Tried Fedora 12 yet?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nukm

Re: Tried Fedora 12 yet?

Post by nukm »

Exactly - does one need Fedora 12 for an ipod? The PC is now down to netbook and getting smaller every day. In fact, the Hutterties on this forum unknowingly reinforce the argument when they tell folk how little RAM they need for everyday tasks, and especially no 64 bit. Every seen a really good texter in action? You couldn't give them a desktop.

If you don't think the cloud is here, how about show me your paper stock certificates. Do you get paper bills or emails? Do you use an online bank that has zero physical services outside the Net? That is here now. The London Stock Exchange has been "cloud" for quite a long time. It's not that you "won't" use it; it is that you'll have no choice. "Money" is an entry in an electronic ledger.

Just think - how much of a full distro does the desktop need? The Live CDs acknowledge that with less than 700mb of zipped stuff and many much smaller. When it is all "out there", all one needs is a small device with an imbedded OS. The fanboy era is over.

But, Fedora 12 is quite nice. At least Yum is still kicking and we don't have to zypp it!
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

I think Google has a good idea, if you really think about it, but I think getting people to trust putting there personal files somewhere other than their HD may be their biggest challenge. I really don't care if the app I use originates from my HD or online but the concerns over privacy and security are quite huge in my opinion.

At home I have my installs set to boot up and open the browser immediately, why, because that's where we go 90% of the time we jump on the computer, just saves a click and a couple seconds. I'll definetly investigate it more when it becomes closer to finished (tried the vbox D/L today).
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

MaddogF16 wrote:I think Google has a good idea, if you really think about it, but I think getting people to trust putting there personal files somewhere other than their HD may be their biggest challenge.
Only some people will have that as an issue

Many people use wep or open wireless networks, use social networking sites, worry little about personal data being spread everywhere and remembered always on the Internet, don't worry that Google is collecting..collecting (data) and never sleeping
  • --and for a fee will let almost anyone who wants to mine that data (Google analytics); now they have added that new feature, find out who is searching your own data
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Techno ... 9726?f=rss

All those people, and they might even be the majority (I don't know for sure) have no problem with 100% open access.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

So what do you think Google's chances are with this then? Does it now depend on how many good apps they can get established for doing all your computing tasks? App-store anyone. :wink:
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

Cloud is Just Another Word for "Sucker" :lol:
http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructur ... 400635OPSV
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

waldo wrote:For general business/personal use, the hard disk PC with all your documents locally is conceptually dead. I predict a subscription model, where you can save encrypted documents on the "cloud" (your personal key), co-existing with the free service where your documents, correspondence, and browsing habits can be scanned for advertising purposes, such as Google does now. Google and other companies will offer both services.

(...)

This is the future of what we now call a computer. I'm sure there will continue to be more complex computers for specialty work (multi media editing, for example), and for the skeptics, there will be devices to sync with and save your cloud documents and photos (sort of like a backup server you keep in your home or office).
This is one of the worst, stupid, *******... idea in the world! The future will be very sad. Already today we have "the sorry state of the Open Source" but tomorrow we will have the death of the common sense, of the intelligence etc... OK, this is already almost done. I'm very sad and in a depressive mood, really... :-(
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Bit Mad wrote:Cloud is Just Another Word for "Sucker" :lol:
http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructur ... 400635OPSV
The fallacy of that article is that she is writing the parallel to what motor car owners complained about in the early part of the last century: road ruts and broken axles and stubborn crank starters. We are in the Model T age of Internet services. Her complaints will seem silly 10 years from now.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

Sorry, but in my 25 years in I.T. I've seen wave after wave of attempts to centralise processing power with dumb terminals or "thin clients" or whatever, and each fad passes ... we tend to want as much power and versatility as possible on our desks.

I can imagine the 'cloud' being popular amongst a certain set of undemanding customers, but not for the majority.

Time will tell :)

(edit : and here's another one http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/ ... rome-os-2/ )
fearless1012

Post by fearless1012 »

I burned Fedora 12 to a USB thumb drive and took it for a test spin last week. I was not all that impressed. I read constantly on the news feeds how cutting edge Fedora and Red Hat are, but for just the simple desktop environment, there is nothing special to it. I was "wow'ed" to death with Ubuntu and then with Mint. Fedora was like getting a stable shell of a modern home and then haveing to patch everything to make it liveable. That is not for me, even though Linux has been that for over a decade. I tested out some older Linux with the basic menu setups from 12 years ago, but thats off subject. I liked the Gnome environment but nothing to me was better than what was available in Ubuntu. The only thing I took with me from Fedora 12 were the brilliant desktop wallpaper pictures because those were beautiful.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I installed Fedora 12-Xfce on a seperate partition. Tested it.

