Apple's Safari

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newfie

Apple's Safari

Post by newfie »

Two questions here...

1) Why do you think Apple avoids releasing Software for GNU/Linux despite claiming to embrace and support open source?

2) Is Safari Free (libre)?

I bring this up because I recently bought a MacBook due to needing a more compatible OS than GNU/Linux.. and I would much rather spend extra on a UNIX (BSD) based OS which supports open source over Windows 7. I want to try to use open/free software as much as I can. Safari is just one prime example.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Apple's Safari

Post by Husse »

Apple is not exactly "free friendly"
Kendall

Re: Apple's Safari

Post by Kendall »

Basically Apple open-sourced webkit in order to spur the proliferation of webkit based plugins and applications (most notably for the iPhone app store) that they could turn around and make a fortune with them. This was one of the better business decisions they have ever made, but note that they can claim to be supporting open-source because of stuff like this.

Return to “Chat about Linux”