Pardus 2009.1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badmotor

Pardus 2009.1

Post by badmotor »

I have installed this in a virtual machine, and I have been enjoying it so far. Looks great (unlike most distros) and install was a noob breeze. Seems quite nice, and is a good KDE distro possibly. Anyone else using this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Pardus 2009.1

Post by markcynt »

Tried the last release and was very impressed.

I think over time it could become a major distro, especially since it's sponsored by the Turkish government.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Just gave it an install 2 days ago. Would not work with my Ethernet card.
Did everything I could to resolve the problem, so I gave up. If it does not work with my hardware at first boot, it is gone, no questions asked.
There are too many distros that will work the first time out...even live, like Mint. Why beat a dead horse? :?:

Cheers,
Dave
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Let's be fair now. :)

No distro works on all hardware.

Pardus is a quality distro.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

markcynt wrote:Let's be fair now. :)

I do not doubt you. I felt Pardus was good, except there was no internet. Same with Suse.
If I could figure out how to resolve the networking problems, I definitely would try more distros out.

I'm outta hear
Dave
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

dwflo wrote:
markcynt wrote:Let's be fair now. :)

I do not doubt you. I felt Pardus was good, except there was no internet. Same with Suse.
If I could figure out how to resolve the networking problems, I definitely would try more distros out.

I'm outta hear
Dave

Pardus requires the internet connection be setup manually, doesn't do i automatically like most. Odd, but not a breaker, just annoying.
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Midnighter wrote:Pardus requires the internet connection be setup manually, doesn't do i automatically like most. Odd, but not a breaker, just annoying.
Spent hours trying to get the connection setup. When I did get it setup, still was unable to connect. :x
As soon as I ran the browser, or attempted to manually run update, my setup seemed to disappear and revert back to no connection.
Nothing against Pardus, (or any distribution for that matter), but why they do not automatically setup the connection has me befuddled, since it is an Debian/Ubuntu derivative.

Regards,
Dave
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

dwflo wrote:since it is an Debian/Ubuntu derivative.
What? Pardus a "Debian/Ubuntu derivative"? :shock: I think you made an error here... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

:roll: That doesn't even sound right. A couple of clicks of the mouse, and the internet was working for me in a virtual environment. This is great - definitely not annoying.. Sounds like you are talking about something else entirely.

Is anyone here ACTUALLY using this? (Not 'I tried it once and some trivial thing happened that didn't work for me so I ditched it'). Thanks.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Not still using, no. Installd on a spare machine to try it out, was alright, but not really a KDE man. And he net needing to be setup thru it's connection manager (forget exact name) was a surprise to me, and have read similar thing from several reviews. Annoying, but otherwise, fine. What nework adaptor do you have? When i get back home I can throw it on a spare machine again and have a closer look. Will be a couple days tho, just moved over the wekend, and no net at home.
nukm

Post by nukm »

Pardus is produced by the Turkish government. It is their project - not a derivative. It is a neat KDE-latest.

Typically, the network connection is simply activated manually and it picks up DHCP settings automatically. The procedure is due to default PolicyKit settings. I've been running on 2 boxes since Pardus 2009 and it is very stable - nary a glitch.

Return to “Chat about Linux”