Linux Upgrade Question

Chat about Linux in general

Linux Upgrade Question

Postby amenditman on Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 pm

I've been using Linux for over a year now and I use Mint on whatever old free laptop I have at the time.
I generally use the laptop to do research of weird Windows problems at my customers' computers. Not only are they impressed with the fact that I can get usefulness from Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 laptops, but that it is beautiful and fast too. My first step in a Linux conversion. Mint is great on old laptops.

My burning question is this, why is it that Debian has a smooth upgrade path without ever needing to re-install and all the Ubuntu family, based on Debian, recommend re-install. Recommend on pain of breaking the system, which I did every time I tried to upgrade Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu before I knew better. Debian, on the other hand, never breaks when upgrading, as long as you are using stable.

This has always bothered me. What is it about the buntu's and distros based on them that causes this to be necessary?

Is this on purpose? Is it a result of the configurations necessary to get the results we all like?
Is it a repository issue?

And, can it be fixed?

Thanks
Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it. L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)
amenditman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Upgrade Question

Postby emorrp1 on Thu May 21, 2009 2:29 am

No, it can't really be fixed. Debian uses a rolling release, *buntu uses a 6 months release cycle. The upgrades in debian are small enough that it's feasible for it to include translation tools to move from one version of the software to the next. In *buntu, the version upgrades are large, so translation tools are not feasible. A large reason for this is discrepency in config files, which is the largest cause of problems for improperly shared /home directories. For instance if you try using a firefox 3 profile in firefox 2, or vice versa, you'll run across problems (though this is a bit of a dated example)
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Upgrade Question

Postby amenditman on Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Your answer is clear, concise, and makes sense even to a non-power user.

Blessings,
amenditman
Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it. L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)
amenditman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux