People that think Windows is better than Linux..

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolle

People that think Windows is better than Linux..

Post by bolle »

OH MY gosh..

I was searching on google ..

"why windows is better than linux" just to see why some of these ppl think its better..

Look at this site..
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5610

I am new to Linux and can think of answers for that in 2 seconds..

Like installing is easier in windows?

sudo apt-get install VLC

sudo apt-get install wine

sudo apt-get install ANYTHING

and then its freaking done..

I just cant believe some people today.. :P
Sorry, i just wanted to vent myself out..

Have you guys had any other experiences like this? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: People that think Windows is better than Linux..

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Dont get caught up in it. You are being just as silly in a Linux forum as they are in their Windows forum. Windows has many advantages and it has many problems. As does Linux. Use what you prefer, or do like I do and use both. No harm, no shame. They are just operating systems, not religions.

Just my 2 cent anyway... :D
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

ha ya d00d we rly got them!!! Micro$uck sure is the $uckiest pile of $uck that evar $ucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 with there Windows and there bil gaets and they're steve ballmer's!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 i bet if Windows evar gets the comand line their gonna copy it off us and have things liek ls and cp only call it sumfin else like dir and copy...... thos basterds!!!!!!!!11one
bolle

Post by bolle »

?
:P
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Image Image

We've been optimized . . . . . . Image
Martin Rabson

Post by Martin Rabson »

test test
Last edited by Martin Rabson on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

bolle wrote:sudo apt-get install ANYTHING
I just tried this, it didn't work for me :-(
+1 to Martin, back in 2005 the linux scene was much worse than it is now, just as it was in it's time much better than it was in 2000. The point is linux development is vastly superior to Windows, we would never go 6 years without a release.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Yeah, its an old rant from 2005. Not relevant to Linux in 2009, but still relevant to Windows. Windows hasn't changed much, but Linux has.
Here is why Windows is better than Linux. (1) Installing programs is easy with windows because there is a standard. Try installing VLC and you'll see what I mean. (2) Anytime you try to install or change something on your own computer you have to type a password. And god forbid you run the program in root, then you get every warning that exists. (3) Installing anything good in Linux requires an entire weekend ending up in learning how to reinvent the wheel. (4) To truly use any Linux distribution your going to have to either take classes in how Linux works or spend time reading a lot of books and forums.
1) VLC installs via apt-get. What could be easier?
2) This is called SECURITY. Windows lacks it. Suck it!
3) Not true. See #1 above. :)
4) Not true. See #1 above. :)

My computers at home run Linux. Well, okay, not all of them. My NAS runs BSD. Hah! My wife's computer, the one of mine that she uses the most, is a dual-boot of Mint and XP. It spends most of its time in XP. I use XP in Virtualbox on the computers I use directly at home, for the occasional direct access to MS Office 2007 for the simple fact that Office 2007 is what I use at work. The kids, all 4 of them (even the 3yo) and my wife are all comfortable using Linux. Kinda totally defeats #4 above. Do they install much of their own software? Not at all. My wife has root access but doesn't use it much (I have to run the updates on their computers), but will google around for software she wants and then tell me what to apt-get if it is important to her. Like for tuning her piano, for example. This hammers home the strength of #2, and the reality is that anything I want to install is as easy as an apt-get and not burdened with commercial fees.

Honestly, unless I want to play games or dabble in warez I don't see any reason to use Windows. There are better, fancier, more awesomely graphical 3D games for Windows, so if I really felt the screaming need to play a fancy game I probably ought to have a dualboot Windows partition somewhere. There are a bazillion more pirate warez titles for Windows than for Linux, so if I really felt the screaming need to stuff my computers with trojans and malware I'd need Windows.

But if I don't care about 3D games and don't want illegal pirated software laden with malware? What then is the appeal of Windows?

Hmm... turns out, not much for me.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

emorrp1 wrote:
bolle wrote:sudo apt-get install ANYTHING
I just tried this, it didn't work for me :-(
+1 to Martin, back in 2005 the linux scene was much worse than it is now, just as it was in it's time much better than it was in 2000. The point is linux development is vastly superior to Windows, we would never go 6 years without a release.
I dont know, I think 2005-2007ish will be looked on as the golden age of Linux. Every distro released worked extremely well. Sure, Linux has developed since then, and Mint growing up as it has is a HUGE benefit for newcomers. But since spring 2008 Linux has been sliding downhill fast! It is just that the basic structure is changing, the switch from HAL to policies, the introduction of (crap :evil: ) like pulseaudio which is a solution in search of a problem and the bundling of what was once small modular components. I tried KDE in the Mint 7 KDE CE for the first time since the new style has been out and I hate it. It is buggy and bloated and full of unnecessary junk. Gnome is not much better. Even Xfce is going downhill. I finally gave up on all of it and just learned Fluxbox and I am quite happy with it. Yeah sure, Linux is growing up, but for me it is the difference between a cute kid and a sneaky teenager. The kid requires more guidance and handling but is very bendable to the smart operator. The teenager is self sufficient and more hands off but...Watch you butt is all I can say... :wink:
Marcush

Post by Marcush »

Well im some ways Windows has its advanteges over Linux. Sorry to say but both sides have advantages and disadvantages. Just look at LinuxMint, The GUI is greatly simular to windows. I could go into more details but here is the point. Both sides have thier advantages, I use both. The funny thing is that Linux needs Windows. Windows provides a goal, a standard. What would happen if all of a sudden windows was no longer used? No longer any market domination. What would happer? The bleak reality is that we need windows to give people a standard.
rhY

Post by rhY »

I disagree with you fundamentally Marcush, and further, I think Apple has been providing that standard for some time (and Windows is cloning IT!).

However, I think Linux has been ahead of both other OSes for a long time, in security, stability, speed, power, even eye candy.

I like Windows. Because I play games and Windows has all the games. But when I'm doing serious stuff, recording music, editing video, etc.... Linux has got it beat in all corners. Faster, more productive, rock solid...

Windows has it's place: For script kiddies and Norton, and Gamers.

For serious computer users, there's Linux, and for people who wish to remain uneducated about computers, there's Mac.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Marcush wrote:... LinuxMint, The GUI is greatly simular to windows.
Wow! You're right! Microsoft must have copied the X-windowing system that was around long before MS Windows. Linux's windowing interfaces and MS Windows are similar in function and appearance, as well as having a similar name, because both evolved from a similar base concept!
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

Marcush wrote:Well im some ways Windows has its advanteges over Linux. Sorry to say but both sides have advantages and disadvantages. Just look at LinuxMint, The GUI is greatly simular to windows. I could go into more details but here is the point. Both sides have thier advantages, I use both. The funny thing is that Linux needs Windows. Windows provides a goal, a standard. What would happen if all of a sudden windows was no longer used? No longer any market domination. What would happer? The bleak reality is that we need windows to give people a standard.
I think you're essentially right. One thing you learn about in computers is trade-offs, and using the right tool for the job. Linux has the advantage in security and stability, and a lack of focus on the profit motive. Windows advantage has long been ease of use, and the fact that it has become the OS everyone uses.

While the Linux UI has been rather different from Windows in the past, it does seem to be evolving more in the Windows direction. That's because Windows is the de facto standard.

But I would tend to disagree that Linux needs Windows, and that we need Windows to provide a standard. Although Linux has copied a lot of things from Windows (and, NO, I'm not talking source code!!! Maybe a better way to put it is "provided workalikes"), without Windows, something else would be the standard. Or Linux would develop its own standard.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

People are taught to use Windows in school, that is why they have to go through a learning curve to use Linux. In a study of people that had never used a computer before, nearly all participants though that Linux was easier to use! Novell conducted the study. Linux is secure and needs nearly no maintenance to keep it running but Windows is more finished even with all of it's anti virus software, defragmenting and so on. Windows can handle graphics cards that the system does not recognize, all system sounds work, compositing does not interfere with games, videos etc.

Both Linux and Windows have their good and bad points. I of course prefer Linux but I can understand why some people choose Windows. Like FedoraRefugee said, It's just an operating system.
dequire

Post by dequire »

I totally DIS-agree with the "Linux moving towards Windows" arguments. Follow the developers of KDE, for instance, and you'll see that they comment on just this regularly. Having OSX, Windows, and Mac trying to evolve the DE to the next level, based on affordable technology that exists today, there are bound to be some similarities.

