Porting Linux Mint tools to Arch (formerly Mint Arch Edit.)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sloshy

Re: Porting Linux Mint tools to Arch (formerly Mint Arch Edi

Post by Sloshy »

Just a reminder that the whole "project" thing shouldn't be brought up again since this isn't what this topic is about anymore. Anyways, after I fixed the mint-translations AUR package, I found they finally changed the package version inside the tarball... except that the package version changed too. So it's still inconsistent. They changed the folder in the tarball to 2010.05.14 finally, but the package version changed to 2010.06.12 *facepalm*. They attempted to fix the error, but didn't quite do it. I'll port a couple more packages this weekend; any suggestions?

PS: Linux Mint 9 LTS Isadora is really great! I installed it on my family laptop and I love how much more user-friendly it is than *gag* Lucid Lynx.
Craig_Dem

Post by Craig_Dem »

Mint Desktop is also out of date.

AUR version is 3.2.0
Current is 3.2.1
enedene

Post by enedene »

This is something I'd like to see, a quality distro like Mint based on Arch Linux. I think that it's even a better base for a rolling release than Debian Testing is.
Sloshy

Post by Sloshy »

enedene wrote:This is something I'd like to see, a quality distro like Mint based on Arch Linux. I think that it's even a better base for a rolling release than Debian Testing is.
It could be done, but I've decided that I'd rather let people build it from the ground up how they like it. Maybe I could have some sort of Arch Wiki ISO hybrid thing that helped you as you went along, though.
Sloshy

Post by Sloshy »

Long time indeed :D!
I'd have to look into it. Right now I'm trying to maintain school as well as a rhythmbox plugin package for Arch. I'll post again once I figure something out, what I want to do.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

What's the current status on this project? I started out on Mint and moved to Arch about 7 or 8 months ago. Been there ever since, but I do find that it isn't a distro meant for people that have never used Linux before. It doesn't cater at all to the "new user".

What exactly needs to be done to get this going? I'd be willing to throw a considerable amount of time into getting this rolling.
Sloshy

Post by Sloshy »

Right now I have the Linux Mint artwork package, mintDesktop, and an old version of mintBackup. mintMenu is also in AUR, ported by people before me.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Here's a few things...

1.) Need a project page/site? I'm sure I could find space on my server for you. I'd just need to setup FTP.

2.) Do you have a roadmap of things that need to be done still? Things that could be worked on?

3.) Are the mint AUR packages in need of a centralized (single) maintainer or are they actively enough maintained at the moment? I see that mintMenu is maintained by someone other than you, but you maintain pretty much everything else. I'd be willing to help start porting more mint-related packages to the AUR.

4.) I've been meaning to look into pacman repositories and running them. I'd love for a Mint pacman repository on my server to be an experiment in trying to get one running. I'll get back to you on it. (EDIT: This is entirely possible. Just read up on how to go about doing this and it seems pretty simple to do so. I'll have to experiment with it when I get home and get back to you.)
Sloshy

Post by Sloshy »

About the repository, please go ahead! That would be wonderful :D!

As for a roadmap, a package-group for installing everything as well as the other non-Debian-specific programs and libraries need to be ported. That's pretty much it. Seems easy enough, and I'll try to make some more packages this week. Thanks for reviving my interest in this project :)!
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

I've got the repository part down. Now I just have to do something that I didn't think was going to be difficult but is proving to be so: FTP setup.

Anyone have tips on a good ftpd that's easy to configure? I need to be able to define a "docroot" at something like /srv/repos/pkgs or some other path.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Which ones have you tried? I used to use ProFTPD but that was some years ago.
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/

Also, what distro is your server running? Would be better to use what is officially supported in it.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Alright, gave up on the FTP approach and decided to just do an HTTP repository.

Here ya go: http://repo.kittykatt.tk

EDIT: I did get ftp working, finally. ftp://repo.kittykatt.tk
Sloshy

Post by Sloshy »

KittyKatt wrote:Alright, gave up on the FTP approach and decided to just do an HTTP repository.

Here ya go: http://repo.kittykatt.tk

EDIT: I did get ftp working, finally. ftp://repo.kittykatt.tk
Thank you very much! It works brilliantly :)!

Anyways, I updated some more packages and added a bunch:
mint-artwork-gnome: New version.
mint-backgrounds-helena,
mint-backgrounds-isadora,
mint-backgrounds-julia: New backgrounds packages :D!
mint-translations: New version.
mint-x-icons: New icon package for LM 10!
mint-x-theme: New theme package for LM 10 as well!
and mintdesktop: New version.

KittyKat, you may want to put these in your repository. Thanks for being so awesome, mint community! :D
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

I'll get on it ASAP. :D
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Just saw this thread today. I have to say I'm one of the people nowhere ready for an arch based system, but have to say I'm impressed with what you're doing . Sloshy hopefully before to long I'll be at the point to try an arch install and I love the idea of being able to have the things that make mint so nice easily availabile.. What made me really want to post an appreciation for what you are doing is the fact you are doing this at your age. Heck I'm so old pc's and desktops were just hitting the market when I was your age . :lol: Think it might work on a Tandy? :lol: yes the last line was a bad joke.
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Added all of those new packages and updated packages to my repository.

http://repo.kittykatt.tk
ftp://repo.kittykatt.tk
jesica

Post by jesica »

this looks nice
ShaneCZ

Post by ShaneCZ »

Thank you, KittyKatt! :)
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

You're very welcome! Glad to help. ^^;
KittyKatt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KittyKatt »

Added a couple of new packages to my repository, which has changed URLs by the way.

The new repository can be found at http://repo.kittykatt.us

The new packages I've added are as follows...
  • fortunes-husse
  • mint-artwork-common
  • mint-artwork-debian
  • mint-artwork-kde
  • mint-info-arch (I've attempted to adapt the mint-info deb pkg to fit a new info file I made)
  • mintmenu-xfce4
  • mintsystem

Return to “Chat about Linux”