Debian Keyboard Problem SOLVED

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Debian Keyboard Problem SOLVED

Post by viking777 »

I recently installed Debian Stable it went pretty well apart from one peculiar keyboard problem - I can't produce the 'Pound' sign. On a UK keyboard this is Shift/3 when I press Shift/3 all I get is 3! Now normally you would jump right in and say - " You have the US keyboard map selected". But I don't, because every other key on the board is in the correct position for a UK keyboard (and that would not be the case with a US keymap).

In keyboard properties I only have the UK map listed, I have deleted all others and UK is set as default. The keyboard type is listed as 'Generic 105 key (Intl)PC'.

Following advice from various internet sites I have tried adding these lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf (in the 'input' section):

Code: Select all

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "uk"
I have run:

dpkg-reconfigure locales
But my locale is set to the uk

I have run:

dpkg-reconfigure console-data
But that made no difference either.

It is not a big deal, the pound sign is not something I have to type very often but if anyone has any other ideas I would be interested to hear them.

EDIT. I have found that I can get it to produce the £ sign (see!) by running

setxkbmap gb
but it never survives a reboot.

I am sure that doesn't help much :?

Yes it does!!! Even as I typed that edit I thought what was wrong. I have edited xorg.conf to set the keymap to uk when the actual keymap is gb.

Solved, thanks for all your assistance :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Debian Keyboard Problem SOLVED

Post by Kendall »

EDIT: I had an idea, but didn't notice the "SOLVED" until after I posted. Yay for not paying attention.

Return to “Chat about Linux”