Good read for new users.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Good read for new users.

Post by Fred »

I couldn't have said it any better. :-)

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/jus ... sier-33236

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Good read for new users.

Post by altair4 »

Just based on my personal experiences there's another reason for using the command line that was not mentioned in that excellent article. I got to be very proficient ( in my opinion :wink: ) at using the desktop and all it's GUI goodies on another distro. Then the desktop changed. I had relied on the desktop so much that I had to relearn a lot of the commands all over again.

Now if I could only learn grub .............
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu

Re: Good read for new users.

Post by DrHu »

Absolutely agree with the bloggers (Locutus) observations
"Just because it's pretty, doesn't mean it's easier."
  • Secondly, it is my personal opinion that, most times doing simple stuff is a lot easier and faster through the console, than it is via a point and clicky, search and fumble method
This is why anyone in tech support needs to keep a menu chart to work around users who either don't know what they are looking at, ignore various parts of the screen or can't follow a direction

And it takes probably about 4 to 5 times longer to get through the procedure, than if they were prepared to go into a console and just follow some typed directions. Although even then, when they say it didn't work, you still have to go over the line letter by letter, space by space to make sure the syntax is 100% accurate..

Not that tech support is 100% accurate either, they also have the fumbles, but usually it happens more often with a graphic selection, since it is so easy to miss a mouse click or otherwise misdirect a user (that you want to be like a 100% accurate robot) in order to be sure your commands are executed as said/written..
--and that's ignoring the computer terminology-English translations that are sometimes necessary, like where is the any key (old joke)..

One of the secretes of tech support is you can look as if you know what you are doing, if you can clickity-click through various screens until you accidentally or otherwise locate that which you seek.

Return to “Chat about Linux”