Live CD distro project

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Live CD distro project

Post by civint »

I am planning to make my own version of knoppix (although it'll be designed for HDD install....) for personal use (and to distribute amongst my friends) with emphasis being on starting with a blank canvas, with synaptic (or package manager software) to make it truly your own distro.

But anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to add nvidia drivers to the distro, so that running it will give you what your nvidia graphics card is capable of (basically 1280x1024 resolution) from the word "go". I've seen it donw, but not with knoppix...any help, much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We're not doing it. Drivers are not present in Linux Mint, only envy is there to help the user do it himself. You should talk to Sabayon instead which includes them in their distro and hot link them at startup (if I'm not mistaken).

Beware of the GPL infringements when linking the drivers to the kernel... The kernel is GPLed, by making modules you're distributing something people can ask the source code for (says the GPL), and since you can't provide the source code for closed drivers you could be doing something illegal. The trick is to make the user himself link the drivers.... so technically you're not going against the GPL...

I think Mepis might be doing that as well... not sure at all.

(I always buy Intel ;)).
Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux”