Google Chrome OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Google Chrome OS

Post by waldo »

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... d2k.YdQZ.Y

According to reports, they will use the Linux kernel, but develop their own UI. This will give Linux a huge boost. It is making headline news because of the impact on the future of Microsoft. They now have real competition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Google Chrome OS

Post by waldo »

The Chrome Browser apparently was just the forerunner to this project. Many pundits correctly predicted that Chrome Browser was just a test. The type of add-on development that has helped Firefox will most likely get ported to Chrome OS. I think that this announcement from Google will spur a lot of development, particularly for sophisticated cloud apps. Yesterday Google announced that Google Apps and Gmail were no longer considered "beta".
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... d2k.YdQZ.Y
The plan escalates Google’s rivalry with Microsoft, which extends to Web search, browsers and business applications such as word processing and spreadsheets. Windows, Microsoft’s flagship product, runs about 90 percent of the world’s personal computers. Google is also trying to spur Web-ad sales after reporting its first sequential revenue drop as a public company.
I don't know that it will do anything for Linux, people wont even understand/care or know that Linux is the underlying OS they would be using, just that it is Google OS on their netbook
--I don't really see the netbook trend continuing much longer, as people get somewhat tired of its limitations, and as lighter weight normally sourced notebooks (laptops..) come on offer..

...such as word processing and spreadsheets. Windows, Microsoft's flagship product, ...
That's it, that's the target, Windows office suite; which some would consider the more important revenue stream for Microsoft, and unfortunately embedded into corporations..
--OpenOffice tried with ODF (Open Document Format), but Microsoft managed to get docxml accepted or pending acceptance as a document standard; instead of subscribing to an open document format, that would allow free interchange between different word processors or office systems..
http://xml.openoffice.org/
The OpenOffice.org application uses the OpenDocument file format (also known as ODF) as native file format. This means, OpenOffice.org stores all documents in OpenDocument file format unless the user requests to store them in a different file format.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML
However, due to the changes introduced in a later version, Office 2007 is not entirely in compliance with ISO/IEC 29500:2008.[16][17][18][19] Microsoft has stated that the planned Microsoft Office 2010 will be the first version to implement the ISO/IEC 29500:2008 compliant version of Office Open XML.[17][18][19]
http://docx-converter.com/
In Office 2007 Microsoft introduced a new file format called the Microsoft Open Office XML Format (.docx). This format is not compatible with older versions of Microsoft Word or with alternative operating systems like Linux or Mac OS X. Nor is it compatible with other word processing applications like OpenOffice, Lotus 123, or NeoOffice.
And whether an on-line office or windows OS substitute will succeed is still up for debate, as there have been plenty of small competitors trying to find a niche or unseat Microsoft in the OS or applications wars..
--none has so far been wildly successful
from Beos 1999 BEIA to cloud computing today
http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/03/03 ... _internet/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
Last edited by DrHu on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

as there have been plenty of small competitors trying to find a niche or unseat Microsoft in the OS or applications wars..
There is the issue. A large company with the deep pockets is needed to offer corporations the promise of support that is needed to penetrate that market.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Time will tell if Google can make a dent in the market. Microsoft has been forced by it's competitors to build a better product and to release it sooner. No matter how you look at it, in the end things are getting better for the end user!
atonz

Post by atonz »

I was dumbfounded when I heard the word linux on a Canadian News channel. Until about a year ago I had no idea what Linux was. I'm not so sure about Google's OS and how it will impact Microsoft but I believe it is a benefit to Linux supporters to have a large and widely known company behind a linux distro. Maybe this will take some of the hype from Apple and its Macs, something I think is cool but overrated and overpriced. Still <3 iPods and looking forward to Google's attempt to compete with them (gPod :P)
Penguinclaw

Post by Penguinclaw »

Surely with Google's name supporting the Linux Kernel this has to be good news for every Linux user as more hardware venders are likely to bring support to Linux? The Kernel at the moment is ammazing in what it supports "out of the box" (far more than Windows) but I personally look (hopefully) to even greater compatibility. It may even persuade (if desktops do get targeted by chrome OS) more software vendors to support Linux.

Here's wishing!!!!!!
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Mmmm....personally I am not very sure wanting something like a Chrome OS on my computer. Google is a well known company for messing around with private data in a clever way for marketing goals. That would be a perfect opportunity to track every movement from Chrome OS users and trying to make money out of that. Linux and FOSS would completely being misused if that would happen. Not to say misusing the private data of probably millions of users. In that way Google is not better than MS...probably worser.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

are there any screen shots available / leaked screen shots of this OS? or the nearest google os?
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
lexon

Post by lexon »

Just some more talk. Keeps writers busy.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... unity.html

lexon
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I'd probably dual-boot it.

Fast-on to a Chrome browser, all the great hardware support of linux, and a streamlined OS interface? Yeah, thats attractive. Plus, being linux, I'm sure we can bolt-on our own preferred packages to add features not provided by the base install.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I'll definitely try it out. I loved the Chrome browser (too bad they haven't ported it to Linux natively yet) :roll:
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Copa360 wrote:
Kaye wrote:I'll definitely try it out. I loved the Chrome browser (too bad they haven't ported it to Linux natively yet) :roll:
They have. It's still in development, but it's coming along nicely. I have it installed and play with it from time to time. Go here:

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Then scroll down the page until you see the Linux section. It's only available in .deb packages right now, which means only us Debian-types can try it so far.
Ah, I guess I should've been more specific. I've played with Chromium, but I miss the ability to really use Chrome as my full time browser. I don't think it's worth sacrificing stability to use Chromium at this point. Once its a full port I'll be all over it :)
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

I think Google Chrome OS has two possibilities.

One is that it will do great things for Linux, if indirectly. This is if they write plenty of GPL2 drivers and make loads of open-source apps for it that we can incorporate ideas from.

The other is that it will **** all. This happens if they release everything under proprietary licenses.

This is a true test of Google's "Don't be evil" motto.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
Asheguy79

Post by Asheguy79 »

I might be a little late to this dance but has anyone stopped to think about Google having access to your files, pics, and so forth might not be such a good idea. They are widely know, at least in the US anyway, for selling your search history to the highest bidder, other governments (China), and the US government. I think it is with great caution that Linux should embrace Google and now more than ever with the threat of net neutrality back on the table, remember the owners of Google gave a lot of money to President Obama's campaign and have a very powerful lobby in Washington D.C., just a thought.

Return to “Chat about Linux”