I like Fedora and what they have done with the Xfce Desktop, but . . .
the problem being, I have always used Debian-based OS and it's a steep learning curve switching to RPM/Yum in the terminal.
Also, the boot-loader wouldn't recognize any other Linux partition, and I didn't have permission to re-config Grub?
By, the time I got 'sudoer' permission as 'root' in terminal, it was late and I was getting frustrated.
But, it is easier to add 'testing' and Rawhide repositories in Add/install programs.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

vadenasy wrote:What do yout think of a teenage guy wearing a black fedora with a suit in a formal setting? Is it cool for a teenage guy to wear a black fedora with a black suit in a formal setting?
I think this post needs to be transferred over here:
http://tinyurl.com/yc89h8b
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I tried Fedora 12 for a week or two.. It was nice, but nothing special (as others have said). I've found Helena to be a better OS in every way so far.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Ironically my eight year old came in my office a week ago and asked if he could install F12 on his computer. I took a deep breath, sighed, and told him sure, but that I was not going to take this one over, it was all up to him, I was busy. I told him I would give advice when needed and I would help him get the freshrpm repo so he could install nvidia, flash, and the codecs. He has only used Mint to date. I had to help a bit with the partitioning but other than that he did it all himself, even finding the directions to install freshrpm! He has been using it since and it has been a great release for him. Funny, because I am using Mint... :roll:
choupique

Post by choupique »

fyi,

Don't know how many of you know about the Fedora Community Remix "Omega" but the (Fedora 12) Omega "Boxer" Remix has just been released.

http://omega.dgplug.org/

It's a 1.2 gig installable live dvd (gnome desktop) with all updates and multimedia codecs on board.
Landie_UK

Post by Landie_UK »

I had dual boot on my Desktop Ubuntu and Fedora 10, 1 distro on each HDD. Both worked just fine although Fedora took a bit more tweaking. I decided to install Fedora 12 as 10 was no longer going to be supported, I found it to be quite unstable on my machine. Not only was there no ATI driver, my biggest problem was with sound no matter how I had the audio settings the sound was always a distorted squeal. Which is why I now use Mint as a boot option. This is just my experience and is no disrespect to the Fedora project as Fedora 10 worked great and they do a wonderful job of pushing Linux forward.

As to the "cloud" idea, there is NO WAY I would store my important files remotely. I use a wired network to keep my shared files safe, I have recently bought a netbook with a wireless card and have already been able to connect to someone else's wireless network without their knowledge. I am going to find out who it is tomorrow and go tell them to secure it.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

You must remember that Fedora OS is more 'bleeding edge' than most other Distros. Not a place to look for a 'stable' OS. :mrgreen:

Of course, some of us like that 'on the edge' stuffs. :lol: If it ain't broken ... I'm not trying hard enough.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Just some last words about the "cloud" idea for people who can like it.

Read this: http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/documenta ... leted.html (november 2009) It's about security, private life... :
When You Delete Your Social Media and Smartphone Files—Are They Really Deleted?

Did you ever wonder what happens to all those pictures you've posted on photo sharing sites after you've deleted them? How about all of your smartphone applications that you used once or twice then erased? In fact, you have no idea what really happens when you delete files or an entire account because you're not in control of the computers that are storing your data.

Back in the old days, when your data resided on your computer, you decided when to erase a file with either a simple click of the delete key or by using a file erase program.

As more consumer data moves onto cloud computing platforms like Gmail and Facebook, and closed platforms like Kindle and iPhone, deleting your data—whether old email messages, college photos on Flickr or personal posts on Facebook—becomes more complicated. In fact, you have to trust that these companies will delete your data when you ask them to. Unfortunately, many of these sites are more likely to make your data inaccessible than actually delete it. And even if you do manage to delete your files, copies are almost certain to remain in the companies' backup systems.

A current University of Washington research project is developing a system called "Vanish" that automatically deletes data after a set time interval. Using this system, you can send an email, update your Facebook page or upload a photo to Flickr and the data will disappear after the time expires. After it disappears, no one will be able to read it.

Few people are going to stop using their iPhones or cancel their Twitter accounts just because these companies don't delete their data. But with solutions like Vanish, we can take back control of our data in the cloud.
Another reason to refuse the "cloud"... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
bradthewanderer

Post by bradthewanderer »

I am not a big fan of Fedora as it is HedRat in disguise, but it works okay. Luckily there are better distros out there.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

I won't touch "the cloud" with a bargepole.

Youtube is messing up my uploads these days, and features on my blog havent been working for months (and I'm far from being the only person affected by both those issues and more), so why on Earth would I trust these faceless corporations with my precious data? :mrgreen:
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

I have used Fedora since version 4.0.
Fedora 10 was the last version that was usable, 11 and 12 gave me networking headaches due to selinux.
Their forum was so deluged with new posts, many never got replies. After months of frustration, I went to Mandriva 2010, which is dual booted with Mint.
I will try Fedora 13 when released this summer. If they are able to correct past issues, then I will keep it installed.

Dave

Return to “Chat about Linux”