Font Manager - Need Testers

Chat about Linux in general

Font Manager - Need Testers

Postby Dies on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

If you're interested in helping test this app, please get the package from the downloads section at:

http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/

Testing:

* Install deb, make sure it installs without issue
* Make sure app appears in menus and runs when selected

Once familiar with the app, please start it from a terminal with

font-manager

and use it while paying attention that no warnings or errors appear in the terminal.

If you encounter any problems, file an issue and include the terminal output if possible along with steps to reproduce.
If the issue involves a particular font please try to include the font or a link to it.

At this point only file issues regarding bugs. Please do not file any feature requests or issues regarding enhancements.

For anyone interested in contributing:

I am not an experienced programmer, so at this point I'm sure the code is pretty rough, any patches which cleanup, simplify or improve are more than welcome as long as they are well documented.
Dies
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Font Manager - Need Testers

Postby DrHu on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:47 am

There are a few font manager/editor programs already available
--check them as well..
http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2007/06/find-fo ... e-specimen
http://fontmanager.blogspot.com/

And of course the appearance>Fonts TAB, which will show the installed fonts in the system
--as well as the Debian font utilities..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Dies on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:26 am

DrHu wrote:There are a few font manager/editor programs already available
--check them as well..
http://uwstopia.nl/blog/2007/06/find-fo ... e-specimen
http://fontmanager.blogspot.com/

And of course the appearance>Fonts TAB, which will show the installed fonts in the system
--as well as the Debian font utilities..

gnome-specimen is NOT a font manager, it allows users to preview and compare fonts, but that's it.

The second link provided points to the basis for the app I posted, except that the interface has been completely re-worked and new options added, a couple of bugs fixed, etc. Credit to Karl Pickett for the original script is given throughout.

The only actual font managers that I've seen for Linux are FontMatrix which is a Qt application that strives to be a professional-grade font management solution, and FontyPython which is a PyGTK app and a little funky.

In any case, really just looking for feedback on the interface and any bugs encountered, feedback good or bad will be much appreciated.

So if you need to group fonts and activate/de-activate them, please check it out.

Or even if don't and maybe you just have some time on your hands, check it out.
Dies
Level 1
Level 1

Postby beauvin on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:21 am

Very usefull application, i've been looking for something like this for some time now. Thank you !

Umm appears i got some errors in the terminal, i do not know it they are related to your app but rather to my gtk installed themes, this happens after i press the "Set Font Preferences" button...appart from this though your app is quite stable ( and ready to be introduced in the mint repository i might add ;) )

Here is the terminal output

EDIT: Nevermind the same thing shows when i start "gnome-appearance-properties" in the terminal

Code: Select all
 $ font-manager
INFO    :  Font Manager is now starting
INFO    :  Validating /home/adrian/.fonts.conf
INFO    :  Successfully parsed /home/adrian/.fonts.conf
INFO    :  Disabling blacklist temporarily...
INFO    :  Found a total of 79 fonts
INFO    :  Re-enabling blacklist
INFO    :  Launching font preferences dialog

(gnome-appearance-properties:3825): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Linia 68 caracterul 64: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.84” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

(gnome-appearance-properties:3825): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Linia 69 caracterul 66: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.80” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 70 caracterul 67: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.78” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 71 caracterul 60: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.88” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 72 caracterul 63: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/1.12” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 73 caracterul 60: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.56” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 75 caracterul 66: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.76” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

The overwriting error message was: Linia 76 caracterul 64: „shade/gtk:bg[NORMAL]/0.81” nu s-a putut prelucra ca un întreg

Oh and one more thing what is this "Disabling blacklist temporarily...", what blacklist is it disabling??
Here's a suggestion when i select a font for example "Arial" and click the "Detail Font information" my screen is filled with 7 windows for each style the font has, this is really annoying, maybe you can make only one window popup with 7 tabs for each style
beauvin
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dies on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:08 am

beauvin wrote:Oh and one more thing what is this "Disabling blacklist temporarily...", what blacklist is it disabling??
Here's a suggestion when i select a font for example "Arial" and click the "Detail Font information" my screen is filled with 7 windows for each style the font has, this is really annoying, maybe you can make only one window popup with 7 tabs for each style

Well, normally you wouldn't see any of those messages since the app is run from the menu. :wink:
But that "blacklist" thing is just the internal list that the app uses to determine which fonts are disabled.

I agree about the multiple windows popping up, depending on your desktop settings they can pop up all over the place.
On my desktop it's not bad because they all pop up in the same place just a few pixels apart.

But I'll have to figure something out, like maybe only showing the first style.

Thanks and if you notice anything else, let me know.
Dies
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dies on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:56 pm

For anyone who installed this, thanks for checking it out. And if you're using it, please make sure to update to the latest version, as it fixes a couple of issues and adds some new features.

http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/downloads/list
Dies
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dequire on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:13 am

This app is excellent! I would seriously recommend that this would be a standard program in any Mint install. I'm surprised this has not received more traction considering the amount of princess that takes place (not entirely unwarranted) regarding stock fonts in Linux.

Clem and the rest of the Mint team: This would go a long way in adding That little bit of polish that helps make all the difference that we always are talking about.

Again, great work, and congrats for making such a useful tool - especially since you indicated that you are relatively new at coding. If I find any bugs (haven't yet) I'll let you know.

Here it is in a lighter theme (source is the project homepage)
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Dies on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 pm

dequire wrote:This app is excellent! I would seriously recommend that this would be a standard program in any Mint install. I'm surprised this has not received more traction considering the amount of princess that takes place (not entirely unwarranted) regarding stock fonts in Linux.

Clem and the rest of the Mint team: This would go a long way in adding That little bit of polish that helps make all the difference that we always are talking about.

Again, great work, and congrats for making such a useful tool - especially since you indicated that you are relatively new at coding. If I find any bugs (haven't yet) I'll let you know.

Thanks. I'm glad you find it useful. :)

Yeah my hope is that it starts getting included in standard repos so users can install easily and not worry about updates or unsigned packages, but since I'm not ready to jump through any hoops to get it done I guess it's just a matter of time and user requests. On the upside though, both the RPM and DEB build in mock and pbuilder, respectively.

I can't imagine it would take much cleanup to get them approved upstream. Matter of fact I build releases in a clean VM by fetching a simple script from SVN and running it, hasn't failed yet.

Oh yeah for anyone who's using it, please update to the latest (0.4.2), as it hopefully fixes more bugs than it introduces. :mrgreen:

It's mostly a bug fix release, though there is a new option to include a "sample sheet" when a collection is exported, for now the output is pretty basic and fixed, but as I get more familiar with ReportLab, and Python in general, more options and templates should make their way in.

If you want to try it out make sure you do

sudo apt-get install python-reportlab

the .deb suggests it but I didn't want to add a requirement for something that's just an optional feature.
Dies
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux