Peppermint OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jay514

Re: Peppermint OS

Post by Jay514 »

Kendall, Congrats.
I downloaded & tested yesterday from a presistance USB install.
I had no luck installing the restricted broadcom STA driver for Wireless, so no internet on my laptop :(
Edit = I fixed the Brodcom STA Wireless Driver by installing again through synaptic & am posting from PeppermintOS Now :mrgreen:

The distro looks nice & is responsive ,nice LXDE goodies & some extras :D
Boot time was about the same on my machine as the Mint LXDE that I currently use, about 75sec to desktop.
After boot everything was snappy in LXDE.

One nice thing I noticed was the dedication that Kendall made , to ( Husse ) Mats Geier .Very Nice :D
You can read it HERE = http://peppermintos.com/archives/245
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

One nice thing I noticed was the dedication that Kendall made for the new OS , to ( Husse ) Mats Geier .Very Nice :D
You can read it HERE = http://peppermintos.com/archives/245
That is one of the nicest things I have ever seen done.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I burned a Peppermint disk tonight. The Live version looks nice, but I am having install problems. I put it on a clean partition of a disk with Windows, Ubuntu 10.04 and PCLOS, and, and GRUB failed to install properly. I get GRUB Error 15. It's too late, and I'm too tired to figure it out tonight. If anyone has a quick answer, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I play with it when I have some time again.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I have been testing Peppermint for a couple of days now and had a similar problem to waldo's. When installing Peppermint to a computer that already has Windows XP Pro, MInt 9 Main Edition, and Mint 9 x 64 installed. the peppermint installer ran perfectly until 94%. At this point Ubiquity normally installs Grub and detects other OS. In Peppermint, the installer just shut off.

I could run the installer again and at the partitioning screen it would show Peppermint as installed, but I could not boot into it. Then, as a last resort, I went into the Mint 9 OS that was controlling Grub and ran in terminal "sudo update-grub". It worked! Peppermint appeared in the boot menu and could be run and used..

I later installed Peppermint on a netbook ( Acer Aspire One D150 10"screen) as the only OS and had not problems. Grub installed perfectly and the system was bootable from the start.

Is it possible that there is a bug in the Grub installer that causes it to crash when other OS are detected?

By the way, Iposted some screenshots here.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I have been testing Peppermint for a couple of days now and had a similar problem to waldo's. When installing Peppermint to a computer that already has Windows XP Pro, MInt 9 Main Edition, and Mint 9 x 64 installed. the peppermint installer ran perfectly until 94%. At this point Ubiquity normally installs Grub and detects other OS. In Peppermint, the installer just shut off.

I could run the installer again and at the partitioning screen it would show Peppermint as installed, but I could not boot into it. Then, as a last resort, I went into the Mint 9 OS that was controlling Grub and ran in terminal "sudo update-grub". It worked! Peppermint appeared in the boot menu and could be run and used..
That's exactly what happened to me. I was surprised by the installer just disappearing. I wasn't watching, so I didn't know the details. I haven't tried your fix yet, but I will soon.
vger7

Post by vger7 »

I'd say Peppermint is on a roll :D
Distrowatch... last 7 days... #26!
Lot's of good buzz.

I've got it downloaded.
Will try it in VB as soon as I have some time.
Workin' to much these days.

Congrats Kendall!
CDS

Post by CDS »

I have tried some lightweight OSes, such as Puppy 4.3, Slitaz, Xpud,Chrunchbang,jolicloud with my acer netbook. So far, I feel the best with Peepermint OS without any headache. It just works without any problems and also I can install other softwares without any hard struggle.

Mr.D
Last edited by CDS on Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

How does this compare with Lubuntu? I prefer their choice of default browser though - chromium.
deleted

Post by deleted »

'Course my question is will there be a 64 bit version?
Anyone? Anyone? Kendall? Kendall? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyB ... re=related
Great job Kendall on the 32-bit
-Hinto
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Superewza wrote:How does this compare with Lubuntu? I prefer their choice of default browser though - chromium.
http://peppermintos.com/2010/05/we-are- ... r-freedom/

I didn't write that, but it does do an effective job of explaining the default browser issue and why I chose Firefox.
hinto wrote:'Course my question is will there be a 64 bit version?
None is planned at the moment. The installer will automatically pull in the pae kernel with the language packs on systems that need it though.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Ah...
So if I install on my AMD64 it will pull in the pae kernel so I can run XP64 (or Win7 64bit) in my VM?
-Hinto
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

hinto wrote:Ah...
So if I install on my AMD64 it will pull in the pae kernel so I can run XP64 (or Win7 64bit) in my VM?
-Hinto
I'm not sure if that's supported in the pae kernel, but I know it'll read RAM up to 64GB. I'll have to do a bit of research.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Okay, i have to use a Mac (A1181) for educational purposes, but i kinda hate the OSX OS. Normally i'd just stick a live CD in and run it from that, maybe even add a partition but i signed an agreement saying that among several other thousand things i wouldn't use unauthorized CDs with it.

Essentially, my question is - I quite like this, so what would i have to do to make a bootable USB of it, and with it what drivers would i have to put on for wifi and anything else? As for getting on their wifi network, shouldn't be to hard since i have the password and the admin password, but they have a weird proxy setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRC1Z-ZSEr8

:D
deleted

Post by deleted »

Kendall wrote: I'm not sure if that's supported in the pae kernel, but I know it'll read RAM up to 64GB. I'll have to do a bit of research.
I *think* pae allows 32 bit OS's to run 64 bit vms.
-Hinto
deleted

Post by deleted »

Bummer...
I went to install PeppermintOS over an existing Linux.
The partitions were ext4 and jfs (and swap).
PeppemintOS couldn't mount the existing jfs partition (I'm guessing ext4 was OK)
-Hinto
deleted

Post by deleted »

I'm moving partitions around with gparted (mint had problems re-installing, too)
After gparted, I'll try Peppermint again.
-H
deleted

Post by deleted »

After running gparted and moving/resizing, things went on....
Installing now.
-Hinto
deleted

Post by deleted »

Went on without a hitch.
Installed Peppermint OS.
Installed the pae kernel.
Installed VMPlayer
I can run XP64 as a guest....
Pretty cool. I need to install konky or whatever it's called to see the load.
-Hinto
vincent

Post by vincent »

I had trouble installing Peppermint at first...the Ubiquity installer kept on locking up at the Migration Assistant stage (it detected no suitable stuff to migrate even with LM9 and Windows 7 on separate partitions, but after doing a bit of research and man page reading, I finally figured out that I could just run Ubiquity with the annoying Migration Assistant thingy (from a terminal: "ubiquity --no-migration-assistant"). Peppermint worked beautifully after that. Kudos to Kendall for making a fantastic new distro! :)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Kendall wrote:I'm not sure if that's supported in the pae kernel, but I know it'll read RAM up to 64GB. I'll have to do a bit of research.
I believe it still limits applications to 4GB of virtual memory though. It means you can run more applications, just not more memory-heavy ones. :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”