Run As The Root Account

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Run As The Root Account

Post by Midnighter »

Guys, this was posted for abit of a alaff, so please don't make it into more than it is. Play nice please, don't make me regret posting it. Cheers. :)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Midnighter wrote:Guys, this was posted for abit of a alaff, so please don't make it into more than it is. Play nice please, don't make me regret posting it. Cheers. :)
I understand that the article you linked was humorous and not serious. The problem is we get many people in here new to Linux. Windows XP has created a perception that we should all run as administrator, that creating user accounts is a waste of time because you will always be bothered with permission problems. I admit it, I always ran XP as admin myself. But in my mind the fact that I ran Vista for almost two years without a single security worry, and now Win 7 (though the UAC is supposed to be whacked in 7, but I have not had any issues...yet) tells me that had XP enforced not running as admin then most of the problems it had would not have been relevant.

Anyway, this perception that we should run as admin is very strong, I have fought it for years. I do not find it a laughing matter, many of the Linux problems would not exist if people only knew the correct way to do things. Like it or not, when we sign on to a forum and decide to give help and advice to others we take on a large measure of responsibility. It is one thing to acknowledge that it is your computer and you can certainly do with it as you will, but it is another to say, "I don't care." You obviously DO care, otherwise you would not be wasting your time trying to help others straighten out their problems or evangelizing Linux. If I am going to be bothered to waste my time on something then I want to be sure I am doing it right, to the best of my ability.

Code: Select all

su
rm -rf /
is also funny for those of us with even a modicum of Linux experience. But I have seen that command cause much trouble even when it was put forth as a joke.

Will running as root ruin your day? Will it cause excessive damage beyond belief? Will it even ever become an issue? Maybe not...But again, I have to ask, why take the chance? What is the point?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Folks new to Linux, I think one of the first things they're gonna hear about is "don't run as root." I think the message gets put out there, enough for anyone to "get" what that article was joking about.

Relax and enjoy the laugh. Most people who decide they want to run as root aren't going to care what anyone here says, anyway. 8)
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

MALsPa wrote: Most people who decide they want to run as root aren't going to care what anyone here says, anyway. 8)
Bingo! We have a winner!

Exactly why I never argue about it, you will be ground down by the futility... :D Educate the newbies who will listen, then walk away...

The article was a hoot, goes to the above point...
azumi

Re: Run as the root account

Post by azumi »

FedoraRefugee wrote:You are quite correct in that I know nothing about your experiences, other than what I have read in your 25 posts in this forum. In fact, for all I know you may have substantial time in any of the other Linux forums under the same or another name, as I do.

But remember you were the one advising me to "learn to use a computer."
Tongue in cheek response to your non-sequiteur about guns if you recall ... but no matter.

And no - you shouldn't take anything I post at face value. I often say or do things to get the
response I need. (Such as using a female name when I need urgent support because I have
learnt over the years that you get 10 times as many responses 10 times faster that way - so yes
I do use other names too.)

What I will tell you is I don't lie or decieve online. And unlike others in these forums I don't get
paid money to promote either products or ideas. (by "these forums" I do mean WWW not just Mint of course)
You'd be suprised how many people do.
Any opinions I post are mine and any info I post is true to the best of my knowledge.

The reason I'm starting to hack at Linux is right now it's on the edge and the wrong people are pushing the wrong
things in the wrong directions. And I would like a decent and honest OS to use on my laptop. Linux is still
far off but it's the best hope for the future if certain things can be "adjusted"

To do that you have to put the info out there and let people mull it over and hope they see the truth of it eventually.

Az.
azumi

Post by azumi »

DrHu wrote:
azumi wrote:I wrote my first computer program in 1978 (COBOL) and my first embedded software (in binary) 3 years later.

That's a neat trick, how does one do; develop a program in binary
--is that the language or the format ?

'One' uses a soldering iron because the case the circut board fitted into wasn't
big enough for switches and a keypad (thats pad for typing hex) was out of the question.

..I did write something a couple of years ago thats software patented..
Oh, what was it and what is the patent #
Ah but that puts names to avatars. Can't have that can we - And I mentioned it to simply indicate
a level of experience and longevity not to boast - however I refer you to my previous post for
comments on morality.

Perhaps a little less cynicism would be nice.

Az.
Fred

Post by Fred »

azumi wrote:
And no - you shouldn't take anything I post at face value. I often say or do things to get the
response I need. (Such as using a female name when I need urgent support because I have
learnt over the years that you get 10 times as many responses 10 times faster that way - so yes
I do use other names too.)
You have been frequenting the wrong forums. I can assure you that I answer/respond to posts based solely on the content, and not on the apparent sex of the poster. In fact, most of the time I don't know, or care, if it is a female or a male. :-)

As for the rest of the content of your posted. No further comment on my part required.

Fred
nukm

Post by nukm »

Root cops out in force! Most moral value=semi-root. Obviously. Only the government should be allowed root privileges. Or Google.

You anxiety-ridden chaps should also lose sleep over the consequences of an "accidental" three-fingered salute. Imagine it happening even on a box that required two :accidents" in quick succession.

I personally like the "root-cops" since they make obvious the appeal of the distros that have other things to worry about.

If Windows was insecure simply because of login libre, UAC would have cured it. Has it?

The article is not humorous since it is a poor attempt to mock the likes of Paul Sherman from the "other" side. In fact, the Linux security mantra (Linux good, windows evil) has never concentrated on "logins" but file structure and OS code disparity versus hacks. The mantra is now changed, coming first from Canonical, the closed privately owned corporation that intends demolishing MS.

But why?

Hey, if it is so evil, why does Mint make provision for it? Why not Ubuntu the thing? Mint has taken special pains to make it possible. Ubuntu has deliberately obscured it. For several releases, although initially they didn't "understand the problem", apparently, as there was a menu for enabling root mischief.

If someone with a non-Adminstrative account in Mint had visited this forum some time back, with their Windows shares hanging out and javascript enabled, would that have saved them from the redirects on the forum pages?

But, the anxious will always find something to feed their self-indulgence.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

<sigh>

I guess in the end it all boils down to common sense. You lock your front door when you leave. You unplug the iron too. You don't leave the keys in the ignition when you park the car and you set the e-brake despite the fact it is also in park. You put the gun on safe and put chocks under the wheels of the airplane. You wear safety goggles when grinding metal and a respirator when painting. Can you get away with not doing any or all of these things? :roll: It all comes down to common sense.

The world is full of idiots stumbling around without a shred of common sense. If you have a good reason for doing (or not doing) something then that is one thing. If you are just bucking common sense then it is quite another.

As far as Windows, they are trying to do something about UAC. I have not had anything install itself on Vista or Windows 7. Ever. I hear Windows 7 does have a UAC problem, this is because Windows is still trying to compromise for user convenience. They should require a strong administrator password that needs to be entered every time a system change is made. No more problems unless the user himself is duped into installing something. But the OS can only do so much. People are a much bigger problem. This thread is proof of that. :wink:
BuzzKiller

Post by BuzzKiller »

So, did he mean the Sham-WOW guy or Shamu, the killer whale? Noticed he has Shamoo. I'm a little corn-fused... :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”