10 Major Reasons To Switch To Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

10 Major Reasons To Switch To Linux

Post by scorp123 »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rfruth »

Good list, thanks !

((Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house)) :D :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Uncle Bob wrote:Sounds good enough, but as a new convert I'm not too impressed with the display driver quality compared to Windows machines. The laptop I have is a Compaq EVO N600c and with Win XP the display resolution could be set to 1280x1024, but now that I've installed Linux, I cannot get larger than 1024x768,
I have a Compaq Evo N610c here, and with Linux I can go as far up as 1400 x 1050. It all depends on the configuration I guess.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Uncle Bob wrote:By then i was so annoyed because then it would mean that i have to rebuild the machine again - for the 3rd time in 2 days.
Duuuuude, this ain't Windows you know :lol: ... You never ever do that (except in really rare cases, e.g. when your hardware is totally fu**ed up ... I am talking fried harddisk controllers, defective disks, fried CPU's, burning RAM banks and molten plastic flying around, smoke, fire and nuclear explosions ... ).

In Linux there is a realistic chance that you can fix (almost) any config error. You never reinstall or rebuild your machine just because of that. Never. You will soon notice that this is one of the things that sets Linux apart from Microsoft's BS operating systems. Windows breaks for no apparent reasons. Or it gets a virus somehow, or it gets owned by some worm and then does weird things.

If Linux behaves strange then either because of flaky or broken hardware or because you told it so :wink: If you reinstall it chances are that you will just repeat your mistake over and over again :roll: So it's better to accept the fact that you misconfigured something, ask for help and then fix the real cause of any problem.
Voila: Linux gets fixed, you save yourself a lot of frustration and even expand your knowledge ... 8)

Return to “Chat about Linux”