Any game coders in the house?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OrbitaL-S2D
Level 1
Level 1

Any game coders in the house?

Post by OrbitaL-S2D »

First off I wanna start by saying that I love Linux Mint. I have been using it on my laptop since 'Bea' but sadly MS still has the heart of my big tower for gaming.

Also I would like to add that im not too sure if this is the right forum for this post but it did say "Linux/Free software" ;)

Well with the release of the Quake 3 source code there have been a few games and modifications of the eingine on the rise. Such as ioQauke 3, Alien Arena, Open Arena, with the latter being new games with a different base.

Well I have an idea for a game that I think would be ground breaking for online FPS play. There is alot of info that I could post here but I want to see if this has anyones interest.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint OrbitaL-S2D
My stepson has been trying to build a windows game for a long time now, but things as studies have gotten in the way.
But he is a "windows junkie" :) but I might convert him :)
At least give us a general outline (you could pm me if you don't want to make it public)
OrbitaL-S2D
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrbitaL-S2D »

Husse wrote:Welcome to Mint OrbitaL-S2D
Thankyou for the welcome. I wouldnt say that im a windows junky... Im a Windows needer.

I just havent found the will to switch from windows to linux due to fact that some of the games that i enjoy wont work with out playing for it... I allready paid once im not gonna pay to make it work nor am i the type to pay to play the game... Whats with those eve WoW etc guys anyway :P

Ah an outline you say? Well this is a clip from my design goal that i have typed up in notepad just to have as a to-do list to... Some stuff maybe possible and some stuff maynot be any who here it is...
=RnR= Outline wrote: Rockets and Relaxation

12:38 PM 6/7/2007

Design Goal

A combination of diferent aspects of gameplay from serval different modifications for id Softwares Quake 3 Arena/Team Arena, A GNU game Warsow, and id Software's Quake 4.

Rockets and Relaxations Goal is to make a more complete online gaming experience for the online gamer.

For the most part gameplay with still be the same as Base Quake 3. Enhancements like CPM Physics are to be included along with some more gametypes/styles and a different server setup.

The game server is to be based on a multi arena environment similar to Rocket Arena 3. There will be several portal/start maps. Each portal map will have a portal for each of the base gametypes. Gametypes will be as follows:
Team Death Match
Capture The Flag
Free For All
Tournament (1v1)
Freeze
Trix (similar to Defrag)

There will be physics enhancements such as CPM and WSW.

For each gametype there will be gameplay enhancements as i call them such as:
For CTF: 1FCTF, Capture Strike, etc
For FFA: Last Man Standing, Hide n Seek, etc
For TDM: Clan Arena (Blood~wave Arena), Red Rover, practice, etc
For 1v1: (notting yet)
For Frztg: Team Freeze, Last Man Standing (freeze for all mode), Red Rover
For TRX: FreeStyle, Fast Caps, Race,

Weapon styles: Excessive, Insta, Rox Only, etc etc.

Proximity mines/Chain Gun found in Team Arena.

A Simple but Effective in-game admin GUI to control the server while he/she is connected. This will allow for point and click controlling of maps listed by there name with a small pic and controlling of players ie. Moving players from teams and removing players from the server with kick or timed/perma ban.

Anti cheat/hack Similar to Noghost for quake 3 1.16n.

Netcode based on unlagged with other netcode tweaks similar to CPMA ie. "cg_optimiseBW <1/0>. Setting it to 1 would significantly reduce the amount of non-critical data sent to you. Regrettably, this would also make you unable to see players through portals."
Removing the /snaps cvar from client use.
Snaps would NOT be set in the config. =RnR= would adjust snaps value according to the server's sv_fps value. If you join a sv_fps 20 server your snaps get set to 20, if you join a sv_fps 30 server your snaps get set to 30 etc...

Dropping of backpacks full of ammo instead of a weapon. Similar to q1 qworld cpma.

Collecting ammo is stored in team games so when you get the weapon you get the full ammo of the weapon plus what you collected. (goes allong with the backpack)

VoIP type communications.

IRC, allowing the admin to select a channel and server in the server config and as clients connect to the server they are also connected to the admins channel of choice.
Wachya think? 8)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll mail the link to this post and see what kind of answer I get :)
OrbitaL-S2D
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OrbitaL-S2D »

Cool man... Im going to get a site soon. I just moved recently and i have started a new job so its kinda hectic and im going to start getting back to a schedule and ill have more time to do that stuff :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Nah - sorry but he's totally (?) into strategic games....
Not interested...

Return to “Chat about Linux”