Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by FedoraRefugee »

owend wrote:FedoraRefugee: your last post reads as though you're hoping that many more people will give up on Linux: I presume that's a mis-speak! You don't come across as anti-Linux! :)
Anti-Linux? No, of course not! Not at all! :roll:

I am anti-people! :shock:

:lol:
owend

Post by owend »

Thanks for clearing that up; I won't take it personally although actually I'm a people myself on occasions.
tower

Post by tower »

Robin, that was unsporting of you.
The official Windows baiting season doesn't start for a another 2 weeks :lol:
GilDo

Post by GilDo »

The answer is simple, because they haven't tried Linux Mint! :mrgreen:
I have been with Windows for most of my life. I started with c=64, Amigas, and then Windows. I considered myself a Windows "Power User", most of my friends were coming to me for advice.....then it came Vista......that did it!
I decided to try Linux. After trying several distros and having mixed results with hardware compatibility and video-audio codecs (I have 64 bit machines) I was fortunate to run across Linux Mint 8 in 64 bit.
I wiped out my Vista HP laptop and installed Mint......EVERYTHING WORKED from the go! Wow! I thought I was going to have to learn how to use the console but to my surprise I didn't have to. After having the 64 bit version on my laptop I decided it was time to become Windows free at last!
I wiped out Vista from mt HP Elite with a Quad processor and installed it. I have to say that this desktop kicks ass! I installed Windows VIsta (Wish I had XP) as a virtual machine using the free VMware Player and I can still use my Quicken and Nikon software without any problems.
I am looking forward for the next "MINT" release.
Gil

Ps; by the way, I also have an iMac 24" and I find myself spending more time with Mint. :D
mathazar102

Post by mathazar102 »

I think part of the reason why many computer users shy away from using Linux is because it is easy to find self-help websites for Windows that do not use lots of technical jargon. There should be more websites that assist Linux "newbies" with a limit on the use of technical jargon (if technical jargon is used the meaning should be explained). It is probably intimating for computer users that don't have an IT background and have a limited technical vocabulary to use Linux as their primary OS.

However, I do think that this forum is pretty easy to use and that it is a good idea to have a newbie forum. I've seen on other sites where newbies have been "flamed".
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I don't agree with you. That is, from my experience there is no difference between finding help regarding windows or linux. However I can understand, that there exists an illusion of difference. I have been subject to it myself. The illusion comes from the fact that most people trying linux already have many years of windows experience.

I also think that this forum and irc channel is doing a wonderful job in helping people to solve their linux problems. I have never seen someone being called a noob. A forum seach for "noob" only results in topics where people call themselves noobs. This encourages people not to be afraid of asking questions and they learn linux faster. Indeed a very good way to reduce the number of people giving up on linux.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Most people bail on Linux because they lack motivation. Sure there are people who are in situations that physically or mentally prevent them from succeeding with Linux but I suspect that is a small percent. Lets face it Linux is not that difficult to use, if it were it wouldn't be so widely used around the world by so many different folks. Problems with motivation are the responsibility of the individual not the responsibility of the Devs or user community at large. JMHO
Last edited by monkeyboy on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vtired

Post by vtired »

I was almost winning a new Linux mint user, because with windows he could not work with Amharic. Using my own computer I showed him how it was easy to get Amharic in Linux. But his laptop is an Asus K50C, with Linux, Ethernet doesn't work. I lost him. Today i have downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 beta. I want give it a try and see if Ethernet will respond this time.
But I think that there are advantages of remaining a minority. Isn't that the reason why we in Linux remain safe from virus, worms, bacteria and other micro-organisms that attack windows?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Sure - that is one of the reasons. Who would want to spent time and write a virus which infects 5% of computers rather than 95%. But you should never assume, that this is the only security you can have. Anyway not drifting into security topics anymore, I think if linux were more popular, the benefits would outweigh the increased security risk.

P.S.
I receive a dictionary attack on my linux server (trying to log on via ssh) almost every day from random IPs aound the world (so linux is not "invisible" :P
chris0101

Post by chris0101 »

eiver wrote:Sure - that is one of the reasons. Who would want to spent time and write a virus which infects 5% of computers rather than 95%.
Because said operating system and kernel power most of the world's supercomputers and servers. That is arguably a more tempting target than just a desktop.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

chris0101 wrote:
eiver wrote:Sure - that is one of the reasons. Who would want to spent time and write a virus which infects 5% of computers rather than 95%.
Because said operating system and kernel power most of the world's supercomputers and servers. That is arguably a more tempting target than just a desktop.
I've always thought that some virus writer out there would be up to the challenge and would want to be the one who manages to infect millions of Linux systems. The fact that this hasn't happened makes me feel pretty secure about using Linux -- and it seems to lend credibility to the idea that the relatively small number of desktop Linux users has nothing to do with why there aren't any Linux viruses in the wild.
Fred

Post by Fred »

eiver wrote:
I receive a dictionary attack on my linux server (trying to log on via ssh) almost every day from random IPs aound the world (so linux is not "invisible" :P
Of course it isn't invisible. It is a server. If it was invisible, what good would it be? :-)

If you don't need ssh I would turn it off incidentally. If you do use it, use port forwarding to further isolate it from the outside world.

Also, I am sure that Linux's popularity on the desktop may have something to do with the lack of desktop viruses, but it isn't the over arching reason. A virus must have two characteristics. It must be able to survive/replicate itself and spread to/infect another machine. The Linux environment is quite hostile to these efforts. Linux uses a time tested system of ownership and permissions that have proven quite resilient. Linux uses a unified file system that is also time tested. Remember, Linux was designed from the ground up as a multi-untrusted-user system.

Fred

Post by 1984 »

If there was a linux system that looked like this I would download it immediatly

If that actualy exsits. Windows xp was the last good idea microsoft had. If there was a way to provide a linux version like that that was already wined it would definently target the "I refuse to update to windows vista or 7" crowed. Like myself. Something that would bridge the gap. Be friendly and familer, yet teach the basics of linux at the same time, preping the user to be competant on other linux systems.

Is that real?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

it is Linux Mint! works better than any other distro i know of. No - haven't tried them all.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Post by 1984 »

Could I get that look?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

there are places to get icons and themes etc. try gnome-look or KDE-look etc. also if you knew more about software you could make you own if you needed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Ouch! That is a most unfortunate theme! :lol:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

1984 wrote:If there was a linux system that looked like this I would download it immediatly

If that actualy exsits. Windows xp was the last good idea microsoft had. If there was a way to provide a linux version like that that was already wined it would definently target the "I refuse to update to windows vista or 7" crowed. Like myself. Something that would bridge the gap. Be friendly and familer, yet teach the basics of linux at the same time, preping the user to be competant on other linux systems.

Is that real?
This, OTOH, is decent! I have used that as my traditional wallpaper for 7-8 years now, I even have it on my BlackBerry.

Why can you not have a theme similar to this? Do the icons or the menu icon have to be identical? It looks like your average Linux desktop to me. I mean, really, what is the difference between the default Mint Gnome desktop and a Windows desktop? Both have desktop icons, a taskbar, a clock, a tool tray...They both use file browsers, quick launch icons, right click action menus...You can change the wallpaper on both and to a much greater extent on Linux you can change the theme and icons...

It is just my humble elitist opinion but folks that get this carried away with trying to make Linux look like Windows should just stay with Windows. You will really be much happier in the long run, just pay the money and buy the OS you want to use.
tower

Post by tower »

FedoraRefugee, you miss the point, they are covert Linux operatives, they must have a disguise :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”