Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PhoenixKsE

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by PhoenixKsE »

In my terminal, paste is ctrl+shift+V. Don't know what terminal you're using with it being shift+insert.... That would be super weird... having to use my right hand to paste something. *Shudders*
rekik

Post by rekik »

PhoenixKsE wrote:In my terminal, paste is ctrl+shift+V. Don't know what terminal you're using with it being shift+insert....
Both work
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

PhoenixKsE wrote:In my terminal, paste is ctrl+shift+V. Don't know what terminal you're using with it being shift+insert.... That would be super weird... having to use my right hand to paste something. *Shudders*
It's not super weird. It's just another way of copy/pasting text. Here's another one: your mouse's middle click button (i.e., the scroll wheel button) also pastes highlighted text. No need to copy it. Just highlight. ;)
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
PhoenixKsE

Post by PhoenixKsE »

Holy crap really?! That's awesome I can't believe I didn't see that in there! Haha productivity time!
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Don't you dare use your mouse to paste as that would involve that scary right hand! :lol:
Tony.B

Post by Tony.B »

tedtrash wrote:After many years, I have decided that it is better to generate technical equity by learning how to do something than to rely on an expert to make things barely usable.
What a great observation.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

PhoenixKsE wrote:In my terminal, paste is ctrl+shift+V. Don't know what terminal you're using with it being shift+insert
Welcome to Linux. Shift-Insert also means paste here, no matter what program you use. Its just like Ctrl-V, except that terminal replaced that shortcut with ctrl-shift-V. The terminal doesn't care about people using Shift-Insert as that means nothing to bash.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I think it has to do with time and convenience.

I do believe there are computer users who could financially affor Windows or Mac, but they are computer illiterate by nature.

Then these users hear how great Linux is and want to know why without having to work to get past the learning curve.

But I believe newbies go Linux because they can do the math.

Yesterday I spent a miserable day installing Win7 on a laptop and IT TOOK FOREVER!

It takes me 30 minutes MAX to setup LMDE xfce now that I am past the learning curve.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

I have to give my 2 cents in this discussion. I come, as most people do, from a Windows world and I ran into the same problems and obstacles that we all do at the beginning. What I did a little different than many other people is - I kept on trying, reading, experimenting, braking, fixing, installing, uninstalling, searching for answers, searching for a distro that I will call my own... I started that in 2004 and now, after 8 years I can say - I found what I was looking for and I have many, many great things to say about my choice (LMDE).
What you all know and not many are saying is that there is a large amount of Windows lovers out there but mostly because they are running pirated versions of Windows. If they were to pay for all that I believe that the numbers would be allot smaller. Secondly, most of the Windows applications and the OS itself is Idiot Proofed. And they should be for the amount of money users have to pay to run it. However, using Windows for years produced another kind of user - lazy user. A user who thinks that there is only one way: exe, zip, msi and everything will be done with a double click.
Along comes Linux with a totally different idea but at the same time - it is "really" free. Some got sick of paying; some got sick of restarting; some got sick fighting with viruses and spyware... some just got plain sick... In any case, many decided that they will give Linux a try...
Many also started princess from day one. What is wrong with this OS - I actually have to invest my time, effort and read instructions - that is not acceptable. I am going back - Windows was good after all... Some tried for a little bit more. Some liked it and could see behind the curtain and now they are happy users of one of the greatest OS out there.
My only regret was, up to last year, not being able to use my Linux for work. I just had to keep a machine with Windows so that I can run AutoCAD. Well, last year I bought Bricscad (for a 10-th of the price) and then I got DraftSight and now I am in business. I can do it all. I am happy like a pig in the mud and I have a stable, fast, resourceful, clever, genius operating system, thank to Mint and Debian and the version LMDE 201204. If anyone would ask me about it I can only say that I was lucky to stick to Linux because now I have it all, the way I want it and for free. Cheers!
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

boysha wrote:IWhat you all know and not many are saying is that there is a large amount of Windows lovers out there but mostly because they are running pirated versions of Windows. If they were to pay for all that I believe that the numbers would be allot smaller. Secondly, most of the Windows applications and the OS itself is Idiot Proofed. And they should be for the amount of money users have to pay to run it. However, using Windows for years produced another kind of user - lazy user. A user who thinks that there is only one way: exe, zip, msi and everything will be done with a double click.
why make things complicated?

many people dont' have the will, knwoledge or time to invest into learning an OS. many people just want a tool that can work for them. i don't care how my GPS navigator works or what operating system it runs as longs as it gets me where i want to go. if linux can get oyu where you want to go then it is sure better to use it than Windows. but in my case Linux can't get me to all the places so i stay on windows. which i payed for and it's not that much considering how many years you use it. Pirated version nowadays are not worth it as they are a security risk. maybe only if you need to run some specific programme in vbox.