Recently posted by a KDE developer here:
Keeping an eye on others without becoming distracted

As a footnote to this entry, I thought I'd share something related but not strictly on this topic that we keep running into with Plasma. We do keep eyes on what others are doing, whether that's Microsoft, Apple, Google, Intel, Nokia, Enlightenment, GNOME or people doing purely academic research work. This helps give us some perspective and reality checks from time to time. It also helps us get some good ideas we may not have come up with on our own. At the same time, we're doing new things in new ways as well, and so while we watch others we also have to remain on guard that we don't end up becoming distracted from our own mission. There's a fine line between keeping tabs on the other cars in a race and chasing their light lights. It's interesting to observe how easy it is for the human mind to start doing the latter. Perhaps that's just part of being a social species?
BTW - The whole article is a great read for anyone interested in where KDE is going.
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

@deguire

Just as a clarification, I don't think the whole of linux is moving towards windows. I think the UI has, though, in order to be more familiar to windows users, among other things. Whether it will continue in this direction, I am not sure. Probably in some ways, it will.
Marcush

Post by Marcush »

bolle wrote:OH MY gosh..

I was searching on google ..

"why windows is better than linux" just to see why some of these ppl think its better..

Look at this site..
http://kerneltrap.org/node/5610

I am new to Linux and can think of answers for that in 2 seconds..

Like installing is easier in windows?

sudo apt-get install VLC

sudo apt-get install wine

sudo apt-get install ANYTHING

and then its freaking done..

I just cant believe some people today.. :P
Sorry, i just wanted to vent myself out..

Have you guys had any other experiences like this? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I use both, he is an unbiased opinion. I like both just about equally.

In my opinion windows installing system is better the mint because it is easier for open source distribution

Linux mint has features like multiple tanks bars and panels.

However windows makes it easy to get files more readily available from the desktop.

linux is free

windows is mainstram and has more software.

linux has less problems with viruses and malware.

I could go on but the point is dont disc them because you are just as pathetic. Some people vastly like windows better some reaaly like mint or another linux distro. What someone chooses is purely based off what they want from an operating system. Take a step back and look at the broader picture before talking so stupid.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

FWIW: There are many distros of Linux, anyone with the forethought to look can find one that works with any mother board. Let's see Windows top that. Also the price is right, we are not making Bill any richer. Make your contributions to the distro of choice and you get it back ten fold, no viruses, no malware, no problems that cannot be solved one way or another.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

optimize me wrote:ha ya d00d we rly got them!!! Micro$uck sure is the $uckiest pile of $uck that evar $ucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 with there Windows and there bil gaets and they're steve ballmer's!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 i bet if Windows evar gets the comand line their gonna copy it off us and have things liek ls and cp only call it sumfin else like dir and copy...... thos basterds!!!!!!!!11one
-o0o-
  • They have medicine for people who vent rubbish like this...great another linux-fan boy....
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Marcush

Post by Marcush »

rhY wrote:I disagree with you fundamentally Marcush, and further, I think Apple has been providing that standard for some time (and Windows is cloning IT!).

However, I think Linux has been ahead of both other OSes for a long time, in security, stability, speed, power, even eye candy.

I like Windows. Because I play games and Windows has all the games. But when I'm doing serious stuff, recording music, editing video, etc.... Linux has got it beat in all corners. Faster, more productive, rock solid...

Windows has it's place: For script kiddies and Norton, and Gamers.

For serious computer users, there's Linux, and for people who wish to remain uneducated about computers, there's Mac.
I forgot to respond to this... look honestly i have used all 3 and I have a couple things

1. apple leads nothing, im sorry i used it they break basic rules of GUi's and the most simple tasks in linux or windows become more strung out evernts. (even time machine is a waste of time "oo i retrieve lost files in a fancy fashion that takes twice as long) Besides that they are lacky in things like drag and drop an area wher Microsoft exceeds. Apple computers are a waste of money.

2. Windows is much better for work. Another thing that alot of linux users dont like to admit but windows software is simply easier to use. Open office will never touch office for usability, im sorry it just wont happen, Gimp wont touch adobe photoshop or even some other cheaper programs. The quality put out in open source is amazing, but it cant compete for charge software.

3. Alot of the mint Gui is windows based, and that is OK take what works and improve on what doesn't

I will end this with the fact that I disagree with YOU fundamentally

PS I am impossibly opinionated, and you are a good opponent for this argument

Return to “Chat about Linux”