Peppermint OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superewza

Re: Peppermint OS

Post by Superewza »

Do you have more than 4GB Virtual Memory? Also, i don't know of any Linux applications that even come close to using up my 2GB RAM. Of course there's folding, but i'm not sure if it would run on this setup.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Superewza wrote:Do you have more than 4GB Virtual Memory?
You do if you have alot of RAM and/or a large amount of swap space.
Superewza wrote:Also, i don't know of any Linux applications that even come close to using up my 2GB RAM. Of course there's folding, but i'm not sure if it would run on this setup.
None that would be "cloud" apps, since that would mean you're doing a heck of alot of client-side processing for it to be in the cloud. ;) GIMP could easily blow 4GB though. In reality, people using PeppermintOS, and indeed most people using any OS, will be unlikely to hit that virtual memory limit very often. It's far worse without PAE because the OS and the applications are stuck with a total of 4GB virtual memory (as I understand it; my memory has faded on this topic a fair bit).

EDIT: Correction: The swap space allows more than 4GB of total virtual memory, but each application itself will be limited to 4GB. ie. what I said about the OS and applications sharing that 4GB was incorrect, that's just for physical memory. I'm more used to Windows memory management though, so perhaps Linux is somewhat different in this regard.
Last edited by randomizer on Sat May 22, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

True, but SWAP isn't really usable RAM. It's just somewhere to store processes while the OS frees up actual RAM.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Before I say anything else, please see my correction above. :oops:
Superewza wrote:True, but SWAP isn't really usable RAM. It's just somewhere to store processes while the OS frees up actual RAM.
Processes see virtual memory addresses which may map to either physical RAM or swap space depending on how much RAM you have left. I guess I'm just not sure I agree with your statement that it's not "usable RAM." Sure, it's not actually RAM, but as far as the processes are concerned there's no difference.

Anyway, back to Peppermint :D
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Yeah well i'm torenting it now, would probably be faster through HTML.

randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Only 2 peers? Where did you get the torrent from?
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

http://peppermintos.com/download/

First one at the bottom, it's gone up to 5 now but it hasn't done much for the speed. I'd stay on and seed it but it wouldn't really do anyone any good.

randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I'm seeding now but it's only bounding between 16 and 23kB/s.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Yeah, well i forgot i was on the live CD and rebooted and lost it all anyway, 25kb/s through HTML anyway so you know...
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Ouch, you need a local mirror :)
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Usually it levels out to 60kb/s if i'm lucky... that's something i've been meaning to ask though, is that normal? Speedtest usually says i get 0.5MB/s download and 0.35MB/s upload, but my actual download speed rarely goes over 60kb/s. I know i could improve it (and will) by changing ISP (from Virgin down an ADSL line) and stop daisy-chaining phone line cables but that still seems really far off.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Speedtest reports in megabits/second, not megabytes. So you're pretty much maxing out you're connection actually. Definitely keep your phone wiring short though, because those internal wires are usually not twisted pairs and so pick up noise like a flexible antenna. The shorter, the better.
Bluebris

Post by Bluebris »

Superewza wrote:How does this compare with Lubuntu? I prefer their choice of default browser though - chromium.

I'd say it's on a par with Lubuntu, which i also really like. They're looking at making Iron Browser available in the repositories soon (i believe Chromium already is). Iron is similar to Chromium, but without the data security "issues..."
rbpyogesh

Post by rbpyogesh »

I wanna try this OS...It looks very near and Light...

And I have an option to download from my own country not sure how India came up...

So Do u need Net for all the things...??

Or can we avoid the use of net and use this OS...??

Is there an option of Open Office...???
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

rbpyogesh wrote:I wanna try this OS...It looks very near and Light...

And I have an option to download from my own country not sure how India came up...

So Do u need Net for all the things...??

Or can we avoid the use of net and use this OS...??

Is there an option of Open Office...???
You don't need internet access for all things (though it does help). OpenOffice is easily installed with the Software Manager. Honestly, Mint 9 LXDE might be more up your alley if you want more general cohesiveness without depending on the web so much.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

That's the reason I don't use Peppermint OS on my netbook. I often use it on the train and obviously have no Internet access. But if I go installing a bunch of local applications it defeats the purpose of using Peppermint ;)
rbpyogesh

Post by rbpyogesh »

Well..Linux Mint has always been my Alley...If not Ubuntu...

But The latest version are not working my laptop...So since peppermint is more or less similar I thought I would give it a try...

And Thanks for the Tip...I would download and see how this goes...

Is this a Rolling Distro....Or...??
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Respins of the iso, which are more up to date and introduce some new features, are currently being released about once a month.
gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

i think peppermint is nice as a "i take this as my live usb which i use when i haven't got linux" distro. looks great as a portible OS. internet connection isn't a problem here, so that's great.

Return to “Chat about Linux”