Linux comes from server OS background and wants to be desktop os. While Windows was designed as desktop OS from start (and then wanted to be server OS). they both broke into their respective markets. but if you ask me windows is still doing the job a lot better on my desktop while i would never replace linux on server.

Problem is in little things. stuff not working as it should, crashes in linux, strange error messgaes. plenty of small critical bugs which are indeed critical yet unresolved.
boysha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by boysha »

You are probably right in your own domain but saying that Linux crashes and is not stable etc... that is not true. What is true that people try out Linux with little or no knowledge (using Windows for 15 years doesn't exactly mean "knowledge" of computers), maybe a smaller, one man show distro or a complicated but beautiful Gentoo, or maybe just plain old Ubuntu but not really knowing what to do next and then crazy situations happen and people are just to quick to "report" on some forum: I tried ****** Linux and it was crashing and it wouldn't work. Therefore: Linux sucks and it doesn't work and I should stay away from it and go back to my comfortable Windows - at least I know that I paid for - must be then that it is better than that free Linux joke...
But, again, no sense talking about it. I am just so glad that I am on the other side - Linux side. I had Mint 9 for a while and for some childish reason I wanted to see how much time will pass by before I have to restart my Linux box. It was actually 97 days... Windows hardly works without constant maintenance for 97 days...
Cheers!
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

Free is an easy thing to drop. You didn't invest any money into it, so it's easy to give up on. It's not like signing a loan for a new car... it was free, and you can ALWAYS go back to Windows. With Linux there is never any commitment.

Imagine going to a restaurant for a meal, and you're served a new dish you've never had before. You take one bite, and it's not that good. It's not bad, but it's not good. It's more of an acquired taste. If you kept eating it, you'd eventually like it. However, if you paid for this meal, you'd ask for something else, but if this meal was free, you'd either eat it or throw it away.

Secondly, there is no reason to use Linux. I know how that sounds, but think about it in these terms. Windows and Linux accomplish the same goals for "most" users. Web-Browsing, Office Software, Music, Pictures, Etc. And Windows just came with my new computer... It does what I need it to, so why change?

Linux has never been a "mainstream" OS. It has always been set aside for more advanced computer users, in other words, it has a "reputation" for being outside the main-stream of the PC. And realistically, advanced users have reasons to use Linux.
Holy Cripes on Toast!
Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

If you look at the various posts on these and other linux forums, you'll notice that the most common issues that tend to challenge new users are grub/boot, wlan connectivity, and sound, to name just a few. Perhaps it's a sign of the times, but most people don't seem to have the patience or interest to persevere in learning how to troubleshoot these issues. In sum, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. :shock:
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

3fRI wrote:If you look at the various posts on these and other linux forums, you'll notice that the most common issues that tend to challenge new users are grub/boot, wlan connectivity, and sound, to name just a few. Perhaps it's a sign of the times, but most people don't seem to have the patience or interest to persevere in learning how to troubleshoot these issues. In sum, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. :shock:
Well said. My favorite people are the ones that talk up Linux into being something "Better" than Windows. When a user tries it, starts with the impression that it is going to be just like Windows, only better... which is a contradiction in terms. You can't be the same, but better.
Holy Cripes on Toast!
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

Videogames :P .
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

toomuchcoffee wrote:Videogames :P .
If game designers started building their games for OpenGL instead of DirectX, it'd be simple to port. Or, if Microsoft released made a DirectX for Linux (never happen), Wine would work flawlessly.
Holy Cripes on Toast!
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

@ toomuchcoffee & shibblet

I am unfamiliar with the game design industry as a whole.

Are you two saying that DirectX has compatibility issues with Linux?
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

animaguy wrote:@ toomuchcoffee & shibblet

I am unfamiliar with the game design industry as a whole.

Are you two saying that DirectX has compatibility issues with Linux?
DirectX is a software package developed by Microsoft to allow game designers to build games for that package. DirectX is fully supported by Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

OpenGL is a similar package (or API) that lets game designers build their game engines, but is supported by Windows and Linux.
Holy Cripes on Toast!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Wine translates Direct3D to OpenGL fine for most games. And the Gallium3D (open-source radeon, nouveau) graphics drivers are attempting to support DirectX 10/11 directly, as that works even faster than having to translate to OpenGL. Don't know if that's yet finished though.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shibblet »

AlbertP wrote:Wine translates Direct3D to OpenGL fine for most games. And the Gallium3D (open-source radeon, nouveau) graphics drivers are attempting to support DirectX 10/11 directly, as that works even faster than having to translate to OpenGL. Don't know if that's yet finished though.
That's a great step in the right direction! I am a bit confused how it can be supported, if the OS can't actually install DirectX without WINE.
Holy Cripes on Toast!

Return to “Chat about Linux”