some versions run well with Wine and XP itself runs very well with virtualization.
Office. There is just no alternative to it. Of course Office can be run in Wine, or Windows can be run virtually, but for me it was easiest to just dual boot...
:roll:

The problem is not what OO.o cannot do, although there really is no comparison between the two. But I agree that most folks can get along just fine with OO;o, I have ran my business off of it for almost ten years now. The problem is formatting NEVER carries over from OO.o to Office correctly. When you are a student who is required to turn in your work in at least .doc of not .docx you really have no choice. The same goes for the professional world. You can blame MS for this, in fact I do. But it is what it is and my professor or someone elses boss doesnt give a flip, they just expect to open professional documents in Office.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

FedoraRefugee wrote:The problem is formatting NEVER carries over from OO.o to Office correctly.
I think that "NEVER" is hyperbole.

In my experience, formatting USUALLY carries over properly. If the file is saved in OO.o as ".doc" as an MS Office format file (Word, Excel, etc) then the formatting is good (for me). The reverse is not always true, opening a file created in Word and expecting it to be perfect in OO.o, but USUALLY a file created in OO.o and saved directly to an MS Office format keeps its formatting just fine (my experience).

If you absolutely positively need to have your formatting be unaltered from one computer to the next, save as a PDF.

When I was last a student, I was never asked to turn in any work in .doc format. I was asked to submit printed work with specific formatting requirements (font, size, spacing, borders, etc) but never told to submit a .doc file. Real paper, the old fashioned way. Saves the prof the trouble of trying to print it out him/herself and maybe messing up the formatting.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Windows? Do people still use that? :mrgreen:
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

AK Dave wrote:I think that "NEVER" is hyperbole.

In my experience, formatting USUALLY carries over properly. If the file is saved in OO.o as ".doc" as an MS Office format file (Word, Excel, etc) then the formatting is good (for me).
This is the problem. When I do my work on OO.o writer, saving as .doc, and then when you open that file in Office Word the formatting is always messed up. This would include tabbing, footnotes, and hanging paragraphs for bibliographies. Spacing has also been known to get borked.
The reverse is not always true, opening a file created in Word and expecting it to be perfect in OO.o,
I wouldnt know, why would I create a file in Word if I can use Writer?
but USUALLY a file created in OO.o and saved directly to an MS Office format keeps its formatting just fine (my experience).
This has not been my experience and I can send you four or five term papers which were created in OO.o and saved as .doc that you can open in Office to see where the formatting went wrong. I have not bothered to "fix" these yet, they are saved like I turned them in. Each time I had to submit an email to my professor reminding them that Liberty University policy accepted papers written in OO.o and that was all I had and I offered to resubmit the paper in .odt. In each case they overlooked the formatting, probably because they couldnt be bothered to install OO.o. This policy was changed midway through my junior year and they now accept only .doc and .docx and I was forced to use Office Word to make sure the formatting carried through properly.
If you absolutely positively need to have your formatting be unaltered from one computer to the next, save as a PDF.
Tell them, not me! :D
When I was last a student, I was never asked to turn in any work in .doc format. I was asked to submit printed work with specific formatting requirements (font, size, spacing, borders, etc) but never told to submit a .doc file. Real paper, the old fashioned way. Saves the prof the trouble of trying to print it out him/herself and maybe messing up the formatting.
You were never in a distance learning program taking classes over the internet. Everything is submitted electronically, even utilizing youtube for presentations! Times change.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

FedoraRefugee wrote:even utilizing youtube for presentations! Times change.
LMAO :lol:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

willxtreme wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:even utilizing youtube for presentations! Times change.
LMAO :lol:
:mrgreen:

Yeah, I thought the same when I encountered this in a class. But it really is very smart. If you need to turn in a video of something, in my case three arguments filmed in front of an audience of five, it is a fast, free way to do it. Much better than mailing the tape to them. I imagine in time they will really get it together and just allow you to upload it direct to them, but with multiple codecs and professors who are not computer geniuses this way is very efficient.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I got rid of W98SE about five years ago or so. I just bought a Acer 5515 wireless laptop for $325.00 that has Vista basic. My stepson has one and loves it. I ran Mint 6 Live CD on it.
It is getting Mint 6. Maybe Mint 7 when the final release is ready. I am not a Windows hater. I just see no good reason for having Wndows anymore.

lexon
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I use Windows for testing mint4win :lol:
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

shane wrote:I use Windows for testing mint4win :lol:
The only viable reason I've read so far.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Chat about Linux”