Installing Linux Mint 8 without a CD in 15 minutes

Chat about Linux in general

Installing Linux Mint 8 without a CD in 15 minutes

Postby Freeguy on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Got tired of stacking CD after CD of your favorite Linux distro every time a new version is released? Want faster installs? Well, read further.

You'll need: an older version of Mint(or some other OS) installed on your computer, an internet connection and a USB stick.

Download the Mint 8 ISO image and while you're doing that, open your Package Manager and install Unetbootin.

When your download is done(instead of burning it on a CD) connect the USB stick to your computer, start Unetbootin and select the ISO image and your USB drive(make sure that your USB stick is the only USB drive connected to your computer!). Then hit OK.

After it's finished, reboot and make sure to set your BIOS to start of the USB stick.

And voila you're ready to install the new version of Linux Mint! The install took me 15 minutes!
Freeguy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Linux Mint 8 without a CD in 15 minutes

Postby bucknut4lyf on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey all.

This is gonna be a newbie question. But I can't seem to find the ISO file or image anywhere in my download. I know how to mount it and all that. But I can't mount an image if I can't find the file to do so.

I downloaded the the main edition of Linux Mint 8. I've never had this problem with Mint 7 or Ubuntu.

Help Please :(
bucknut4lyf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby markcynt on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:50 am

bucknut4lyf wrote:Hey all.

This is gonna be a newbie question. But I can't seem to find the ISO file or image anywhere in my download. I know how to mount it and all that. But I can't mount an image if I can't find the file to do so.

I downloaded the the main edition of Linux Mint 8. I've never had this problem with Mint 7 or Ubuntu.

This is a very poorly worded post.

I'd like to help but I don't really understand if you.

I always download to the desktop, makes it easy to find what I've downloaded.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rob2uk on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:05 am

bucknut4lyf wrote:Hey all.

Which OS are you using now?

If it's Mint 8 there is an extra folder in your Home directory called Downloads... it's most likely in there
GA-965-DS3, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 8GB DDR2, 2x1TB HDD, Linux Mint 11
Acer Aspire 5332, Pentium dual core 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Linux Mint 11, Linux Mint Debian
Compaq CQ-60, Sempron 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Tinycore 3.7rc2 (Minecraft server!)
rob2uk
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Chat about Linux